Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick to my stomach!

• 22-07-2007 2:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

I don't think this is a PI but i gotta get it outta me so here it goes.

I just got back from the Transport club, 21st birthday, Out side some arguing between a guy and girl, drink of course included.
    Then she fell to the ground, and instead of helping her up, he held her down and punched her 4 times as hard as i could ever hit a guy right in the mouth. Immediately guys from my group lost control and went for him and we were trying to restrain them as this guy had about 10 friends around the corner. Complete scumbags obviously.
    He dragged her into a taxi, a few minutes later we got in one. Nearly broke my arm trying to hold some of the guys back still. They were fathers of my friends(female) so i didn't want them to get hurt themselves. The couples taxi stopped, the guy threw the girl out and she just rolled. jumped on her, hit her again. All the time we had the gardai on the phone describing it. The gardai arrived within 2 Min's. I really did feel proud of the service then. First time too.
    The couples taxi just pulled away. I couldn't believe it. The gardai arrived with a van full of cops and a car. And dragged them apart. We gave our contact details and all that jazz and i just pray they don't go home together.

I much say to the taxi driver that picked me and my friends up. Thanks. His name was tony. Getting my people out of that situation was a great help and it took some courage on your part to stop and pick people up in that situation.

The gardai arrived quickly and i am very grateful for the response time. Usually they have been useless in my life but i think the graphic nature of the descriptions i was giving helped speed them along.

I was sick to my stomach seeing it. The girl thrown out of the taxi just rolled like dead meat. pulled her by her hair to move her. I cant believe their taxi driver just left this girl to whatever beaten she was getting. If this was his daughter....he would condemn the driver to hell.
    It was the first time Ive ever seen violence on a lady like this so i was sickened....
    It was great though to see that some people actually had the balls and courage to help.

To Tony the taxi driver, the gardai, and my friends dad also called tony. Much respect.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bolliwoodi

it happens unfortunatly

ps- the other taxi drivers an arse:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

Kudos to you as well for calling the gaurds and for holding back your friends since they could have been badly hurt too.
    It's awful seeing this stuff happen, hope he gets what he deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Were they a couple?
    This probably happens all the time "but she loves him..." (albeit it's quite extreme)
    That's a disgrace though, and it'd be almost as bad if he was doing this to a bloke even.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Don't drink kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Awful situation, too much focus on the victims genitalia for me.

Shouldn't happen to any average person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

She did something to offend the young gentleman's sensibilities.

Open and shut case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Were they Irish? Id say that happens more than we hear about tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gonzo_Fiend

Pop Quiz:
    Were this couple
    A)Smoking Cannabis
    B)Drinking Alcohol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Pop Quiz:
    Were this couple
    A)Smoking Cannabis
    B)Drinking Alcohol

Yes, it was the cause of the alcohol/cannabis/tv/marilyn manson/the beatles.

And not to do with the quality (or lack thereof) of the purpetrators character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Good to see a thread praising the Gardai for once in After Hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

micmclo wrote:
    Good to see a thread praising the Gardai for once in After Hours

Agreed, it's a hard,thankless job.

The situation in the OP is sickening to hear, I reckon i'd have been like your fathers mate and jumped straight in instinctively, regardless of how many of them there were. I take it you didn't get the other taxi's plate number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Rigger - absolutely alcohol is a major cause of violence in society - there is no denying that, or shirking it off with a witty response. We all know perfectly reasonable people who get a bit testy when the booze is poured.
    TBH, I rarely go out in Dublin anymore. It's not worth the hassle. I've visibly seen it become a lot worse in the last three or four years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Nearly broke my arm trying to hold some of the guys back still. They were fathers of my friends(female) so i didn't want them to get hurt themselves.

&
    cant believe their taxi driver just left this girl to whatever beaten she was getting. If this was his daughter....he would condemn the driver to hell.

Yeah... What a c*nt. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I don't suppose you noted the other taxi's registration details / plate number?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

davyjose wrote:
    Rigger - absolutely alcohol is a major cause of violence in society - there is no denying that, or shirking it off with a witty response. We all know perfectly reasonable people who get a bit testy when the booze is poured.
    TBH, I rarely go out in Dublin anymore.
    three or four years.

No - perfectly reasonable people get a bit tipsy when the booze is poured. Alcohol just removes inhibitions and allows people to act in ways they might want to but never would when sober.

Anyway - horrible story but good to see someone was there to help, including the Gardaí.
    Just imagine how that girl, and others in her situation, would get treated behind closed doors if that's the way that dirtbag treats her in front of strangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

where is this "the Transport club"

it sounds like a ripping spot to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Maybe she deserved it? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

where is this "the Transport club"

Dolpins barn, Not the places fault. 21st with drink + people were defintely on other stuff. Lots of coke + E me thinks.
    Karoma wrote:
    I don't suppose you noted the other taxi's registration details / plate number?
    Anto McC wrote:
    I take it you didn't get the other taxi's plate number?
    Yeah gave it to the cops on the phone, license plate + reg number. Not sure what the driver will do, Im sure it will be as another poster said, a case of "ah but i love em...blah blah" *gets beaten*.....
    Mutz wrote:
    were they irish?
    yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

¬_¬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

flogen wrote:
    No - perfectly reasonable people get a bit tipsy when the booze is poured. Alcohol just removes inhibitions and allows people to act in ways they might want to but never would when sober.
    But I know some absolutely lovely people who become dreadfully aggressive when they're pissed, then have zero recollection the following morning.

