Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamer kidnapped for password..

Options
  • 22-07-2007 12:43am
    Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭

don't use this forum so may be old news, but holy hell:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/sex%2C-crime-and-videogames/gang-kidnaps-gamer-to-get-password-using-fake-orkut-date-280966.php
    gizmodo wrote:
    An armed gang of four kidnapped one of the world's top RPG gamers after one criminal's girlfriend lured him into a fake date using Orkut, Google's social network. After sequestering him in Sao Paulo, they held a gun against the victim's head for five hours to get his password, which they wanted to sell for $8,000. And yes, the story gets even better.

Surprisingly enough, after five hours the hostage wasn't talking. The group leader had a gun against his head all that time but the guy didn't say a word. At that point, the crooks gave up and decided to let him go. The brazilian police then caught the four suspects, aged 19 to 27.

According to the police, the captive is the world leader in GunBound, a turn-based RPG-style multiplayer online game. Developed in South Korea, in this artillery game you get more experience points, offensive and defensive capabilities depending on your skills during battle, as well as money to buy more weapons, armor and all kinds of gear for your multiple avatars. You can only play with one of your avatars each time, but all of them belong to a single account.

The game looks to be quite popular, so the four gangsters decided they could make some quick cash if they kidnapped him to steal his user. Their plan: use one of the criminal's girlfriends, called Tamires, to get him into a date using Google's online social network Orkut, which is also extremely popular in Brazil. After contacting and seducing him, she told the GunBound wizard to meet her in a shopping mall.

But she never appeared. Instead, Igor the boyfriend did. Gun in hand, he abducted and held the player prisoner, planning to rely the password to his mates using a cellphone. Against all odds, our hero (or very stupid guy) resisted. Probably using some Stamina +357 spell. Or a Big Cojones +577 mana potion.

Whatever he did to resist the torture for a stupid game password, boys and girls, there's a moral to this story: if you live in Brazil, keep playing Tetris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

wow, a geeky crime at its finest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

He'd rather die than give up his password to a game. What a twit. He's lucky that people are still able to tell him to get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

thrill wrote:
    He'd rather die than give up his password to a game. What a twit. He's lucky that people are still able to tell him to get a life.

and thats clearly why you aint number 1 !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Ha Legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

/ Rolls dice

... I ain't talkin'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Well maybe he thought they'd kill him if he gave up the password? or didn't want to live in a world where people could get away with that kinda thing? anyway... I respect his decision :P

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

it had to be some pretty poor assed 'torturing' for him not to give it up though. do they not watch 24?

anyone read portugese to get the full story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

copacetic wrote:
    But she never appeared. Instead, Igor the boyfriend did.

Igor LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Brave chap, incredibly stupid, but brave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Jesus christ I would just give them the password:o :o must have been some pretty bad torturing like being tickled with a feather duster:D :D:D
    or mawbe he was to L33T to give up his password

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The password was probaly "password" and he was telling them it from the 1st minute.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

kudos to that chappie, a real warrier no doubt

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

KdjaCL wrote:
    The password was probaly "password" and he was telling them it from the 1st minute.

kdjac

Heh kept thinking the same thing myself while reading it.
    The story would have had a great punchline if the password turned out to be password1.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Well if he was so "great" at the game, why wouldnt he just give the password and rebuild whatever he had?
    Oh wait, he probably sucked... Just the big number beside the word level that made him appear great.

This type of crime happens in Japan on a weekly basis I believe. Lots of gangs are into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I presume he didn't tell them because he realised they were piss poor amateurs who had no fucking intention of killing anyone.

I'd have just given it to them, but I can imagine how it would be very easy to realise they weren't going to execute him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ShowUsYourXbox

What a pussy. Not only would i have not given him the password, i'd have ****ed Igor's bird while i was resisting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Zillah wrote:
    I presume he didn't tell them because he realised they were piss poor amateurs who had no fucking intention of killing anyone.

I'd have just given it to them, but I can imagine how it would be very easy to realise they weren't going to execute him.

Its Brazil, not Blackrock were talking about. Life doesnt mean much in some parts over there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac

Nah, it was more likely "Imnottellingyou", "youllnevergetthatoutofme" or "goaheadshootmeidareyou".

Not sure if this guy was smart and just knew they weren't going to do anything, or just stupid enough to value his avatar over his life.

Either way, I now have another excuse to not play MMORPGs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Maybe he had a really embarrassing password? Like manloveRulesOK or ireallyhatesoccereventhoughimbrazilian....

Also, what a nerdy crime... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

???

Either he's really smart or they're really dumb

If you give the password your assalient will be forced to kill you to stop you from changing the password once your let loose (note most places have a retrieve password by email system which if they changed his password he could have easily done when they let him go. Thus resetting the password and locking them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Surely you could just give them the password, be let go, call up the company, explain what happened, they'd give you back your stats, and then you'd be able to trace the criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Where's the glory in that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

So by buying passwords you could be helping criminals. Forget piracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

The password was probably the password to loads of other sh!t too.

Advertisement