Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn maintenance - how to avoid spending BIG time?

Options
  • 22-07-2007 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

I have, for the first time in my life, moved into a house with a sizeable garden. Most of it is lawn. I need to mow it; the landlord has included a 2001 petrol-powered push mower (it has some wheel drive too but is not a ride-on).

The mower has a sack for collecting grass. However, some of the cut grass remains on the ground as chopped-up stuff. Raking it up takes a LOOOONG time!

Is there a way to lower the time for lawn maintenance? Perhaps there are newer mowers that leave no stuff behind, or some sort of "vacuum cleaners" that would pick the chopped-grass goo up quickly?

Or - are there some sorts of grass that would not grow tall and that would be suitable for Ireland's climate and available in the country? Or some alternative to lawn (other than tarmac/concrete of course)? The landlord is rather flexible on what I plant at my own expense :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Sounds like you don't like lawn work. In very hot and dry weather (which is non existant this year) you can leave the cut grass, I have a book that recommends that.If your leaving a longish time between cuts and the grass is high the mowers tend to drop quite a bit, especially if you pull the mower back towards yourself. The trick is to cut often so the grass doesn't get too high, every five days or less perhaps, and walk in straight lines up and down the garden. Wet grass will stick to the blades too, so some wd40 on the blades and underside of the mower may help.I know it's a pain this weather to get stuck in, the other alternative is to pay someone to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It would probably be cheaper (especially since you are renting) to get someone to do it, you would probably get a decent price for someone to do it on a regular, once a week basis, possibly trim the edges once a month. It would cost less than either buying a new mower or setting a new lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

looksee wrote:
    It would probably be cheaper (especially since you are renting) to get someone to do it, you would probably get a decent price for someone to do it on a regular, once a week basis, possibly trim the edges once a month. It would cost less than either buying a new mower or setting a new lawn.

What is the general idea of the pricing? And how do I find the right person to ask?

I'm just new to this lawn business...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭eoinhealy

MichaelR wrote:
    What is the general idea of the pricing? And how do I find the right person to ask?

Depends on how long it takes to cut the grass. If it only takes about 1 hour at the most you are probably looking at 45e a week tops and an extra 25 to strim the edges. But the edging does not have to be every week unless you want it done, otherwise leave it every 2 or even 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

MichaelR wrote:

I'm just new to this lawn business...

My brother has got a guy in sometimes with a ride on mower to cut his lawn, takes about 30 mins and he charges €20

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it's a rented property, let the landlord do the paying.

Advertisement