Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Are They Splitting ? Garden ?

Options
  • 21-07-2007 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hI again, my victoria plus are a nice size, not ripe yet, but are splitting in the centre. Had a great crop 2 years ago. Last year not so good. This year good crop again. Why is the split happening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Who is victoria, and why is she splitting up over a garden? :p

I presume you mean plums, mamags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mamags

Lordy, Lordy, I do get things wrong. Plums man.....Plums.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

mamags wrote:
    Had a great crop 2 years ago. Last year not so good. This year good crop again.

This is biennial bearing caused by fruit overcrowding.
    The usual way to solve this is to thin the fruits in early June and again in late June, leaving fruit about 4 inches apart.
    You may still take the chance to do this now, possibly promoting a crop next year.
    mamags wrote:
    hI again, my victoria plums are a nice size, not ripe yet, but are splitting in the centre.

This is unfortunately another down point of our wet, wet summer.
    When the plums fruit is repeatedly wet by rain, the drops that hang onto the end of the fruit causes the skin to crack.
    The netting which is often used to keep birds off the fruit will go some way to preventing this problem next season.

Advertisement