Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband options - clearwire?

Options
  • 22-07-2007 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

I'm just looking at my telephone bill here and I currently have UTV Talk + 3mbit broadband. It's running at a little more money than I really want to be spending.

I'm thinking about ditching the phoen line. There are some options in this area, including clearwire. As I might be moving apartment in the next while, this seems like a good option.

Anyone got any ideas on how clearwire works out speed and reliability wise?

Their Performer package looks ok.

I can't install external antennae so, the other wireless options like digiweb are out of the question.

Also, is it possible to use blueface successfully over Clearwire ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Blueface works over Clearwire, though you may need to ask them to provision VoIP on your account first.

That being said, Clearwire has a pretty lousy reputation...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Do a search please. There are plenty of reasons to avoid Clearwire and it has all been said before here and pretty recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

DO NOT GET CLEARWIRE
    I had there basic modem package and I will regret it forever. No internet is better.
    Connectio is lousy, customer service is worse. Constantly lose signal, ports are blocked.
    You ve been warned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Yeah Clearwire despite their initial open system has closed down pretty much every port other than the web and mail specific ones. I had a 6Mb service too.

I found the guys in support alright at the beginning but when they started traffic shaping they denied they were doing anything and blamed my system or the weather or something.

The final straw was when Skype and P2P stopped working after only 4 months into my contract. Then they took 12 months direct debits in 2 days - almost 500 euro - from my account leaving me up sh1t creek as I didn't discover it until my building society rang looking for their money.

So IMO avoid Clearwire unless you just want to collect email and book flights.

Oh . . and have a nice day !!!

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Don't get Clearwire, friend got it and I have to say, I've never seen such poor service compared to what he should be getting for the price and he has a good signal and everything but has just above dial up speeds.

I hate this company after the stories I've read here and even if they were the only company in my area, I'd rather go without broadband than go with this shower of muppets. Have you got a cable option like NTL?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Solair, as you can get broadband via the phone line, what about one of BT Ireland's bundles, as you say it's running you more than you'd like to spend at the moment? For €36.50 a month (after online billing discount), you can get a landline + a 1 Mb connection.

For an extra €7, you can get a 2 Mb connection, again I've assumed you have selected the online billing discount after ordering.

Advertisement