Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skyDSL and Vista

Options
  • 21-07-2007 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

As much as I dislike Vista I've decided to install it on the "family" computer which is connected to the net with skyDSL.

With most devices which don't have Vista specific drivers, XP drivers seem to work fine under Vista.

But my PCI DVBsat Card doesn't want to play ball, I tried to use the XP drivers but I got a yet another Blue screen of death type thing (very common in Vista these blue screens eh)

I searched the net and found the manufacturer of the card, TechnoTrend, downloaded some badly named Vista drivers from their crap website. I used these to install the PCI card, which kinda worked. The seems to have been partially installed, under the Device Manager it shows up as a DVB turner etc.

But then on installation of the skyDSL software, it doesn't recognize the card.

So anyway to cut a medium length story short, does anyone have skyDSL running on Vista.

If so, what make of PCI card do you have, what drivers did you use, where you get said drivers.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Try contacting SkyDSL by email. Their support is very good. They answered my questions within a day or two of sending my email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

Yeah I emailed them last saturday and got this reply:
    The drivers are not Vista-compatible yet and at the present moment, we are not in a position to tell exactly, when the according update will be available.

We regret that we cannot respond to your query in a more informative manner.

Best regards,

Your TELES skyDSL Team

Ah well, I don't like the way Vista handles my dialup connection anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CheckerResponse

Hi there,

SkyDsl is available on windows vista, your PCI card and software is not needed anymore, we supply the service in the republic of ireland and are the main contact here.

You can, if you need to, get it running on vista call us on 01 524 0382 go to the main website for ireland http://www.skydslireland.net

When you run the skydsl software on a vista machine you're bound to run into difficultly. Technotrend cards are compatiable with vista but the problem is skydsl's software and the hardware working together.

There is a "skydsl box" available that works independent of the computer, no software. It's stable and verstile i.e networking is easy.

Hope this helps.

David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cnicolas73

Hi !
    I used skydsl since two years
    I bought Vista,
    and did not managed since 6 months to use skydsl anymore

I finaly decided to buy the famous SKYDSL BOX
    that I received two days ago

I don't manage to make it "turn" normaly with vista
    Impossible to configure it since I've installed the 1.2 firmware as suggested by skydsl...

If one of U could help me...
    I would be so gratefull !!

(I apologize for my english, but I'm french...)
    Thanks,
    Nico !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Silly question, but what advantages do you have from running vista on your family computer? Everybody i know (Including myself) have re installed XP on vista machines?

Vista is terrible, its slow, takes up a lot of disk space, needs a lot of memory and is the pits (My views).

Xp is far better, best operating software for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Just wondering is skyDSL any good? - I've been looking at the way it works... do you need to use upload much? - what are the bills for upload like if you dont mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cnicolas73

About my Vista choice,
    I had XP SP1, each time I tried to install SP2, I had troubles !
    lot of them, too much with many programs !

I finaly gave up and bought Vista so as to be abble to install new programms wich needded at least SP2...

And about upload,
    I have no choice that using my analogic phone line,
    I so supposed to upload 56K, but I really have 40 Kbps !!

I leave in a small village where adsl by phone is not available...

Well, thanks for answers, but I still need advices !
    and no suggest to re-install XP SP1 that I already tried & gave up !
    Thanks,
    Nico.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I didnt realise there was problems with XP service pack 2. I have Xp prof service pack 1 and never seem to have problems installing the downloaded SP2 after.

Another option is for you to get BB via a mobile phone operator. My friends in villages outside Galway have BB with three and also o2.

Advertisement