Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New all in one phone

• 21-07-2007 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

With my mp3 player breaking recently and me in desperate need of a new phone, ive decided to combine the cash for the 2 and buy one of these funky phones that will do everything for you.

I know the apple iphone is out soon. But i dont really like ipods and dont like being a sheep. Im sure theres better options out there for the money.

What i would like is-
    decent camera

Good mp3 player (do the new phones just use expandable slots for cards? How many gigs in one card would be the max?) with good sound quality and easy to use

have GPS capabilites - wpuld love for my phone to double up as a sat nav

Not be a monster of a thing. the smaller and more portable the better!

If it had wifi it would be cool.

Reliability. I like my prodcts to be able to withstand some abuse.

I reckon i could afford about 300 - 450 absolute max.

If you people could make some suggestions with good and bad poitns I could then do some further research and decide on a product.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

looks good. Dam expensive though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

It's so worth it! (IMO)

How much memory can the N95 be expanded to

I read (here I think) of someone putting a 4GB card in and it worked fine.

I've got a 2GB card in mine but a 1GB card came with the phone in the box.

Bad point about the N95 is battery life is not really good when you play with the toys... you may wanna have a spare just in case...

• Advertisement

Sony Ericsson P1i. You would have to get an add on antenna for the GPS though, but do you really need it? Uses the M2 memory stick, the latest of which are 4gb. Fantastic screen, 3.2mp camera, mp3, wifi etc.

The N95 can only expand to 2gb by the looks of it, though I would push it and try a 4gb. I dont know if that would be enough space for use as an mp3 player. I would like at least 8gb+ is there any phone capable of that yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

The N95 can only expand to 2gb by the looks of it, though I would push it and try a 4gb. I dont know if that would be enough space for use as an mp3 player. I would like at least 8gb+ is there any phone capable of that yet?

N95 supports that latest 4gb Sandisk cards, http://www.sandisk.com/Compatibility/Device(8461)-Nokia-N95.aspx. Sandisk have an 8gb on the way, but I don't know if the phone will support it.

And yes, the N95 is the biz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

i'm fairly sure the n95 supports micro-sdhc cards meaning it could take up to 32gb cards when they come out. I think 8gb micro-sdhc cards are available at the moment which should work in it.

btw the htc p3600/trinity should serve as a decent keyboard-less alternative. it can be used as a phone/pda/gps/mp3 player and has hsdpa and wifi. it should take mini-sdhc cards ie upto 32gb with the proper rom on it - it's still atleast 500 though.

I suppose i could just get 2x 4gb cards, although thats a bit of hassle.

There expensive enough cards, i will have to do a lot of overtime this month to pay for all this :D

Looks the biz though.

Am going to keep my eyes open for other options though to, I see theres a few imitation chinese iphones doing the rounds on ebay. dont think id risk it though.

Anyone know where the chepaest N95 can be bought, sim free (or is it easy to unlock it from a network,thats if it can be got pre paid rather than billpay), either in the UK or Ireland? I live in london for 3 weeks of the month so would be able to get it there if its cheaper!

And yep I really need the sat nav, I do a bit of driving around London and a easy to use handy sat nav would be excellent and well used

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I think the cheapest you can find it sim free is here for 679:
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/541256/art/nokia/n95-in-plum.html
    However I havn't done a lot of searching so someone else might know of a cheaper website, obviously ebay will have a few but you're likely not to get a warranty if you buy from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

If you're thinking of buying online komplett have it for €645. That's the deep plum version though. For some reason the sand version is 720.

I havent looked around that much but that's the cheapest i've seen so far.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=327329

I suppose i could just get 2x 4gb cards, although thats a bit of hassle.

There expensive enough cards, i will have to do a lot of overtime this month to pay for all this :D

Looks the biz though.

Am going to keep my eyes open for other options though to, I see theres a few imitation chinese iphones doing the rounds on ebay. dont think id risk it though.

Anyone know where the chepaest N95 can be bought, sim free (or is it easy to unlock it from a network,thats if it can be got pre paid rather than billpay), either in the UK or Ireland? I live in london for 3 weeks of the month so would be able to get it there if its cheaper!

