Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

500Gb USB2.0 Seagate 500gb External HDD

Options
  • 22-07-2007 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

I ordered the external 500Gb USB2 HDD (Seagate FreeAgent) from Komplett last week. I came home and installed it in a couple of seconds. Welll....

1. It's very very quiet!
    2. 500Gb is really huge. 17 hours later and I only got 90Gb of Mame,Dos,Amiga,ST, C64 Retro stuff on it.
    3. About 60Gb of Music
    4. Next week about 200Gb of video.
    5. 50Gb of the Demoscene.
    6. I really give this a thumbs as it gives my internal 160Gb drive a break... and I can defrag that without it take a week! :D

What do you guys typically fill these with??? :eek:

Peak read rate is 32Mb/s - actually the same as my flash Corsair 8Gb flash key - figuring now that this is the usb2 speed limit. The internal in comparison is 80Mb/s read rate. (HD Tach 3.0x readings)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Yeah they are pretty funky. I bought one when I sold my PC and bought a laptop. I still have tons of space on it.

At the moment:

Pictures: 15GB
    Video: 211GB
    Downloads: 18GB
    Music: 89GB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

I've a Western Digital 250 external drive.

Music 95GB (also backed up to DVDs)
    Video 110GB (just the non-backed up stuff)

I'm debatting buying another.

If I back up all my video to disc how long will the discs last?
    Forever? :)

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Had a 250 gig Western,

75 gig - PSP Games
    70 gig - Music
    20 gig - Videos

Thing is what is the largest size HD that doesnt need a power supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I have 2 of them full ! it allows me to drop one off when I and transferring stuff or swapping different stuff ! real handy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

I'm seeing that Tom's Hardware site is reviewing 1-2Tb models. The 2Tb models are actually 2 1Tb drives treated as RAID-1. The top end cost 800 dollars. Ouch...but great to see the horizon expand that bit more. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I have a couple of the Western Digital MyBook ones, no complaints.

Advertisement