Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing / Using A Microsoft Virtual Machine

• 21-07-2007 9:01pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to get a Virtual Machine running in order to be able to use non-XP compatible programs (Generally very old programs I have had since Windows 98) and discovered the free Microsoft / Java Virtual Machines which apparantly give you an emulation of the old OS's.

However after installing the Microsoft VM I just simply cannot find how to use it - I haven't tried to test wether you're meant to select an OS during boot up, if it's the fact that I have to re-install the actual old OS also, or what I'm meant to do.

No new folders where created that I know of (Or, at least, it's named something different to what is installed) and, well, basically I'm totally clueless.

Wondering if anyone can help out with getting this going, would really appreciate it ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Try using another virtual machine, such as Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 [offers great integration with Windows] or VMWare Server.

You boot your current OS and run the virtualisation program you installed. In most cases, you create a profile for the OS you'll be running: how many processor core/cores to use, how much RAM to dedicate, whether to give the virtualised OS access to the Internet/your LAN, etc.

On the RAM front, make sure you have plenty. 128-256 MB of RAM for Windows 98 would probably be enough -- don't overdo it as the host OS [what you're running now] will need its own RAM too.

I've noticed Virtual PC is very fussy about this -- moreso than VMWare Server. Running two OSes will require the CPU to do more work also.

If you only have a handful of legacy programs to run, try right clicking on the .exe files and look at your options. Under Compatibility, choose Windows 98, or whatever OS you want, along with colour settings, etc. Then click OK and try running the program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you're talking about installing VMWare Server on XP, don't worry about the imcompatability message if its the one I think it is. It just means that because your not on a server-centric OS then a certain, non-essential component can't be installed. The app itself will work fine - I run it on XP Pro all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Yep. Now that you have the Virtual Machine set up, you have to install a copy of an OS on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

RopeDrink wrote:
    Thanks for clearing that up.
    No idea where my Win98 CD is, probably never find it but I suppose it's handy having the program here for if/when I do.
    Good progress. Usually, you need a floppy to boot Windows 98 off a CD. Things changed in Win2k and can be booted without needing any floppy.

I don't know if Virtual PC negates the need for a floppy -- maybe Microsoft was able to change this in its product.

Advertisement