Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I drag files between partitions without them copying

• 21-07-2007 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

I have 3 partitions on my pc that I have shortcuts to on my desktop. Whenever I drag and drop a file into one of those partitions, instead of the file moving to the folder, like it does when dragging and dropping files within a partition, it makes a copy of it in the partition.

Is there a setting I can change to stop this from happening? Meaning whenever I drag a file to another partition it will remove itself from the original location.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is it a big deal to delete the original or does it take a long time to copy files?

One programe that does this is ACDsee32 a file viewer programme but it'll move any sort of file.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

You could drag and drop with the right mouse button and select Move Here upon release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats works fine too! (just tried it for first time :o )

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I think holding down shift while you drag does it too.

Also holding down control while dragging between folders on the same drive should copy instead of moving.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you drag / drop files to different folders on the same drive the default is MOVE

if to different drives the default is COPY

if you hold down the shift key when you drag/drop files - it will MOVE / SHIFT them to the other locatoin regardless of which drive

if you hold down the Control key it will COPY them to the other location ( you should see a little + icon when you do this )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Cheers for all the advice, you learn something new everyday. I didn't know about the right click move or holding shift. Both work perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Couldn't you just ctrl+x and ctrl+v it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Zillah wrote:
    Couldn't you just ctrl+x and ctrl+v it?

yeah but i wanted a solution that didn't involve using the keyboard. I'm a leftie, so to press ctrl+x or ctrl+v i have to take my hand off the mouse. The right click move suits me fine

Advertisement