Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers movie thread for people who saw it (spoilers within)

Options
  • 21-07-2007 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭

ok the movie thread is at risk of becoming a haven for reported posts because of a lack of spoiler tags, so anyone who's seen the movie should post in this thread, spoilers and all, to your 'lil hearts content :)

Comments

Just back from the cinema now, awesome just about it up. Optimus Prime kicked ass. Blackout was awesome and the little decepticon (cant remember his name) stole every scene he was in. Class film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭randombar

Thought it was class all right, couple of things about it though:

The goofiness of optimus prime (ALA standing on flowers etc)

No transformer sequences totally blew me away the way the cartoon did when i was younger (fair enough i was 5)

All in all class movie, still reckon die hard was better though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

i think the little decepticon was frenzy.

Great film, plenty of nods to the original as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

BESTEST FILM IN THE WHOLE WIDE UNIVERSE!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: Awesome stuff!!!!It was just so cool!!! I WANT MORE GOD DAMN IT!!!!!! :D Defo going to go see this again.

I would've liked to see more of the other transformers though, as in not megatron/optimus as we seen enough of them.

Anyone hear the line that was voted for by the public? It was before they rolled out to get the Allspark at the dam..............the "centinel beings" line!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

GaryCocs wrote:
    Thought it was class all right, couple of things about it though:

The goofiness of optimus prime (ALA standing on flowers etc)

No transformer sequences totally blew me away the way the cartoon did when i was younger (fair enough i was 5)

All in all class movie, still reckon die hard was better though!
    Die hard was a great film except it had the most ridiculous scene involving a fighter get (F22 I believe - ala Starscream) which ruined it for me.

I thought the garden scene was a bit stupid, no need for it. Some of the dialogue was ridiculous!! I did notice that the line that won the competition "freedome is the right of all sentient beings" was said just as we got a lovely big helping of breasts getting out of a car, took the sting out of the cheese.

Looking forward to the sequel - starscream jetting off into space at the end confirmed it (as if there was ever any doubt). What'll happen to Megatron now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

sprinkles wrote:
    Die hard was a great film except it had the most ridiculous scene involving a fighter get (F22 I believe - ala Starscream) which ruined it for me.

I thought the garden scene was a bit stupid, no need for it.

Come on it was funny when they were all hiding at the end of it :D

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭tritium

THE movie of the summer!! Rumour somewhere was there was to be a transforming aircraft carrier in the sequel so hopefully Megatron can come back from the murky depths they dropped him into at the end of this one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

was a really good film, no one has mentioned it yet but i think it has raised the bar for summer blockbusters and action. The action and CGI was incredible. THe final battle was amazing

the garden seen was a bit too dragged out and a bit out of place. However if it wasnt for shia, the scene would have been a total disaster.

i sub plot with hackers was the weakest part imo. The other flaws i had was jazz.
    His death served no purpose as we didnt have any time to get to know him or form a bond with him.

and my final gripe was the onscreen time of the decepticons. We want more starscream and megatron!

on the pluses, it speaks for itself, im goin to go see it again today! (nerd alert!)

Alot of people had been giving out about frenzy bein a jar jar binks character. I disagree, i thought he was entertaining.

And finally megan fox - holy cabbages!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

tritium wrote:
    THE movie of the summer!! Rumour somewhere was there was to be a transforming aircraft carrier in the sequel so hopefully Megatron can come back from the murky depths they dropped him into at the end of this one

thats true, bay really wanted to include it but hadnt the time or money to develop it.

oh by the way, dont forget to vote here:
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2007-07-18-Transformers_N.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The film is pure muck from start to finish, a paper-thin plot, truly woeful dialog and nothing bar the CGI to redeem it.

Honestly this plumbs new depths for a supposed Blockbuster, it starts of ok and then gets worse and worse and worse as it goes on. The point where the rest of the Transformers arrive being the point wher it begins to slide into the abyss.

I watched the 1st movie when I was 10 and it was great, must doig it out and watch it again as it is probably better than this tripe.

"Ba weep gra na weep nini bong"

Inqui

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Loved this film from start to finish. The CGI was remarkable, in that, after a few minutes I was no longer thinking of them as CG models but characters.

Shia Le Beouf carried the film a long way, very charismatic, very like-able. Megan Fox was the hotness but I was disappointed John Turturro was so hammy.

Overall, 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

I enjoyed it - was a decent laugh with some very tasty action moments!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

KdjaCL wrote:
    Come on it was funny when they were all hiding at the end of it :D

kdjac
    It was but it was way too dragged out.

Also agree with Faceman, Jazz was not given enough screen time, neither was Ironhide.

Going to see it again later, will form a better opinion of it then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭lalalalinda

Absolutely loved it. I'm kinda sick of these so called 'die hard fans' who watched a couple of episodes when they were 6 (and seem to remember more details than shown to them then) and then complain about the movie, being too stubborn to actually forget about the origional tv series/movie and just enjoy the movie for what it was.

