Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Guitar..on my own..advice please!

• 21-07-2007 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi,

Im just after finishing the Leaving Cert, and now that I have a bit of time on my hands, I'd like to start to learn guitar.
    I'd prefer to do it on my own, as I can't be bothered going to classes or anything..anyone know of any good sites that go through the chords etc..?
    I play piano, so I'm not completely musically void.:D

Also, how much would a basic acoustic cost?

Thanks,
    Alan!;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

The best way to learn is to start with a few chords, preferably the chords to a song you know, practice holding the chords and strumming, and then as soon as you can try to string them together. Start with major and minor chords, C, G, D, A, E - leave the F and B chords for later (they're tough for beginners).

This site looks useful, I haven't used much myself but looks to have some good info.

http://www.guitarlessonworld.com/lessons/index.htm

Classes are not necessary, but can help you improve more quickly than playing on your own.

Learning to play is not difficult, there's not a huge amount to learn to get up and runnin, but it takes a LOT of practice! The main thing is to have fun with it.

As for guitars, Yamaha and Epiphone make good quality beginners acoustic guitars at reasonable prices, around €150-€200. Just so you know, you don't have to start with acoustic. If you want to play acoustic, fine, but if you want to play electric there's nothing wrong with learning on an electric!

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Oh, one other thing. here's a handy site for finding chords

http://chordfind.com/

And for learning songs, youtube is your friend! You have it so easy these days there was none of this around when I was learning guitar...grumble grumble...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alancork

thanks blackhorse!! I'll try to get a guitar now at the weekend..ya, I've tried youtube, very good..thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

UltimateGuitar.Com is where you'll find the chords for just about any song you can think of, including loads of stuff that wasn't even written for guitar. Even just googling 'guitar chords' will get you printable sheets of chord diagrams. If you have experience with piano, guitar will be a piece of piss. it's easier to learn on electric though because the fretboard is narrower and the strings lighter. Enjoy and hope your LC results worked out!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

Oh, one other thing. here's a handy site for finding chords

http://chordfind.com/

And for learning songs, youtube is your friend! You have it so easy these days there was none of this around when I was learning guitar...grumble grumble...:D

Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I played for years thinkin i was great until recently i discovered i was actually ****e :D I was playing the ould geetar incorrectly in many ways.As you are just starting out and you are serious about it you should take lessons from someone reputable or as an alternative Youtube has a lot of decent lessons (hopefully you have Broadband) just try to avoid the many mistakes i picked up along the way. Being self taught ain't awlays such a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

yes i would agree, im no expert by any means but spend some time with someone whos good on guitar, or a lesson or two to start you off with basic strumming and chords, i know a few self thought guitarists who pride themselves in never getting a lesson, but if you were to blindfold me i would know everyone of them from sound from sloppy harsh strumming, if you can get that early on you'll sound much better even if your crap...if you know what i mean :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

get the book the complete guitar player...and learn to get your head around music. I.e. what chords are etc and how they fit into songs

Thanks everyone, very helpful!

I know a good bit about chords, progressions etc from the piano, and I also studied music for the Junior Cert a few years ago, so I just need to get hands on now and give it a blast.

Will i need a capo ya??

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

they don't cost much, get one anyway.
    i did the same as you 2 months ago now.

what are you going for acoustic or electric?

• Advertisement

Acoustic for the moment, got one for free off the cousin to start off, so handy out!..

However!...broke one of the strings.. bought new ones, and don't really have much of a clue how to start... If any of ye could be bothered to explain I'd be much appreciative..!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 yamaha

this is a cool guy to look at http://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoeSongs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

yeah...he seems to give good lessons alright. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aachangingstringsd.htm

I found that a good guide to changing strings, it would be worth your while to get a couple of lessons, theres nothing worse than bad guitar playing habits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭TheBigRedDog

If ur headin to college join a musicians club or whatever's there. Musicians will give u good tips and make learning so much more enjoyable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

If you have mates or family members who play watch them and ask annoying questions, get a chord book, like somebody mentioned, and try to play through as many songs as you can, get to know one or two, someone also recommended lessons, that is a good idea, but I know many self taught guys who are masters, I my self am self taught and I play to a (IMHO) reasonably proficient level. If you want to improve join a band, or form something with mates, you're never to green to do it, the only way to improve is to play with people better than you, also music is relative, if you play piano guitar will make a lot of sense to you, and most importantly have fun with it,

The Justin Sandercoe site, justinguitar.com, is brilliant, he starts with the real basics, he's after helping me a lot!

I can play all the basic chords now, I;m after toughening up my finger tips.. so its all going good! Im just after starting college alright, so must look for a club to join..

Thanks for all the help!:D

Advertisement