Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into acting advice

Options
  • 22-07-2007 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Ok so let me cut to the chase, I'm 17 years old with the aspiration of hitting it 'big' in America, my major problem being I have NO expierence in the field of acting. Does anyone know any places that offer comfortable surroundings where you can learn to act. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I think the Gaiety School of Acting offer classes/courses geared towards beginners - might be worth giving them a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

I'm working on being an actor myself, have a little experience with being in a few plays.

I don't mean to be rude but why do you want to be an actor who makes it big in America if you have no experience?What I'm planning on doing is a course in uni with a post-grad in theatre so as I've a fallback. During the course I'll do community theatre for the experience.

Start doing acting now, what I did helped me get a rough idea of what I wanted my acting style to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Deanopride

First off it will be very improbable you will hit it off BIG on the US. If you do some studying on the subject you will find most wont hire you unless your part of the Screen Actors Guild(somewhat like a union) in the US and they have millions of Americans on their books looking for work.You also must have a green card or they wont even touch you unless your Colin Farrell. If your still in school finish up get your leaving cert and apply for a course. There is one in bray,DIT,Trinity have somewhat one left,Gaiety ,although its expensive and some more in other counties.You should get some experience on stage or in front of the screen as there is a big difference between wanting to be an actor and actually performing in front of people and grasping the hard work involved.Doing this also helps you to find if its actually what you want.I always thought of being an actor,studied psychology for 2yrs and then decided to followmy goal of acting full time, and after some small performances and camera time i just know its for me. After some experience get good headshots,a good C.V with some credits and send them off to all the Agents and Casting Directors you can find, audition, get the role and bingo you will be a working actor but remember only with great dedication and sacrafice will come great rewards. Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

well put, I did a Midsomer Night's dream a few weeks ago and thrived on the work, there's so much work needed but I wouldn't trade a minute of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

All my hopes and aspirartions have been blown up with these posts. What is realism? I can live in my ideal life, where yes me will become a major Hollywood actor who stars as the unfortunate protagonist trying desperately to overcome the odds with the stigma of a 'loser' constantly following him around as if it was his very own shadow.:(

• Advertisement

Awwww - don't give up on your dream if it is something that you really want to do, and are passionate about. Just start small, and try not to get overwhelmed with it all. Dreams are a natural part of life, if we didn't have dreams in life, what would the point be of setting goals for ourselves. At 30, I am finally, going after my life's dream , and working towards a career of my choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Na I was only joking, seriously I thankyou guys for your advice. I will do it, I'm going to try organise classes tommorow.

One low budget horror movie is my main goal.

Irishayme.... if it's alright with you, what is your goal? acting?

Nope, not acting. I am currently training to be a psychotherapist, however my long vision is to do some sort of dance therapy course. This year after years of looking (where I would not have to train classically on a professional level first), I finally found just the course that I am looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I'm an ex student of Bull Alley theatre training company, and I'd recommend you check out that course. It's 3/4 years and is a good grounding in the theatre.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Buttons_sb

Yeh ive heard good things about the Gaiety. My friend went there and she loved it. I was thinking about going aswell, and im in kinda the same situation too. Only acting experience would be primary school plays and dance performances!
    As for hitting it big, go for it. Who knows who's gonna make it and who's not if you dont try? You only live once, thats what I say. Good luck:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 DYT

Hi, I'm the General Manager of Dublin Youth Theatre and we take in members from 14 - 22 years of age. If you'd like more info you can contact me at 01 874 3687 / dyt@iol.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I have been a professional actor since my early 20s and I am a former DYT member. DYT ROCKS! Not everyone who went there goes on to be a pro actor, but it is a great place to figure out if that is the path for you. Also a great place to realise how much work goes into this profession.
    Great place to meet industry professionals and indeed work with them, but best of all, great place for meeting new mates with interesting perspectives on life.
    Good luck!

Advertisement