Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jury finds O'Reilly guilty of murder

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

paulie42 wrote:
    I firmly believe that his brother and sister had a part in the murder too. Think about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prove it.

I do not recall hearing of any charges or conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, or aiding and abetting in regards to the brother and sister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

event wrote:
    so?

have you a brother or sister?
    have you never taken their side in a row with their spouse?

While JOR is an evil man, but there is no need to bring in his sister, or tar her with the same brush.

There is no way she knew that her brother was going to kill his wife, you can hardly blame her.

if you disliked your brother/sisters spouse and then your sibling started slagging said spouse off, would you say nothing? Id say most people would agree with their sibling.

to call her an evil witch is wrong IMO

I know, I know, blood is thicker than water and all that. I have a sister and I freely admit my first instinct would be to side with her no matter what she was accused of. BUT if you read the emails his sister sent to him, it was obvious that she had a deep-seated hatred of Rachel as well.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if she was in on it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

lukin wrote:
    I know, I know, blood is thicker than water and all that. I have a sister and I freely admit my first instinct would be to side with her no matter what she was accused of. BUT if you read the emails his sister sent to him, it was obvious that she had a deep-seated hatred of Rachel as well.

ive read them, and i dont see a hatred
    perhaps a dislike, but hatred? thats a bit much, and we have no way of knowing that

and to say she could have been in on it, jesus christ

i wonder the way some people's minds work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Marksie wrote:
    Prove it.

I do not recall hearing of any charges or conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, or aiding and abetting in regards to the brother and sister.

Just another one post wonder - tbh imo the post you refer to is stirring and may be conceivced as slanderous and really should be deleted..
    his nasty emails to his nasty witch sister were a eureka moment, what a complete kn@cker - never let him out, now go get the alibi monkey from the bus depot:mad:

I was always of the believe that a person was innocent until proven gulity - Joe O'Reilly was proven guilty.. the rest of his family was not..

I don't think this is going anywhere - there will always be some extremists that will tar everyone with the same brush and not discuss the facts of the matter rationally..

Fair enough he was a fktard monster murdering cnut (judged by a jury of his peers)- but can you honestly label all his blood relations the same? If you can, then what choices for his children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

lukin wrote:

That dislike was fed by lies from her brother. If you really read the emails, you would have seen that she started out trying to get her brother to work it out with his wife.

At the end she was fully in agreement with him, but that was after a concerted campaign of lies and disinformation from her brother. Also bear in mind that all she thought he was going to do was look for a separation and custody of the kids.

Nowhere in his emails did he say he was going to murder her, so how you could make that jump is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Did jury duty once in the Circuit Criminal Court (minor offences), wasn't impressed in any way with the way system works.
    QUOTE]

A girl i know did jury duty as well and she was really unimpressed. I think there were two or three trials on and they were all for rape/sexual offences and of course she didn't get picked cos she was a girl. The lawyer for the defence picked all men. It's a bit ridiculous that they get to select from a group of people and can pick the ones they think will be agree with the victim less, although I hope all you male would feel just as disgusted by it as the females.

watna wrote:
    A girl i know did jury duty as well and she was really unimpressed. I think there were two or three trials on and they were all for rape/sexual offences and of course she didn't get picked cos she was a girl. The lawyer for the defence picked all men. It's a bit ridiculous that they get to select from a group of people and can pick the ones they think will be agree with the victim less, although I hope all you male would feel just as disgusted by it as the females.

That's quite normal. Jury selection has become an art form in the States with people actually working full time as jury experts. In the O'Reilly case, there were only three women initially picked on the jury, with one excused because she admitted to a prediposition of guilt.

You could argue that it is stereotyping, but you can also argue that it prevents miscarriages of justice because of such predispositions created by sex, class, background or even acquaintance with the accused or the victim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Does anyone know how the cops managed to get those emails??.........did they seize his pc or something??

philstar wrote:
    Does anyone know how the cops managed to get those emails??.........did they seize his pc or something??

Yes, it was a laptop i think, that he used at work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

I don't doubt that the man is guilty, but there seems to be very little to have convicted him. Just because you are a total bastard, cheat on your wife several times and mouth her off to all and sundry, does not mean you murdered her.
    From what I can see there was no real evidence in the case. It was circumstantial and there is 'reasonable doubt' in all of it. I can see him getting the right to appeal and being found innocent on appeal. Unfortunately.

I don't doubt that the man is guilty, but there seems to be very little to have convicted him. Just because you are a total bastard, cheat on your wife several times and mouth her off to all and sundry, does not mean you murdered her.
    From what I can see there was no real evidence in the case. It was circumstantial and there is 'reasonable doubt' in all of it. I can see him getting the right to appeal and being found innocent on appeal. Unfortunately.

Circumstancial evidence is 'real' evidence. Hard evidence such as witnesses and forensic evidence are very rare in domestic murder cases because there is usually only two witnesses (the murderer and the victim) and forensic evidence is unsafe as the murderer usually lives with the victim.

