Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Debs

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DupsTheKid

Sabrina411 wrote: »
    Duno if this is the place to ask but i was just wondering is it acceptable for a guy to bring a younger girl to the debs with him who is not in theiir school or year??

Not that im a guy...my friend (who bless him still has plucked up the courage to ask anyone yet) wants to know!
    Alot of my friends are bringing younger girls to their debs so I'd definetely think it's ok.

I'd generally think anyone 16+ would be fine, although if the girl was bang on 16 I would imagine her parents may concern quite a bit about her.

Anyone 15 or under would be a no-go unless the person graduating was 16 themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

^^young?

As in "Hi this is ________ and shes doing the junior cert this year" young?

Dups... is pretty spot on there above me, that's exactly what I would have said myself.

As for thrashing the place, not good. Our principal was a right Maggie Thatcher and wouldn't let us use the schools name for the Debs in any way. It's an unoffical thing.The school has no history of misconduct and it's really just her showing off her power one last time before we escape her (hopefully) forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Got my debs dress in Germany a few days ago. What a bargain!

And the best thing is I don't really drink a lot so the whole thing will be cheap! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

My debs not for another six weeks, but as of right now I have neither a dress nor a date nor the tickets.
    I'm not exactly highly organised. =[

I have two of the above three things...no tickets.
    Would do well to ask for them soon actually!

Well I technically have two of the things in the above post...a suit obviously, not a dress :pac:

I'm bringing a good female mate, she's no hassle what so ever, and fashionable enough to look well in a black bag. Happy days. Not a moany little lady either, that's very important. Tonight we partyz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭LayLay

My debs is in three weeks.

Have the dress, have the shoes, have the bag, have the tickets, have the limo arranged, have the hair booked, friend is arranging the tan, have jewellary, have the date.

Costs approx: €558 (had to approx hair and tan). Wow, its an experience night, I'll say that! That doesn't include drink money for the night and when we come back home, there is an after party in my friends house which means more money. But, my dress can be shortened and I can use it for nights out and stuff so the dress will not be wasted which is a good thing! The limo was the most experience out of all of that. Everything arranged as far as I can think off. :D Looking forward to the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I have the date... and no dress. Not getting tan or makeup (not how I roll, as it were), should probably cut the hair or something... Going to the USA next month so with any luck I'll get a dress there and it'll be sorted.
    Never even occurred to me that I might need to get tickets. Paid for them alright, but pieces of paper? God no. Here's hoping they just have a guestlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

^^^ I think bringing a mate tends to be the best course of action, 'cause then at least you know that you can look at your debs photo without cringing or bringing back bad memories of an ex.

I'm still dreading going dress shopping. Being a five two isn't the most helpful when debs dresses are designed for like, people five eight.
    I had enough trouble getting one last year, I really don't want to go through it all again. :(

But the night itself should be a good one! I'm looking forward to it, I think.... =]

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭LayLay

How so Joe wrote: »
    I'm still dreading going dress shopping. Being a five two isn't the most helpful when debs dresses are designed for like, people five eight.
    I had enough trouble getting one last year, I really don't want to go through it all again. :(

I'm 5' so I was in the same boat as you. I found a dress that without heels, was hanging off me, lol. But with heels, its looks great and is the prefect length.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

wait a sec, if ur a guy bringing a girl to your debs, does that mean you have to pay for everything. ie: her dress, hair, drinks etc... I know you'd probably be a bit scabby if you didnt pay for her ticket but do you have to pay for anything else???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Peleus wrote: »
    wait a sec, if ur a guy bringing a girl to your debs, does that mean you have to pay for everything. ie: her dress, hair, drinks etc... I know you'd probably be a bit scabby if you didnt pay for her ticket but do you have to pay for anything else???

Drinks is the only other thing i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Peleus wrote: »

Depends on whether you want anal or not.

If the girl's expecting you to pay for all that, I'd reconsider bringing her to your debs! If a guy was bringing me to their debs, the only thing I'd expect to be paid for would be the ticket, and if he was getting a limo, that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

Just from scanning through the posts in this thread, I have to say a lot of you are making too big a deal out of the debs! Countless american teen dramas would have you believe that the prom/debs is the most important, life-changing event of your life. Here's a revelation for yas: its not.

I work in a hotel and I've served at several debs this year so far and I've become de-sensitised to the whole thing. Some people have gotten too drunk and had to go home before the dinner even got underway; others stayed out in the smoking area with a few pints and didn't bother with half the meal! People get kicked out for being too rowdy in the niteclub part of the hotel and one fool even spilt his whole table's soup on top of himself (and worse, some girls expensive dress!)

There are no "rules" to a debs as some of you seem to assume. Just treat it as another night out, enjoy it, don't get too drunk. For those of you concerned that you don't know your date too well, relax. Everybody usually just hangs with their own mates after the meal anyway. So don't stress yourselves over the preparation ppl :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The Debs is a great laugh.

For our school, we got to dress up as snobs for a night and get absolutely locked. It was a great night.

On "rules": I bought my date two drinks and then let her buy her own...might explain why I've only talked to her once in the eleven months since. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Sabrina411 wrote: »
    Duno if this is the place to ask but i was just wondering is it acceptable for a guy to bring a younger girl to the debs with him who is not in theiir school or year??

Not that im a guy...my friend (who bless him still has plucked up the courage to ask anyone yet) wants to know!

My date is 17 (im 18) and only going into 6th year in September. Two years age difference is the max IMO.

As for my debs....its in 4 weeks. I still have to get my tux and my dates ticket everything else is sorted. :D

Ah it depends. Obviously an 18 year old guy bringing a 15 year old girl is a bit off, but an 18 year old girl bringing a 21 year old seems acceptable, etc. I'll be 19 on the day of my debs so I'll only be a year younger than my bf. : p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I've started to freak out! I haven't a clue who I'm going to bring! I have a dress but it has been discussed among my many aunties and they decided they don't really like it, damn me valuing their opinion :mad:

don't get too drunk

:eek:
    --
    My debs isn't until September 12th (or 13th, me no know) but I'm more or less sorted now. The longer I left everything the less likely it was to get done.

Left the limo booking to a friend, he best have done it. I won't even think about that, I'm nervous enough about next Weds without bloody limos coming into things.

I agree completely with phenomenons post. The world still spins the day after, and *shock* even if you don't go.

On "rules": I bought my date two drinks and then let her buy her own...
    eddie_hobbs_lrg.jpg
    Recession, recession, recession.

I can't be buying feckin' multicoloured drinks all night for 'young uns'
    Think I said it earlier in this topic, but the mate whos Debs I went to earlier this year doesn't really drink much, so the wallet didn't take the hammering it expected. I remember seeing the same poor fella at the bar all night looking a little less lucky :rolleyes:

they decided they don't really like it, damn me valuing their opinion

Do you like it?
    If you answered 'Yes', then happy days.
    It's your debs afterall, they won't even be there!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

PrivateEye wrote: »
    My debs isn't until September 12th (or 13th, me no know)

Do you like it?
    If you answered 'Yes', then happy days.
    It's your debs afterall, they won't even be there!

I have to wait until October!
    Tried on the dress and made a few alteration to the straps and it looks ten times better :D Looking for shoes today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

Debs in just over two weeks! Got my dress this weekend!! And i think a friend booked a limo on wednesday! All coming together..

Advertisement