Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual booting from separate hard drives?

• 21-07-2007 9:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭

Despite numerous re-installs and trying various other things I have not been able to set up a working dual boot with Vista on one hard drive and XP on the other. I have Vista on my primary hard drive, a 74GB raptor and XP is on an old 20GB ide hard drive. I used the program easybcd to set up the boot options, Vista boots fine but when I select XP I get an error saying:

"Windows can not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
    Could not read from the selected book dsik, check boot path and disk hardware."

I think the problem is with XP thinking its installed to the C: drive when in fact its the I: drive?
    This problem is driving me mad so any ideas with this would be greatly appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Despite numerous re-installs and trying various other things I have not been able to set up a working dual boot with Vista on one hard drive and XP on the other. I have Vista on my primary hard drive, a 74GB raptor and XP is on an old 20GB ide hard drive. I used the program easybcd to set up the boot options, Vista boots fine but when I select XP I get an error saying:

"Windows can not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
    Could not read from the selected book dsik, check boot path and disk hardware."

I think the problem is with XP thinking its installed to the C: drive when in fact its the I: drive?
    This problem is driving me mad so any ideas with this would be greatly appreciated :D

I'm dual booting both Windows XP Pro & Vista flawlessly on two systems, one has only got one hard drive but the other has two hard drives(one with XP & one with Vista) I set both of these up myself & the only difference I can see between my setup & yours is that in both my cases Windows XP was the first operating system to be installed followed by Vista.
    I wonder if the order they're installed has anything to do with it?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 92 ✭✭alanjgrace

this should help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I wonder if the order they're installed has anything to do with it?

Yea I think this might be something to do with it. Both operating systems think they are installed to the C: drive. I reckon if I re-install vista it might do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'd definitely try reinstalling Vista.
    from experience, it's always best to install the older OS first then the newer. I had no issues with my XP/Vista dual boot when doing it this way...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Make sure the boot.ini settings point to the SECOND drive.
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\windows="Windows XP"

multi(W)disk(X)rdisk(Y)partition(Z) form of the ARC pathname.

The W, X, Y, and Z parameters have the following meaning:
    W is the ordinal number of the controller, and should always be 0.

X is not used for multi(), and is always 0.

Y is the ordinal for the disk on the controller, and is always 0 or 1 for disks connected to the primary controller. The range is 0 through 3 for disks on a dual-channel EIDE controller.

Z is the partition number. All partitions receive a number except for type 5 (Extended) and type 0 (unused) partitions. These numbers start at 1, as opposed to all other entries, which start with 0.

Theoretically, the multi() syntax could be used to start Windows NT from any disk on the computer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement