Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote access question

Options
  • 21-07-2007 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

I have a client running a 3 PC network and I want to be able to access their network from home for purposes, Any suggestion.

I am looking and maybe running widows remote desktop and getting them a static IP address but will that just get me into 1 pc, surely I would need a static IP for each PC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

You could use Virtual Private Networking (VPN). When you access this through your broadband connection at home, you will be on their IP Subnet as well as being on the internet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

a static IP guarantees that the internet facing address will be scanned
    using windows guarantees that there will be at least one "take complete control of your machine" exploit every two months, though not all can be done through the windows firewall, but worth remembering

you need a VPN to protect them from the interweb

what protects them from the internet now ??
    most routers have port forwarding so you can have the static address on the router mapped to the PC - don't forget to change the port so it's not too obvious. If the router can do the authentication for a vpn, happy days most only offer to pass though and have your sever do the authentication.

Advertisement