OP, that's horrific. I saw something similar in Cork one night - the guy shoved the girl so hard, the back of her head ****ing bounced off the concrete. Very upsetting to see. You don't know if the guy was taken away by the guards, do you? Or if the girl required medical treatment?
    The taxi-driver's failure to intervene was probably due to fears for his safety. But in a case like that, you'd think he'd have done something.

Who knows, the guy might remember absolutely nothing of it today and might be horrified at himself and deeply sorry, but then he shouldn't drink.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

That's what you get for going to the transport club.

Dudess wrote:
    OP, that's horrific. I saw something similar in Cork one night - the guy shoved the girl so hard, the back of her head ****ing bounced off the concrete. Very upsetting to see. You don't know if the guy was taken away by the guards, do you? Or if the girl required medical treatment?

Yeah seeing that would be very upsetting. Disgusting to see someone brutally touched for no justifiable reason.

The guy + girl were still talking to the guards when I left. We stayed, gave statements, etc but after that we needed to head off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Oriel wrote:
    Don't drink kids.

I prefer a little wine, myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Can't really lay too much blaim on the taxi driver for not getting involved, alot of people in his situ wouldn't. Its the 'fight, freeze or flight' instinct, and not alot a person can do if their not a fighter.

Having said that, if she was in the taxi and taken out of it, or assaulted in it and you really do take down the roofsign number and reg which I find hard to believe given all the other stuff going on, then the girl probably has a case for compensation against the taxi driver since she was under his care at the time.

Most likely this is what will happen.. The cop's will be given a half dozen conflicting report's on what happened. Which will all add up to a drunk afray and no charges will be preferred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

You are what I call a Spammer. You say just the wrong words at the right time just to keep a post going. You are an a s s h o l e! And you need help.

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OHP wrote:
    You are what I call a Spammer. You say just the wrong words at the right time just to keep a post going. You are an a s s h o l e! And you need help.

OHP

Don't feed the trolls my friend.

Mairt wrote:
    Don't feed the trolls my friend.

Your right..... sorry.

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

boreds wrote:
    I prefer a little whine, myself.

Unfortunately there are many dysfunctional relationships out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I've seen it happen in Dublin city centre a few times. On two occasions I rang the gardai and shouted over at them to try and break it up. You do not want to get in the middle of these situations unless you've got backup as they can easily both turn on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

OHP wrote:

OHP
    Do that again and I'll ban you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

theTinker wrote:
    The couples taxi just pulled away. I couldn't believe it.
    The point's been made already, but you seemed to ignore it...
    You were holding back your poor friend's daddy so he wouldn't get hurt... But you wanted the driver to jump out and get beaten to death by the "10 friends around the corner"?

What are you on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Balfa wrote:
    You were holding back your poor friend's daddy so he wouldn't get hurt... But you wanted the driver to jump out and get beaten to death by the "10 friends around the corner"?

What are you on?
    The Moral High-ground.

Balfa wrote:

What are you on?

I think your mistaken, I didnt ignore it, i took it on board, thought about it, then answered any questions anyone asked. Mairt pretty much hit the nail on the head i think with the fight, flight or freeze. I hope it was that anyways and not just a selfish decision. Like maybe the taxi driver called the please when he got around the corner...or not.
    As a note though, i wasnt looking for the taxi driver to fight the guy or anything, I just thought it was disgusting of him to have a girl dragged from his taxi and beaten and to just drive off. We didnt just drive off, we pleaded, some wanted to fight, and ended up following thier cab a bit and got the gardai and gave statements, and it was just something we seen from across the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

I saw something like that happen outside the GPO a few years ago. Some lad was beating the absolute crap out of his girlfriend.

Funny thing was, when the cops came and hauled him away, she turned on them, shouting "that's my man" and defending him. I guess violence in a relationship can be a pretty complicated thing.

Fremen wrote:
    I saw something like that happen outside the GPO a few years ago. Some lad was beating the absolute crap out of his girlfriend.

Funny thing was, when the cops came and hauled him away, she turned on them, shouting "that's my man" and defending him. I guess violence in a relationship can be a pretty complicated thing.

Sick to see

Im sure this was another case of the same thing. Any guy/girl who beats thier girlfriend more than likely does it regularly i think. This girl was telling us before she left the place that she loves the guy, together 10 years, and wants to marry so its probably the same situation.

• Advertisement

Terry wrote:
    Do that again and I'll ban you.

Sorry. Just lost it for a min. Being a Taxi Driver I see loads. And not being to help, just gets the better of me. If I made a wrong remark/post. Sorry ok.

OHP

Advertisement