And yep I really need the sat nav, I do a bit of driving around London and a easy to use handy sat nav would be excellent and well used

if satnav is important to you ask the lads here with n95s about its gps.

afaik for voice-guided navigation with the n95's satnav app you'll need a good data connection.

that is unless you can easily use a 3rd party satnav app like route66 etc with the n95- i'm not sure- as I say ask the lads here.

the o2 xda orbit is another device that you might be interested in. you might be able to get it cheap with a good o2 plan.

nice size and it covers phone/pda/gps/mp3 as well but it uses ordinary micro-sd not micro-sdhc cards so probably limited to 2gb cards. no 3g on it but it has edge which afaik you can get an "unlimited" data o2 add-on for here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭zaratustra

Yes, but the gps in nokia n95 is just wasting time. Nokia n95 is much, much, much better then IPHONE! I will weit for the N95 8GB version :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

mkennedy wrote:
    if satnav is important to you ask the lads here with n95s about its gps.

afaik for voice-guided navigation with the n95's satnav app you'll need a good data connection.

that is unless you can easily use a 3rd party satnav app like route66 etc with the n95- i'm not sure- as I say ask the lads here.

You don't need a data connection, the inbuilt maps works fine however with a data connection the satellite lock on at startup works much quicker. It's not the best satnav in the world but is fantastic as part of an all in one package.

To really make the most of the N95 you'd need the Three unlimited broadband package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

rc28 wrote:
    I think the cheapest you can find it sim free is here for 679:
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/541256/art/nokia/n95-in-plum.html
    However I havn't done a lot of searching so someone else might know of a cheaper website, obviously ebay will have a few but you're likely not to get a warranty if you buy from there.

I got mine off eBay for €480. Is an O2 unlocked from the uk. haven't had an issues as of yet.

I've been using the maps on it and its not too bad but not great for a satnav. Even Nokia say that and that its more for walking and that. You can get addon software from the nokia site for tracking your activities (walking/running/cycling) that uses the GPS to track you.

But it is a great phone a lot of the features I do like on it. the ones above, the camera, the VOIP option and the mp3 player, Pitty the battery life isnt great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the n95 8gb version has no microsd slot from what i've read, so when the rest of us have a 32gb sdhc card when they come out in x amount of time, you'll still be stuck with a non-upgradeable 8gb n95.

also, 8gb microsd's aren't going to be out till mid-2008 according to this:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/16/samsung-develops-8gb-microsd-card/

expansys.ie have the n95 sim free for 609 euro att he moment.

and, route66 works a treat on the n95 and seems to use significantly less battery power than nokia maps does.

i'm just p1ssed that the n-series never got a proper official nokia (charging) car kit. :(

Also from the looks of the pics online, the 8GB N95 does not have a cover for the cam... Not good IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,258 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

vibe666 wrote:
    the n95 8gb version has no microsd slot from what i've read, so when the rest of us have a 32gb sdhc card when they come out in x amount of time, you'll still be stuck with a non-upgradeable 8gb n95.

also, 8gb microsd's aren't going to be out till mid-2008 according to this:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/16/samsung-develops-8gb-microsd-card/

expansys.ie have the n95 sim free for 609 euro att he moment.

and, route66 works a treat on the n95 and seems to use significantly less battery power than nokia maps does.

i'm just p1ssed that the n-series never got a proper official nokia (charging) car kit. :(
    how much does it cost to use the route66 satnav on the n95? In terms of initial purchase price, any annual subscription, and is there a cost to actually use it(such as a data rate)? Also, is it easy to get/install?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭HiredGun

Wait a few months. Nokia has announced the N81. There are two versions, one that takes memory cards and the other with 8Gb built in memory. It is specifically meant to double as a music player. It has the navigation software built in but for SatNav you need a separate GPS module.

See http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4515020

Alternatively, have a look at the 6110 Navigator. I should be out with some of the Irish operators soon. This Nokia has all the GPS functionality built in, but may be less good as a music player.

Both devices are less expensive than the N95 (a new version of which is on the way too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

looks good. Dam expensive though!

If your're spending that much on a phone, why not get it on a contract, according to Vodafone web site it is 409 online offer for a contract

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The Nokia 5700 XpressMusic is a good enough phone. Swivel 2MP Camra, MP3 Player (supports lots of other formats to), FM Radio, comes with data cabels and headphones.. Pretty good :)

Sony Ericsson P1i is only €490 sim free from komplett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

skearon wrote:
    If your're spending that much on a phone, why not get it on a contract, according to Vodafone web site it is 409 online offer for a contract

ditto.

it's around 400e on both voda or o2 on contract, although surprisingly 3 Ireland don't have it yet, and according to one of their shop monkeys won't have it till at least xmas time due to 'extended compatability testing' on their network, even tho they have it in the UK on 3 since not long after it was launched.

Advertisement