Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build, won't start

Options
  • 22-07-2007 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

So I try to power up my new machine for the first time and I get a blank screen. Fans and LED's all come on, but nothing else. First thing I did was take the graphics card out and reinstall that, but still nothing. I've now removed all the RAM and tried powering up. As before, lights and fans but nothing else, including no beeping so I'm guessing that means that it's not running the POST.

Any suggestions? I've tried taking out the CMOS battery and reinserting it. I also switched the jumper to the clear CMOS position, but the board won't power up in that position, which seems very odd to me. The board is an Asus P5k Deluxe. Any help very much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

did you try powering up the board outside the chassis to eliminate a short?

I don't know if I misread his are you trying to power up your rig with the CMOS jumper in the clear position? if so make sure its in the closed position or else you board will not power up.

Oh what is your PSU make & wattage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Will try powering it outside next. Just lay it out on the anti-static bag it came with, yeah?

Read the manual instructions wrong. Thought it said to power up for 5 seconds in the clear position, but I just had to keep the cap in that position for 5 seconds. Never mind.

PSU is Corsair HX620W.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

MrPinK wrote:
    Will try powering it outside next. Just lay it out on the anti-static bag it came with, yeah?

No the anti-static bag can act like a conductor, just use the some cardboard.
    MrPinK wrote:
    PSU is Corsair HX620W.

Oh didn't know Corsair were making PSUs but upon reading a few reviews, it seems to come highly recommended.

Powered up board outside of case with just CPU and heatsink connected, still no POST beeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

No Fans no led's, no signs of life?

If so borked PSU or Mobo, assuming everything is connected right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Take out the cmos battery for a minute and put it back in?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Is it completely dead, no indications of any power of any sort?

Maplins sell these

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=45500&C=GKW&Criteria=PSU%20Tester&U=PSU%20Tester&T=2001131&gclid=CMr9m9ntu40CFRgVEAodZkjMFQ

Buy one and test the PSU, if you have no other comp to test it in, else try a different PSU.

Inqui

Inquitus wrote:
    Is it completely dead, no indications of any power of any sort?
    All the fans and LED's come on, it just doesn't do anything else.

I've ordered a new cheap motherboard too see if that's the problem, and to tide me over until that's RMA'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭kmb

Have you reseated the cpu in case it isnt in properly?

regards

kieran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

A floppy drive cable the wrong way round will stop it booting.
    A few more things.
    Are the led's on the keyboard lighting up ?
    If so your rom bios is fine.
    Have you put in the 8/4pin power cable for the cpu?
    Are you jumpers set correctly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

about the post beeping.. do you have one of those little speakers installed.. it usually connects near the case front connectors, and did you try removing one stick of ram at a time?
    And finally, are you sure your screen works?

Advertisement