Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Problems

Options
  • 22-07-2007 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

hi, anyone else having a problem with ntl? in internet cafe at the mo checking mails.

my broadband's been down for 3 days now, and the tv's off and on too. based in north dublin.

the accounts not with me, so haven't called em, just wondering if anyone else if having trouble, and if so have they gotten on to them.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

yeah the BB as out today aswell as setanta and MTV .

go here http://192.168.100.1/CmNavigation.asp

password and username are both root.

then go to upstream and give me the rating for
    Upstream transmit Power Level

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Broadband and tv working fine here in Dublin 1.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

All's fine and well out in North Co. Dublin

yeah its ok for me too now, but it was bad earlier on .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

yeah the BB as out today aswell as setanta and MTV .

go here http://192.168.100.1/CmNavigation.asp

password and username are both root.

then go to upstream and give me the rating for
    Upstream transmit Power Level

hey christophicus, that links not working, what is it by the way?

there's no conneciton at all..... it's weird, it say's i'm connected to the internet but can't access any webpages.

also, the tv's on the blink, just black screen. web and tv acting up since friday.

• Advertisement

Ok put this into your browser 192.168.100.1 on your pc at home , then click login and follow the steps that were in the last post. That is the ip address for the ntl modem, and you can see alot of info there.

Yeah the tv was the same for me , but only on a few channles .

Ok put this into your browser 192.168.100.1 on your pc at home , then click login and follow the steps that were in the last post. That is the ip address for the ntl modem, and you can see alot of info there.

thanks for that, i'm on a mates pc at the mo.

it's weird, as it says i'm connected, but can't browse, not slow, nothing.

i'll take down that number and try when i get home. ta.

i can get mate to ring them, but from what i've heard on here, they're a nightmare to deal with.

Yeah there is nearly no point in ringing them,all they will do is say they will send someone out, and it is usually at least 2 weeks before the person can get there. It was the same with me mate . It was saying I was connected but nothing would load.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

My normally rock solid connection (D17) has been very flaky all night, lots of timeouts. Upstream transmit Power Level is 50.5 dBmV if that means anything to anyone?

Edit: The odd amount of packet loss on the way to UPCs core might not be helping ;)
    Hop RTT Lost/Sent = Pct Lost/Sent = Pct Address
    1 --- 100/ 100 =100% 100/ 100 =100% 089-101-020086.ntlworld.ie [89.101.20.86]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    2 --- 100/ 100 =100% 100/ 100 =100% 10.92.160.1
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    3 540ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 089-101-163001.ntlworld.ie [89.101.163.1]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    4 557ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 213.46.165.49
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    5 554ms 2/ 100 = 2% 2/ 100 = 2% nl-ams-rc-02-pos-2-0.chellonetwork.com [213.46.160.17]

0/ 100 = 0% |
    6 578ms 4/ 100 = 4% 4/ 100 = 4% 213.46.174.142
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    7 582ms 3/ 100 = 3% 3/ 100 = 3% 195.66.226.125
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    8 640ms 1/ 100 = 1% 1/ 100 = 1% 66.249.95.130
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    9 661ms 2/ 100 = 2% 2/ 100 = 2% 209.85.250.216
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    10 626ms 1/ 100 = 1% 1/ 100 = 1% 72.14.232.233
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    11 598ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 64.233.174.187
    1/ 100 = 1% |
    12 643ms 3/ 100 = 3% 2/ 100 = 2% 64.233.174.14
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    13 603ms 1/ 100 = 1% 0/ 100 = 0% lm-in-f104.google.com [66.102.9.104]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

alienhead wrote:
    hi, anyone else having a problem with ntl? in internet cafe at the mo checking mails.

my broadband's been down for 3 days now, and the tv's off and on too. based in north dublin.

the accounts not with me, so haven't called em, just wondering if anyone else if having trouble, and if so have they gotten on to them.

thanks

NTL digital TV been down in raheny for most of the weekend. analogue signal also very bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

My NTL has been fairly rubish to say the least for the past 2 weeks atleast now. Sluggish, D/c's alot & pings out. The most annoying problem is at around 1PM alot of days our TV service and broadband goes on and off intermittantly. Its VERY irritating. Alot of the time recnetly too my BB has gone off, and prooved very difficult to get going again. It has problems aquiring upstream info or downstream info ( can be monitored in http://192.168.100.1 ) So yeah, rubbish service to say the least here in D15 area where i am. Several mates in the same location are all have similar issues. If it keeps up, I've had enough of it. They're constantly having faults and I can't hack it anymore.

Hj

Hmmm it seems to be nation wide and not localised then :(.

Guys check out this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055121809 that I started a while ago. It may give you some more info.

And yes markpb apparently 50.5 dBmV is too high. Mine is on 61!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

50.5 dBmV is alright don't worry about that. 54 ish is when I would start to worry. If the tap your fed from is a high value it has to work that bit harder to get back on the network, so it will transmit higher.

