Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Debs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Went to my own Debs last year. It was a good enough night: the meal was nice and the girl I brought had a great time, which was a relief! :) It's a fantastic night if you like wearing suits/dresses and getting hammered - neither of which are my thing :(

I skipped TY so I'm going to the Debs again this year with a different girl (my old Junior Cert class who did TY will be there) It'll be a bit strange because I lost touch with a few of them when I went into 5th Year.

I didn't drink last year because I was underage. This year, I can't drink because I'm on medication!! So everyone will be pissed out of their heads, and I'll be sober watching them all humiliate themselves publicly.
    Sounds fun, eh? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Went to my own Debs last year. It was a good enough night: the meal was nice and the girl I brought had a great time, which was a relief! :) It's a fantastic night if you like wearing suits/dresses and getting hammered - neither of which are my thing :(

I skipped TY so I'm going to the Debs again this year with a different girl (my old Junior Cert class who did TY will be there) It'll be a bit strange because I lost touch with a few of them when I went into 5th Year.

I didn't drink last year because I was underage. This year, I can't drink because I'm on medication!! So everyone will be pissed out of their heads, and I'll be sober watching them all humiliate themselves publicly.
    Sounds fun, eh? :rolleyes:

You get two debs if you skip TY thats weird in my school its the other way around...

anyway yeah i still have to get a date and a suit but mines not until september but I still have no one to ask

....I dont know what ill do.:(

Bajingo wrote: »
    You get two debs if you skip TY thats weird in my school its the other way around...

No my school's the same as yours - if you do TY you get 2 Debs.
    I'm going to this one because I was asked! :)
    Bajingo wrote:
    anyway yeah i still have to get a date and a suit but mines not until september but I still have no one to ask

....I dont know what ill do.

Ah don't worry. You've loadsa time yet.
    The one I'm going to is Thursday night and I only got my suit today!!

No my school's the same as yours - if you do TY you get 2 Debs.
    I'm going to this one because I was asked! :)

Ah don't worry. You've loadsa time yet.
    The one I'm going to is Thursday night and I only got my suit today!!

Ah right that makes sense...

Yeah I was pretty laid back about it but my sisters keep saying no girl will go with you unless you give them at least six months notice and that I wont get a suit because its too close...

Its madness..is that just a girl thing?...its kind of stressing me out

Bajingo wrote: »
    Ah right that makes sense...

Yeah I was pretty laid back about it but my sisters keep saying no girl will go with you unless you give them at least six months notice and that I wont get a suit because its too close...

Its madness..is that just a girl thing?...its kind of stressing me out

Well girls do tend to take ages to find a dress! 6 months seems a bit much though. Some girls take the Debs really seriously, while others are very laid back and won't get their dress 'til a week beforehand! Ask your mates, surely someone will know a girl you can go with?

Re the suit, whether you're buying one or renting one you have loads of time left.

• Advertisement

Well girls do tend to take ages to find a dress! 6 months seems a bit much though. Some girls take the Debs really seriously, while others are very laid back and won't get their dress 'til a week beforehand! Ask your mates, surely someone will know a girl you can go with?

Re the suit, whether you're buying one or renting one you have loads of time left.

Cheers I know I shoudnt actually worry about it..some of my mates have given up and arent even asking anyone, there going alone...it'll be a good laugh as long as long I dont stress out about it

Had my debs like last wednesday! Twas a klass night!

Savage debs date, bought me everything! Really really really good night! Wooo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

maybe go for a suit that isn't black.

Grey. I'm on the ball, really I am :pac:

A grey SKINNY suit. A baggy suit ruined many a man.

Savage debs date, bought me everything!

I went to a mates Debs and was well prepared to lose the deposit of a house on buying her booze. Turns out she doesn't drink much. Fine by me. "Back of the net" as Alan Partridge would put it*

*I swear, I'm not a cheap bastard. Seriously, I'm not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Grey. I'm on the ball, really I am :pac:

A grey SKINNY suit. A baggy suit ruined many a man.

