Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying with no service history

Options
  • 22-07-2007 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi,

im looking to buy a used car and i saw a really nice 02 Uk import Golf Gt TDi.
    the car looks amazing and drives perfectly. I've driven a few tdis and this was much better than any of them.

the car was imported in Jan of this year and there are 98000 miles on the clock which seems fine.

The only thing worrying me is that it doesnt come with a service history and a log book (the black binder with the cars instructions). the seller says he never got one when he bought the car.
    Will this cause problems for me when I go to sell the car? Ill probably be trading in the car at a dealers when I get my next car.

Im going to get a HPI check done to make sure the milage is alright.

Any help would be great!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Doesn't the HPI check also give details of the car's service history?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

i'd be wary of one without a fsh given how easy it is to clock a car.

For peace of mind i'd buy one with a fsh and makes it easier to sell on

thats just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd avoid too, uk import and no service history spells trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Too many horror stories on here recently, especially regarding VW diesels imported from the UK that have been clocked.

No service history = no sale

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I would avoid it unless you can trace the service history. If you can find out the UK reg & VIN (chassis) number & also find out where the car was serviced you may be able to call the service department to get an account of the service history. Check for stickers in the engine bay, rear windscreen, driver's door jamb, etc, for any garage names.

TBH Golf TDIs are not exactly rare so don't jump in and buy this one unless you are certain of the history. It's easy enough to go over & find your own UK import too. I hink nearly all of the regular posters to this forum have done it at one stage or another. See the sticky & the many other posts relating to the topic of importing from the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Don't forget that a service history (to an extent) can be forged or altered.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The short answer is don't buy it. There are plenty more Golfs out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

If you knew a very good mechanic get him to check it out, judge the car for what it is and if you do buy it make sure you buy it for a knockdown price

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

As Onkle said, once you do the HPI and get a good mechanic/AA/RAC to check it out, you should be fine. How many Irish cars are sold without servive history. If the car is clean and milage is verified by the HPI use the no FSH to get a deal off the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Whats a service history bar a few stamps in a book
    Look for the other odometers. ie drivers seat steering wheel. drivers door etc.
    Is it under the market value?

• Advertisement

deckie27 wrote:
    Whats a service history bar a few stamps in a book
    Those stamps can be verified by calling the garages, thus showing that the car has been properly maintained. They also help to substantiate mileage. This is why clocked cars 'lose' their service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its a 5 year old car and its got 98000 miles on the clock.

If I was clocking a car, I'd show a bit more ambition than that....

loyatemu wrote:
    its a 5 year old car and its got 98000 miles on the clock.

If I was clocking a car, I'd show a bit more ambition than that....
    Depends on the car. If the real mileage is, say 230k then 98k strikes me as a reasonable figure to clock back to.

Advertisement