What convicted O'Reilly was the fact that his phone showed he was at the murder scene at the time of the murder, and his alibi witness only had a phone conversation with him at the same time in which he claimed he was at the back of the Broadstone depot. He didn't actually see him there until later. That phone conversation was shown to place him in the vicinity of his home.

On top of that his car (or one very like it) was picked up on CCTV travelling between his work and his home for the entire route again when he said he was somewhere else. No CCTV evidence was available anywhere to back up his story as to where he was.

If he had said that he had returned home to pick up something he had forgotten, then the case against him could not have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. The fact that he had lied was the most telling piece of evidence against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

rrpc wrote:
    The fact that he had lied was the most telling piece of evidence against him.
    Personally, I don't think that someone lying about their whereabouts is sufficient to convict in any case. Let's say, for example that you're in said shoes. Your wife has been murdered, you know you didn't do it, but you know that you've been mouthing off to coworkers about having affairs, you've been sending emails to people badmouthing her, and to top it all off, you returned home on that day and saw her barely an hour or two before she was murdered.

Few people in that situation would put their hands up and say, "Yep, I was there but I didn't do it." As we've seen, being there, or even being in the vicinity at the time, causes people to click, and think "Guilty". In this case though, you're right - he should have come clean beforehand. The fact that he maintained he hadn't been there is an addendum to the circumstantial evidence.

Any jury would understand a person lying about their whereabouts initially, but then coming clean later on, before the trial. Even telling his coworker that he was at the depot may have just been him hiding the fact that he snuck home to grab a quick coffee or whatever.
    It's the fact that he maintained his lies that caused him trouble.

In Joe O'Reilly's case though, I believe the jury would have found him guilty regardless of how much he "fessed up" prior to the case.

seamus wrote:
    Personally, I don't think that someone lying about their whereabouts is sufficient to convict in any case. Let's say, for example that you're in said shoes. Your wife has been murdered, you know you didn't do it, but you know that you've been mouthing off to coworkers about having affairs, you've been sending emails to people badmouthing her, and to top it all off, you returned home on that day and saw her barely an hour or two before she was murdered.
    Agreed, but it's the continued lying that realy does it. Most people when faced with the phone and CCTV evidence would have come clean about their whereabouts. In addition, if it was really someone else, there would have been at least some evidence that they were there however small, be it witnesses seeing a car, signs of a break-in, CCTV images of another vehicle (I'm assuming that every vehicle passing by that camera was followed up) or some other forensic evidence.
    seamus wrote:
    Any jury would understand a person lying about their whereabouts initially, but then coming clean later on, before the trial. Even telling his coworker that he was at the depot may have just been him hiding the fact that he snuck home to grab a quick coffee or whatever.
    Except that the guy admitted that they had covered for each other before.
    seamus wrote:
    In Joe O'Reilly's case though, I believe the jury would have found him guilty regardless of how much he "fessed up" prior to the case.
    I think the DPP wouldn't have proceeded with the case though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

I think he will eventually be let off. I had a problem with this case. I dont think the jury gave the right decision. I know he did he did, everything in my gut tells me, and im sure the jury had the same belief aswell, but you need to PROVE it with solid evidence.

How can you make a decision based on circumstancel evidence. This of the amount of cases throughout history (death row in particular) where the guilty person has actually been innocent.

You really have to prove he did it with solid evidence.

If the defence appeals under some techinal issue (whtever it may be) and im posiive they will, this guy will walk free as there will not be aperson in this country who will be able to service jury who has not been influnced by the media.

It will be interesting to see how this progresses in the coming months, the last I heard is that they were appealing early 2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

seamus wrote:

Few people in that situation would put their hands up and say, "Yep, I was there but I didn't do it." As we've seen, being there, or even being in the vicinity at the time, causes people to click, and think "Guilty". In this case though, you're right - he should have come clean beforehand. The fact that he maintained he hadn't been there is an addendum to the circumstantial evidence.

It's the fact that he maintained his lies that caused him trouble.

Apart from his demeanour what was all wrong. The craziest thing about this case is that he didn't take the stand himself. It seems to me with all the circumstantial evidence there was the only hope he had was to look the jury in the eye and tell them he didn't do it, even if he lied about his whereabouts.

The fact is there was so much circumstantial evidence that he didn't try to refute there was only one likely verdict.

• Advertisement

Gator wrote:
    I think he will eventually be let off. I had a problem with this case. I dont think the jury gave the right decision. I know he did he did, everything in my gut tells me, and im sure the jury had the same belief aswell, but you need to PROVE it with solid evidence.

How can you make a decision based on circumstancel evidence. This of the amount of cases throughout history (death row in particular) where the guilty person has actually been innocent.

You really have to prove he did it with solid evidence.

What are the problems with circumstantial evidence? Catherine Nevin was convicted on circumstancial evidence and is still in prison. Some people don't understand how circumstantial evidence works. One piece is not enough to get a conviction, but many pieces added together provide sufficient weight to convict someone.

In fact fingerprint evidence is considered as circumstantial evidence. The only hard evidence would be a witness to the crime, or something that would equally testify to the fact of the crime.