The CGI was fantastic, as expected. I loved the slow motion scenes. There was some cheese in it but its expected when there's a love story going on as well. The comedy moments were good - some better than others. I liked the fight scenes but the ending was kinda dragged out IMO but that could be cos I was dying for a piss during the movie! I thought the government/FBI scenes were good aswell.

I do agree that they should've given more time to more of the transformers. As mentioned, we didn't have time to get to know ___ before he died. That blank just shows that I didn't even know who he was supposed to be. Didn't have time to even learn his name...! Too much time given to Optimus and Megatron but thats expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Righty.. just watched it, and with as open a mind as possible..

But although the cheese wasn't as bad as some of the trailers indicated, I thought the garden scene went on far too long and totally out of place.

Yea the CGI was impressive, but I still say the robot modes are a jumbled mess, and fancy effects aren't enough to make up for the rest of the film's shortcomings - wafer thin plot, poor character development (especially the Decepticons.. grunting monsters? :rolleyes:), hammy acting (yes John, I'm looking at you), and Bay's typically frantic camera work - no doubt meant to build excitement but it just became annoying after a while.

As I've said before, the only resemblance this film has to the Transformers I remember is in name only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bambam320

''I do agree that they should've given more time to more of the transformers. As mentioned, we didn't have time to get to know ___ before he died.''

that was jazz who died and what a way to go :D

Loved the film Frenzy was awesome along with everyone else and the classic banter between screamers and megs was deadly.

The only thing that bugged me was the over usage of the ''there is more than meets the eye'' catchphrase

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I am a huge fan of the cartoon series (i have all the episodes and the original movie) and I thought the new movie was a very decent. I watched it a few weeks ago online and it looked a typical popcorn movie. The Decepticons were poorly represented in the movie though i thought.

I had feared the worst when i saw michael bay's name down as director but it ended up okay.

hopefully for the next movie we will see the dinobots along with the brilliant Constructicons and of course Devastator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭redfan

watched it last night really good flick.
    well recomended.
    kids and adults alike.
    my 12 year old make me watch it i didnt think it would interest me.. how wrong i was.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

bambam320 wrote:
    and the classic banter between screamers and megs was deadly.
    Classic banter? Unless I'm mistaken there was only 1 scene of the two of them together and it lasted less than a minute. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

can anyone tell me...what happened to ...barricade????(the cop car) .......last we see him is on the highway when there all racing back to the city with the cube......then..nothing..its not in the fight sequence at the end.....granted....starscream gets away to..but at least hes in the end credits.........scorponock i guess was hurt in the desert...but ya...barricade ne one?...did i miss something????

• Advertisement

He will probably be in the sequel, and who knows what decepticons Starscream will bring back. I was hoping to see more of bonecrusher though he was pretty cool in the short time he was in it.

rossie1977 wrote:
    I am a huge fan of the cartoon series (i have all the episodes and the original movie) and I thought the new movie was a very decent. I watched it a few weeks ago online and it looked a typical popcorn movie. The Decepticons were poorly represented in the movie though i thought.

I had feared the worst when i saw michael bay's name down as director but it ended up okay.

hopefully for the next movie we will see the dinobots along with the brilliant Constructicons and of course Devastator

eh was'nt devastator in this movie???.....when starscream calls the decpticons to rollout.....its shows.....bonecrusher(armoured van) ....and devastator(the tank)...rolling out...then he dies in the end battle????.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Not the big Devastator thats made from the constructicons just used the name in the movie.

kdjac

HBK wrote:
    eh was'nt devastator in this movie???.....when starscream calls the decpticons to rollout.....its shows.....bonecrusher(the tank) ....and devastator(the jeep thing with the wreckin ball thing)...rolling out...then he is the first to die as optimus rips his head off on the highway????.....

Devastator was the tank, Bonecrusher was the Buffalo mine clearing vehicle. Its a claw not a wrecking ball. The yanks use it to defuse IED's in Iraq.

Devastator was the tank, Bonecrusher was the Buffalo mine clearing vehicle. Its a claw not a wrecking ball. The yanks use it to defuse IED's in Iraq.

yup got confused between the 2 there...

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    As I've said before, the only resemblance this film has to the Transformers I remember is in name only.

if im correct, you have been against this movie from early on. Please explain why you think it is TINO and also give us insight as what would have less TINO without losing the realistic feel the film had.

and for anyone who says they would have preferred to see the G1 designs on screen, i was one of them - until i saw the sector 7 website teaser clips. There are 4 or 5 that i can remember, one for starscream, one for bumblebee, one for rampage, one for an insecticon and one for grimlock. They were dreadful. Didnt carry an ounce of realism and was deffo convinced me the G1 blocky look would not work on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Ok just back from it.

a 7/10 film

The good:

Brilliant CGI, Shia Lebouf does a great job filling in the *spike* role from the series, there is at parts a great action adventure feel to the film very much in the spirit of the cartoon series. The autobots and Deceptacons looked and moved brilliantly.

The Bad:

Pretty much 3 points (hence 7/10)

1. The soundtrack: Its weird, they got this pretty cool traditional action adventure instrumental piece for the film and then they have this dire awful ear bleeding trash they call rock music play which when combined with scenes like Bumblebee being chased by Barricade makes me think of white teenagers trying to be black. They should have stuck completely instrumental or made the rock diagetic (like they did with some of the other tracks through bumbebee) then it cant be blamed on the filmmakers.