NTL digital TV been down in raheny for most of the weekend. analogue signal also very bad.

ye, my tv's knackered, first wasn't working at all, now it's giving me some upgrade screen that says it'll take 5 min, does it fcuk!

do you have broadband with them gerardkeating? if so, is it working?

checked that christophicus, the Upstream transmit Power Level was somthing like 8 dBmV, is that bad.

also, say's there's a sync problem........ terrible service, no information on their site.

anyone know any decent alternatives to ntl broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

My broadband and tv have both been down since Thursday in D24, they're sending somebody out on Wednesday.

masterK wrote:
    My broadband and tv have both been down since Thursday in D24, they're sending somebody out on Wednesday.

i guess that means waiting around the house for them :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Hmmm it seems to be nation wide and not localised then :(.

Not so - like others on this thread mine's fine (I'm in Waterford). Checked at 8:00pm on Saturday last on www.speedtest.net Got something like 53ms latency; 5.6 Megs down, and 512 up. Checked my modem and it's transmit power is 52.1.

Also, checked with two friends of mine (2 Meg NTL and running Blueface like me). No problems there either.
    Guys check out this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055121809 that I started a while ago. It may give you some more info.

And yes markpb apparently 50.5 dBmV is too high. Mine is on 61!!!!

Didn't someone else say you only need to worry when it goes above 54?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

I lost connectivity whilst surfing on Sat night at about 8pm. I'm in Dublin 15 area about 1km from HungryJoey. I called NTL about it on Sun and I've booked an engineer for Thursday afternoon (1pm-6pm). Does anybody know what exactly the engineer does when he visits? If the problem is in the D15 area, what's the point of him calling to my house? Unless he's gonna replace the modem or change some of the settings? Anybody?

This is the 2nd wknd in a row that my connection has dropped. Also, when it came back last week, I noticed I was on a 6MB connection??? I'm usually on 3MB. When I called NTL, the guy told me I had always been on a 6MB connection. I explained to him that when I signed up to NTL BB about 2 years ago, there was no 6MB offering! Also, the first 3 months were free so I signed up for their best package, 3MB and never changed it thereafter. He was adamant though. Gob****e. I asked to be switched back to the 3MB and I've also signed up to get my bills online. When they eventually send out the PIN number, I'll check when exactly I was switched to the 6MB (Broadband Max) package and give them hell. Hopefully get money back but that's probably being a little too optimistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

aaf wrote:
    I lost connectivity whilst surfing on Sat night at about 8pm. I'm in Dublin 15 area about 1km from HungryJoey. I called NTL about it on Sun and I've booked an engineer for Thursday afternoon (1pm-6pm). Does anybody know what exactly the engineer does when he visits? If the problem is in the D15 area, what's the point of him calling to my house? Unless he's gonna replace the modem or change some of the settings? Anybody?

This is the 2nd wknd in a row that my connection has dropped. Also, when it came back last week, I noticed I was on a 6MB connection??? I'm usually on 3MB. When I called NTL, the guy told me I had always been on a 6MB connection. I explained to him that when I signed up to NTL BB about 2 years ago, there was no 6MB offering! Also, the first 3 months were free so I signed up for their best package, 3MB and never changed it thereafter. He was adamant though. Gob****e. I asked to be switched back to the 3MB and I've also signed up to get my bills online. When they eventually send out the PIN number, I'll check when exactly I was switched to the 6MB (Broadband Max) package and give them hell. Hopefully get money back but that's probably being a little too optimistic!

Personally I see no point in an engineer calling out to your house as its a more nationwide issue I recon ( Or well D15 issue :o ) The people behind the phones @ NTL are tied to the system and I guess all they can offer is an engineer to call out to your house to Fix/Analyse the issue. That said, I doubt there is anything they can really do especially as the issue is so intermittant and hard to pin point. I believe all my NTL BB AND NTL TV service issues all lie externally. Especially with the amount of people and people on my road alone with the same issues, happening constantly.. there lies a major problem somewhere out there in their network and its an absoloute joke. I mean it may not sound like much, but for your TV & Broadband service to go several times a day on a weekly basis over the last several week for up to hours at a time, Is absoloutly patethic.

Hj

• Advertisement

Freddie59 wrote:
    Not so - like others on this thread mine's fine (I'm in Waterford). Checked at 8:00pm on Saturday last on www.speedtest.net Got something like 53ms latency; 5.6 Megs down, and 512 up. Checked my modem and it's transmit power is 52.1.

Also, checked with two friends of mine (2 Meg NTL and running Blueface like me). No problems there either.

Didn't someone else say you only need to worry when it goes above 54?:confused:

Yes someone did say you only need to worry when it goes above 54 but then someone else said 50, so I am not sure which one it is. Anyway that value fluctuates , Mine has been on 56 for a long time so yours is dangerously close aswell.