In this case the weight of the following convinced the jury:
    He demonstrated an intense dislike of the victim
    He acted in a strange and bizarre fashion after the offence
    He lied about his whereabouts and his alibi did not stand up.
    He was in the area at the time of the offence
    He demonstrated a clear motive for the offence

All those added together were and are enough to secure a conviction. In Catherin Nevins case, the very same type of evidence was used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

rrpc wrote:
    Circumstancial evidence is 'real' evidence. Hard evidence such as witnesses and forensic evidence are very rare in domestic murder cases because there is usually only two witnesses (the murderer and the victim) and forensic evidence is unsafe as the murderer usually lives with the victim.

What convicted O'Reilly was the fact that his phone showed he was at the murder scene at the time of the murder, and his alibi witness only had a phone conversation with him at the same time in which he claimed he was at the back of the Broadstone depot. He didn't actually see him there until later. That phone conversation was shown to place him in the vicinity of his home.

On top of that his car (or one very like it) was picked up on CCTV travelling between his work and his home for the entire route again when he said he was somewhere else. No CCTV evidence was available anywhere to back up his story as to where he was.

If he had said that he had returned home to pick up something he had forgotten, then the case against him could not have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. The fact that he had lied was the most telling piece of evidence against him.

That's all anyone on that jury needed to know really. Personally I cannot understand how it took them nine hours to come to a decision. I mean how thick are these people? If it was me in there it would have taken me about two minutes to make up my mind. The fact it took them so long to come to a decision means he was probably close to being acquitted, which is preposterous.
    And about all these people saying "Oh isn't it terrible that now someone can now be convicted on circumstantial evidence"
    Actually it isn't terrible at all, it's great. Because now there is less chance of some murdering scumbag walking free 'cause the judge will allow circumstantial evidence whereas previously he wouldn't have.
    The 'phone evidence was the reason his lawyers wouldn't let him take the stand. Why? Because they knew that when the prosecution would ask him about it there was absolutley no way he could make a plausible explanation.
    Also, his smugness on the Late Late and other interviews came back to haunt him as some if not all of the jurors would probably have seen them.
    As for the poster who said "he will eventually be let off"; if he is, it will be the biggest single scandal in the history of the state.

lukin wrote:
    That's all anyone on that jury needed to know really. Personally I cannot understand how it took them nine hours to come to a decision. I mean how thick are these people? If it was me in there it would have taken me about two minutes to make up my mind. The fact it took them so long to come to a decision means he was probably close to being acquitted, which is preposterous.
    I'd say it was one or two jurors who weren't too sure. Don't be too hard on them, there's been a few on here who've said things like "I know he did it, but I'm not sure I'd have convicted him on the evidence" :(
    lukin wrote:
    And about all these people saying "Oh isn't it terrible that now someone can now be convicted on circumstantial evidence"
    Actually it isn't terrible at all, it's great. Because now there is less chance of some murdering scumbag walking free 'cause the judge will allow circumstantial evidence whereas previously he wouldn't have.
    Circumstantial evidence has been allowed in cases for a very long time. Of course if you are tabloid newspaper reporter, it's probably the first time you've ever heard of it. :D
    lukin wrote:
    As for the poster who said "he will eventually be let off"; if he is, it will be the biggest single scandal in the history of the state.
    I doubt very much if that will happen. The judge was very careful to make sure that there would be very little grounds, excluding a lot of evidence and in his very careful and deliberate instruction to the jury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Generally people who think about things a little deeper take longer to decide. A quick decision, would indicate lack of thought, rather than clear thinking. There's a mans life on the line, surely you can understand that a group of 11 people would take 2 or 3 days to decide? I applaud them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Generally people who think about things a little deeper take longer to decide. A quick decision, would indicate lack of thought, rather than clear thinking. There's a mans life on the line, surely you can understand that a group of 11 people would take 2 or 3 days to decide? I applaud them.
    Yeah, I'm surprised it only took them nine hours.

ziggy67 wrote:
    Which one is it rrpc?? Because they are both entirely different

Well according to the jury it was both. The phone said he was in the area and they said he was at the scene (being the murderer y'see) :D

They are not entirely different btw, one is just more specific than the other.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

rrpc wrote:
    That's quite normal. Jury selection has become an art form in the States with people actually working full time as jury experts. In the O'Reilly case, there were only three women initially picked on the jury, with one excused because she admitted to a prediposition of guilt
    They can't pick the jury - the jury's picked at random, like a mini lottery. The defence and prosecution have three dismissals each, which they can use when they see the potential juror walking up to sit down in the jury box. They know nothing about the juror other than what they see as the juror walks by them - very different to the process in the States. Hence, the advice to wear a business suit and carry 'The Irish Times'.

The potential juror can then prevent a reason they shouldn't be picked (should be valid) but there's nothing to stop the potential draw resulting in an all women jury and the prosecution/defence can't do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy67 wrote:
    Now itsEarlier

Keep digging yourself into that hole rrpc :rolleyes:

Well if it makes you happy Ziggy I'll change it. Doesn't change the verdict though.

Advertisement