Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vista and deskjet 990c issue

• 21-07-2007 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Just finished setting up a dell inspiron laptop that had vista on it. Then I went to use a shared deskjet 990c printer it was not printing. The printer is a shared printer on another pc that is running xp. I am able to print without issue to the deskjet from the xp pc. I am also able to print to a shared laserjet from the vista machine and the xp machine.

When I check the printer queue I am not able to see any documents in the printer queue even though I have sent a number of test pages to it. When I conncted to the shared printer the driver was installed and when i check device manager the printer shows up as it is working correctly.

I am a bit lost as to what is wrong as I know it is not an issue with the printer it must be something that is up with vista.

Anybody got any ideas on how to resolve this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well to take a guess I suspect it's driver related but HP do not provide a driver for the 990c under Vista as the driver is built into the OS, on the other hand Windows will pull the driver from another machine that is sharing the printer in the case the XP box so it could be using the XP driver ?

Check the date of the driver in the device manager to see if it is the XP or Vista driver. If it's the Vista driver try uninstalling the printer from the device manager and re-installing it or try installing the XP driver for it which is on HP's site (Vista can use XP printer drivers).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

thx mate

I'll give that a try later on and see if it fixes the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Tried that earlier on and doesn't work!

found a work around by sharing the printer from the vista laptop instead of the xp machine. Must be some strange printer sharing and compatibility issue with vista.

Oh well fixed [well sorta] now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

tommycahir wrote:
    found a work around by sharing the printer from the vista laptop instead of the xp machine. Must be some strange printer sharing and compatibility issue with vista.
    I've seen this before with NT/2000/XP where a newer OS will refuse to take drivers when shared by an older OS, seems to be driver specific since many drivers work. In the end I shared a dummy printer from the newer OS, so users could install the printer driver and THEN connect to the real share on the Older OS.

Advertisement