Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directions - Waterford Airport

• 21-07-2007 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Can anyone please give me directions to waterford airport from the bridge in waterford. I have no idea of names of steets etc can i have directions for a dummy. Need to get their in the morning. Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Can anyone please give me directions to waterford airport from the bridge in waterford. I have no idea of names of steets etc can i have directions for a dummy. Need to get their in the morning. Thank you :)

Drive down the quay towards the tower hotel and drive straight on at the traffic lights just after the hotel (you will need to be in the right hand lane).

Keep driving straight on through several sets of traffic lights (past the Maryland, Muldoons and WIT College Street campus).

When you see Morris's DIY on your left hand side, take the slip road to the left after that and drive straight on. You will come to a roundabout with Superquinn on your right hand side, keep going straight forward and you are now on the Tramore Road.

Keep driving along that road until you come to the next roundabout and turn left - you are now on the outer ring road.

At the second roundabout you come to, turn right and you should now be on the airport road (more like a boreen). Keep driving down that way and you will see the airport on your right.

I'm sure there's probably a shorter route, but this seems the easiest to me if you're not familiar with the place.

There's a map here (and directions for alternative routes).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The airport is signposted through the city. Just follow the little aeroplanes! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The above mentioned route will take much longer as you have to go through the city centre traffic, out onto the Tramore Road traffic, go onto the bypass which snails along, and then eventually you get to the Airport Road.

I suggest going the below route. Its the one which is recommended, and is marked on road traffic signs with little aeroplanes as mentioned by fricatus :).

Alternative (Shorter) Route::

Drive down the quay, keeping in the left lane. The first set of traffic lights you will come to will be the ones at the Clock Tower, only a short distance from the bridge. Continue past these lights and you will soon be seeing a large hotel - known as the Tower Hotel - which will have a set of traffic lights beside it.

Make a left turn and continue going straight on (for a considerable distance) until you come to a small roundabout. Take the first exit of this roundabout.

Next up, you will come across a large roundabout (you will have just passed some shops, including an Xtra Vision, and a traffic calming system) - continue going straight on until the next roundabout (approach in the right hand lane) where you should take the third exit off. (This Roundabout is right beside Ardkeen Hospital) Continue going straight on.

You will now come to another roundabout beside the Tesco Petrol Station - go straight on.

You will now approach another roundabout, which you should go straight through onto the dual carriageway. Continue on this road until you approach the next roundabout - where you should take the first exit of.

Continue going straight on - this is the Airport Road you are now on. :)

---
    MAP
    ---

To follow the route on the map... (Route A)
    http://www.waterfordairport.ie/ns/content/view/45/103/

Over the bridge, follow route to tower hotel (left turn at the hotel traffic lights!), then follow the route to Waterford Regional Hospital (where the roundabout is, taking the third exit!), then continue straight on until you arrive at the "Airport Roundabout" (here, take the left lane and first exit), continue on this road (isn't the best of roads) until you arrive at the Waterford Airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Easiest & Shortest route

Drive down the quay towards the tower hotel and drive straight on at the traffic lights just after the hotel (you will need to be in the right hand lane). Marked N25

At the next set of Lights turn Left. You will pass the Fire Station

at the next set of Lights go straight ahead

you will come to a roundabout (Church on left) - go straight ahead

you will now come to the airport road roundabout - go Straight ahead

airport about 5 miles on right

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

Thanks everyone!

bard, is that small church you are talking about the sacret heart church. If i go straight ahead is it up by the candy man pub, to keep to the left of the candy pub??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

^^^^ Yep thats the one! its just the candy :p :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

Thanks guys. You'd never think i was from waterford county, worked in waterford for seven years, and lived there for one. I'm still not sure how to get about the place. Thanks a mill.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Bards wrote:
    Easiest & Shortest route

Drive down the quay towards the tower hotel and drive straight on at the traffic lights just after the hotel (you will need to be in the right hand lane). Marked N25

At the next set of Lights turn Left. You will pass the Fire Station

at the next set of Lights go straight ahead

you will come to a roundabout (Church on left) - go straight ahead

you will now come to the airport road roundabout - go Straight ahead

airport about 5 miles on right

Id have to disagree.. Im assuming the OP knows that route, but thats pretty tricky route - easy to make a wrong turn with narrow roads and more turns. Also, the lights at the Tower Hotel allow for a right turn quicker with less traffic hassle - going straight on always leads to build up of traffic!

Isnt the easier thing to do is turn left at the lights and straight on up past the Church to the roundabouts? Instead of going down the next road which brings you to the same point but more of a hassle?

Just from experience, but Waterford City people would know better then I would I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Jesus lads, you'd swear we were trying to direct him across Shanghai!

Drive out towards John's Park or Tramore, and once you're on the outskirts, just ask for directions. You speak English, right? Or at least the approximation that passes for English in Waterford.

Here's the key phrase: "I'm lookin' for de ayerpourt buoy*, anny idea what rowed goues out dere?"

* "gerl" if addressing a female

So he aint going to Shanghai? Damn. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭looksee

By the time he gets to the outer ring road this thread should be in the County forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭teckno

In all fairness the signposting to our airport is brutal and with the current investment in the airport the city and county coco's should get a few decent signposts in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭teckno

In all fairness the signposting to our airport is brutal and with the current investment in the airport the city and county coco's should get a few decent signposts in place.

Advertisement