I mean like TopMan style! Like skinny leg trousers rather than straight leg...or something like that ........ :pac:

The Topman suits are the nicest yeah, gotz a black (light) stripe one from there that often gets out. I may get a suit there, the shirt somewhere else and a nice tie online. Don't like the 'Buy-A-Set-Suit' stuff, do something with it yeeerself!

Girls get all the fun with the Debs in that regard, you'd often see 50 or 60 girls (sorry....young ladies :pac: ) looking different from each other, and then 50 or 60 lookalike 'rent-a-blokes'

To hell with that! Give me my suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I have a standby dress that I'd happily wear if I was given two days notice for a debs. It's already seen me through a fancy 18th and the Trinity Ball so It'd be good enough for a debs!

For my own debs though I will want something a bit more special, it will be perfect dammit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Heh, the debs, been over 9 months since mine now.

Mine was nothing more than a big night out really. I mean, the dinner, and knowing everyone was nice, but apart from that, it was nothing more than a glorified night in a semi decent club, with a shítty band playing.

Also, dates were of little importance really. Couple of guys went with no one and I didn't really see a disadvantage (Apart from the photo, which I haven't even gotten yet, nor do I really care about). It was weird, since it seemed so important beforehand.
    As an aside, I never did take the girl I spoke about earlier in this thread, she broke my heart (well.... not really :p), but did find a friend to go with in the end.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Girls get all the fun with the Debs in that regard, you'd often see 50 or 60 girls (sorry....young ladies :pac: ) looking different from each other, and then 50 or 60 lookalike 'rent-a-blokes'

Haha Rent-a-Bloke! I really need to sort out who I'm gonna bring, he'll need suit instructions!

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Heh, the debs, been over 9 months since mine now.

Mine was nothing more than a big night out really. I mean, the dinner, and knowing everyone was nice, but apart from that, it was nothing more than a glorified night in a semi decent club, with a shítty band playing.

Also, dates were of little importance really. Couple of guys went with no one and I didn't really see a disadvantage (Apart from the photo, which I haven't even gotten yet, nor do I really care about). It was weird, since it seemed so important beforehand.
    As an aside, I never did take the girl I spoke about earlier in this thread, she broke my heart (well.... not really :p), but did find a friend to go with in the end.

My boyfriend was at your debs, he said it was a good night!

Yeah that's pretty much how mine was aswell. For me the best part of our Debs was when we all went bowling afterwards at around 2 am :)

People go on about it being the last time their 6th Year will be all together, but it's not like there was a big emotional sendoff or anything. If you actually care about and like these people you'll stay in touch with them afterwards anyway.

Anyone who thinks it's gonna be the greatest night ever is probably in for a disappointment.It's really not as big a deal as people believe - it's a mildly enjoyable way to spend a night.

Anyone who thinks it's gonna be the greatest night ever is probably in for a disappointment.It's really not as big a deal as people believe - it's a mildly enjoyable way to spend a night.

Exacto.

Though I'd remove the word mildly ;)

I enjoyed the one I went to, probably more so because I knew nobody beyond the friend who asked me to go. I ended up making a mate or two out of it, through shared musical tastes/football leanings :pac:

As for MY DEBS, hmm...I know most of the people going. We're a close class, we go out often enough in groups of anything up to 15 or 20. It's just a glorified night out then. Anyone you want to see- you'll make the effort to keep in contact with. In fact, even by now going into August- you'll know based on people you haven't seen at all since the big LC.

It's a fun night, but so is stumbling out of Dorans and into Abrakebabra (Classy bloke or whaaaaaa :rolleyes: ) on a Saturday.

I'm looking forward to it, but I won't wet the bed over it or anything. It'll be fun. The world would keep spinning if it didn't happen, but it will be fun.

As for 2AM bowling, make it 4AM bowling and it's an idea I'll pass on :cool: That would be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

Still have no suit............ or a date :(

I enjoyed the one I went to, probably more so because I knew nobody beyond the friend who asked me to go. I ended up making a mate or two out of it, through shared musical tastes/football leanings :pac:
    You see, I would hate being there and knowing no-one. Talking to strangers is something I've always been rubbish at.
    From mine I gained new one Bebo friend :) Nice girl but might never see her again in my life
    As for 2AM bowling, make it 4AM bowling and it's an idea I'll pass on :cool: That would be fun.