2. The action scenes: *shock* Blitzy actually shoots the film down for its action? F*CK yes. If one remembers the previous transformer film thread, I was firmly of the point that this wasnt a transformer film but Big F*cking Robots kicking ass film. Well I was wrong, the film was very transformers, the characterisation (again Shia) and the plot involving him and the all spark (- the military) was bread and water transformers. The film though, Didnt have Big Robots duking it out on the big screen, It had them duking it out off screen and us watching the debris. I let it slide in the first action scene...the film was saving itself for the finale...BUT COME ON we didnt even see the final fight scene between Megatron and Optimus Prime WHAT THE F*CK! Through the whole film I think we only see three fight scenes through to the very end: Scorpinok, Bonecursher (whoot 10 second cameo!) and Frenzy. Every other fight scene the camera decides to go off and look at something else and the ncome back when the fighting is over. I mean the first robot vs robot one (bumblebee vs Barricade) we see that start and then see nothing, yet bumblebee then shows up as the victor...DAMNIT! Its made worse that Barricade is seen only once later on and is not heard from again yet his remains can be seen at the end on the carrier. The fight scenes were for the most part excessive amount of shiny explosions and debree mixed with shots of humans yelling. Throw in a few slowmo moves and thats pretty much it, Everyone is praising the films action scenes, but I garuntee it will recieve the same treatment of Episode 1 and Matrix Reloaded when it hits DVD (or Blu ray/HD DVD) cause suddenly without the big cinema screen and stereo surrond everyone will cop on that they are not actually seeing anything.

And finally point 3:

THE US F*CKING MILITARY!

Put up your hands if you saw this coming?

The plotline could have been saved a f*cking bejebus of crap if all the military crap was cut out?

All the crap points of the plot were because they tried to keep the US military in the loop.

I didnt mind the Spec Ops, or the hackers cause that felt like movie world to me, brilliant people in unorthadox positions being forced to save the world. But neither needed to have scenes of them being tied in with the military. They could have been brought into the plot very simply by being pulled in by sector 7 to keep things under the lids and then break out with Shia etc later in the film.

I didnt mind Section 7 conspiracy because conspiracy is a great simple plot device that anyone can swallow.

But keeping it all tied together by keeping the military within the loop and as a crucial player in the plot bogged the whole film down and forced valuble screen time away from actual CHARACTERS. I mean Section 7 should have been flatout bad guys who get screwed by the decapticons, but the film kept moving back and forth, they're baddies, no goodies, no somewhere in the middle. It should have been, show up arrest kid and capture bumble bee, reveal their role in the events with the cube, Frenzy lets Megatron loose on their Asre while Bumblebee escapes with kid and cube.

Its made worse by the ending.

Shia Lebouf killing Megatron...NO PROBLEM with that, But having it that its the US military nails Megatron to the floor and not Optimus Prime is sure, Poetic Justice cause Megatron thinks humans are insects. But come on it kills whatever remaining Tension there is in the film, Dont worry everyone these robots are not a menace cause in a 1to1 fight the US military prevails.

Exactly the same flaw happened in War of The Worlds, NOTE TO ALL FILMMAKERS when you want to show how dangerous alien invaders are, straight military force should be proven to be outright impossible in any way, thus leaving it to our hero to save the day.

But apart from that massive Rant, I enjoyed the film, like I said it had a great Action Adventure feel to it, which I am betting is a clear Spielberg influence. ANd judging from that video I saw of Micheal Bay, I have him to blame for two of the three flaws with the film.

so f*ck you Micheal Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Thought Weaving did an excellent job with Megatron. Real power and menace in the voice. Definitely a great matchup to Cullen's Prime.

Was impressed with Shia LeBeouf. He's fairly likeable and engaging and that was important for the movie I think.

faceman, I agree with your gripe about Jazz -
    his lack of screentime did lessen the impact of this death - it was all bit flat, the Autobots didn't seem too broken up about it - it would've counted for more with us viewers if say, it was Bumblebee who was taken out.

Oh,
    didn't like Bumblebee's posh English accent :/

SofaKing wrote:
    Thought Weaving did an excellent job with Megatron. Real power and menace in the voice. Definitely a great matchup to Cullen's Prime.

totally agree

SofaKing wrote:
    faceman, I agree with your gripe about Jazz -
    his lack of screentime did lessen the impact of this death - it was all bit flat, the Autobots didn't seem too broken up about it - it would've counted for more with us viewers if say, it was Bumblebee who was taken out.

it may not have bothered me so much only prime said that jazz is his second in command which would suggest a good bond between them
    SofaKing wrote:
    Oh,
    didn't like Bumblebee's posh English accent :/

had forgotten that, yeah it didnt really fit!

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    so f*ck you Micheal Bay.

when has hollywood not given us an action film like that with some ****ty ending! You post is confusing tho, on one hand you say you enjoyed but on the other you are slaughterin it! ;)

Advertisement