And on the fact of you or your friends not noticing any disruption in the service , well it is possible that you were simply not using the internet when there is something wrong. The internet is pretty much in use in my house for 20 hours of the day so thats how I would notice. I really wouldnt rule out it being a nationwide occurence, after all dont you think that its strange that myself (in waterford) and then some people in D15 are having the exact same problem and a problem that none of us have ever seen before.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

HungryJoey wrote:
    Personally I see no point in an engineer calling out to your house as its a more nationwide issue I recon ( Or well D15 issue :o ) The people behind the phones @ NTL are tied to the system and I guess all they can offer is an engineer to call out to your house to Fix/Analyse the issue. That said, I doubt there is anything they can really do especially as the issue is so intermittant and hard to pin point. I believe all my NTL BB AND NTL TV service issues all lie externally. Especially with the amount of people and people on my road alone with the same issues, happening constantly.. there lies a major problem somewhere out there in their network and its an absoloute joke. I mean it may not sound like much, but for your TV & Broadband service to go several times a day on a weekly basis over the last several week for up to hours at a time, Is absoloutly patethic.

Hj

Yes I agree with you totally - this obsession with sending an 'engineer' out is incredible and must waste so much money on NTL's part not to mention forcing people to take time off work unnecessarily. There were obsessed with this before UPC took over.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Is this happening with anyone else besides NTL?

My brother just called me and the EIRCOM connection at home was bad all day and now he can't open any web pages at all. He says the red light on the modem keeps flicking on every now and again. The connection was dropping the odd time over the weekend for me but appears to be not loading pages at all today for him.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

clown bag wrote:
    Is this happening with anyone else besides NTL?

My brother just called me and the EIRCOM connection at home was bad all day and now he can't open any web pages at all. He says the red light on the modem keeps flicking on every now and again. The connection was dropping the odd time over the weekend for me but appears to be not loading pages at all today for him.

The 'wet' weather has caused major problems for Eircom in many locations so could be that.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0722/eircom.html

Yes someone did say you only need to worry when it goes above 54 but then someone else said 50, so I am not sure which one it is. Anyway that value fluctuates , Mine has been on 56 for a long time so yours is dangerously close aswell.

And on the fact of you or your friends not noticing any disruption in the service , well it is possible that you were simply not using the internet when there is something wrong. The internet is pretty much in use in my house for 20 hours of the day so thats how I would notice. I really wouldnt rule out it being a nationwide occurence, after all dont you think that its strange that myself (in waterford) and then some people in D15 are having the exact same problem and a problem that none of us have ever seen before.

We use it an awful lot. AND use Blueface - without any problems. One of my friends is in the upper City area (like myself) and the other is on the Dunmore Road.

A nationwide occurence would indicate major problems - and would that not be reflected by the number of posts here? NTL seem to have no more than, say, Eircom or BT on these boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

a flashing ready light in lucan all evening :(:(:(:(:(
    what is going on , this makes me really misserable

NTL ARE A SHOWER OF *****

Freddie59 wrote:
    A nationwide occurence would indicate major problems - and would that not be reflected by the number of posts here? NTL seem to have no more than, say, Eircom or BT on these boards.

Yeah i was thinking that , possibly the majority of people do not notice it happening, Or maybe it is only affecting those that already had a poor line are were previosly closer to the poor signals than others . There are many possibilities.

Yeah i was thinking that , possibly the majority of people do not notice it happening, Or maybe it is only affecting those that already had a poor line are were previosly closer to the poor signals than others . There are many possibilities.

Probably a poor line as you say. If it was me I'd keep after them. The thing can be reliable - that's obvious. It's no different to buying something faulty in a shop - you'd bring it back until it was fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

The clowns really drive you mad. I'm without TV and Broadband since last Thursday. They told me somebody would be out Saturday morning gone when I rang Thursday, I called again on Saturday to get a time for their visit, I was told there was no record of my call and nobody was booked to come out to me. They then told me somebody would be out between 1 and 6 Wednesday, I rang again yesterday to confirm that and guess what? No record of my call again and no engineer booked to come out.

What are these morons playing at? Do they just tell you that an engineer will be out to get you off the line?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

masterK wrote:
    The clowns really drive you mad. I'm without TV and Broadband since last Thursday. They told me somebody would be out Saturday morning gone when I rang Thursday, I called again on Saturday to get a time for their visit, I was told there was no record of my call and nobody was booked to come out to me. They then told me somebody would be out between 1 and 6 Wednesday, I rang again yesterday to confirm that and guess what? No record of my call again and no engineer booked to come out.

What are these morons playing at? Do they just tell you that an engineer will be out to get you off the line?

let me know how you get on, are you getting a flashing ready light? strangely my tv works but i dont need it cause i have sky :(

Advertisement