Unfortunately we were kicked out by that time. :pac: Staff had to clean the place!

^I'm very, very bad at it myself too. Though I was warned as a young lad not to talk to strangers. So it's not all my fault.

As for gaining new bebo fweends, same here actually. I think there's two or three people from that Debs on my friends list who I will never, ever see again in my life. Had one of those 'who the hell is that' moments today actually looking through the 'friends'. If people live far away, and only know you because they sat next to the-person-whos-Debs-you-went-to in a class or two, a blossoming friendship probably isn't on the cards!

Hmm...thats bowling out the window then. Has to be something to do in Dublin town at 4AM. Hmmm.

Doing the suit business tomorrow,get it out of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Mine isnt until Septmber, got the dress and the shoes, getting a bus over be better craic on it! Althought seeing how most of my friends are getting limos maybe not so much fun! :rolleyes:
    any girl got ideas for hair dos? think i want an upstyle but not sure yet:)

• Advertisement

Hmm...thats bowling out the window then. Has to be something to do in Dublin town at 4AM. Hmmm.

I'm actually from Cork so I have no idea! :) Ye could all go to Tesco - it's ALWAYS open!
    Grab 10 cans of deodrant, some melons and find an empty aisle - improvised bowling!! :D:D
    PrivateEye wrote:
    Doing the suit business tomorrow,get it out of the way

I got mine today - for tomorrow night! Last minute jobs are never a good idea, but at least I have it now! :)

Lol hummers are so tacky!

Advertfail.

Well, I just came back from the Debs. Without my jacket :mad:

Either some fcuker stole it, or some idiot took mine by accident. Either way, it's gone.
    Looked for ages and couldn't find it, so I eventually made off with someone else's hoping I'd find them and they'd have mine.
    However, I never found whoever it was so I'm stuck with someone elses jacket.

So the night was pretty shit tbh :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

Mine is the 28th and do i have a clue about a dress!?

No...

I only asked my bf to go the other day..

But i do have my shoes!! :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Lux.

I think it can be one hell of a night if you want it to be. Went to a friend's debs a few weeks back having only been asked a few days beforehand. Was delighted to be asked though so it was no big deal, had a fancy dress 'lying around' too so all was good! Tbh, it really doesn't matter who you bring unless they're real misanthropists/miserable sods. I didn't see my date after we left the hotel! If I could change anything, I would have paced myself on the drinking a bit more- had to get on a plane to Paris a few hours later, I still don't quite know how they allowed me on the flight...

Had my own debs there on Tuesday night and I can honestly say it was one of the best nights ever. 200-odd young 'uns left to eat, drink, dance and generally go mad in a country hotel, if I could do it all again I'd love it. With no flights the next morning on this occasion it was a bit more relaxing, most people that survived the night met up in town for a huge brekkie and then we all went to the beach. I'm already feeling nostalgic. But hey, got another invite to an upcoming debs at the end of August so we'll see if that can top the previous two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Piste wrote: »
    My boyfriend was at your debs, he said it was a good night!
    Well naturally, I mean I was there. :p

It was a good night, but not what it's hyped up to be.

It was a good night, but not what it's hyped up to be.

Of course, because I wasn't there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I heard about a school which completely trashed the hotel their debs was at.Literally punching holes in the wall from what I heard.They'll be hard pushed to find a venue next year.Anyone else heard stories like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

What a bizarre thing to do. I know this year's debs committee had some difficulties getting places because of drug problems related to my school in previous years, so our debs is off in the middle of west meath or something. We're civilised enough that we wouldn't punch holes in walls, though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Sabrina411

Duno if this is the place to ask but i was just wondering is it acceptable for a guy to bring a younger girl to the debs with him who is not in theiir school or year??

Not that im a guy...my friend (who bless him still has plucked up the courage to ask anyone yet) wants to know!

Advertisement