Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Problems

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

okcomputer wrote:
    let me know how you get on, are you getting a flashing ready light? strangely my tv works but i dont need it cause i have sky :(

Mine was sorted yesterday, I was disconnected by mistake, they were supposed to disconnect my next door neighbour and disconnected me instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

aaf wrote:
    I lost connectivity whilst surfing on Sat night at about 8pm. I'm in Dublin 15 area about 1km from HungryJoey. I called NTL about it on Sun and I've booked an engineer for Thursday afternoon (1pm-6pm). Does anybody know what exactly the engineer does when he visits? If the problem is in the D15 area, what's the point of him calling to my house? Unless he's gonna replace the modem or change some of the settings? Anybody?
    Well, I had 4 (four) NTL engineers call out to me on Thursday afternoon. They noticed that my connection was dropping packets (as much as 50%). They tried quickly swapping the cable modem but no joy. They then concluded that it was indeed a problem in the area and not just my setup. I had told that to the telephone tech support person a few days beforehand!!! They then said that they'd go check things in the local exchange and that it could be up to 48 hrs before it was fixed. Was away for the wknd so checked it last night. Still the same issues. Dropping packets. 10 mins for web page to load etc, etc. If it's not fixed by the time I get home from work today, I'm lodging a complaint (for all the good that will do me). Over a week without BB and I have VOIP so no house phone. What a pain in the arse! A guy here in work is experiencing similar problems but he's in Rathfarmham and without BB for a couple of weeks! Has anyone had much luck in complaining or has anyone got any contact details for anyone senior in NTL?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

aaf wrote:
    Well, I had 4 (four) NTL engineers call out to me on Thursday afternoon.

Such mindboggling incompetence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

okcomputer wrote:
    a flashing ready light in lucan all evening :(:(:(:(:(
    what is going on , this makes me really misserable

NTL ARE A SHOWER OF *****

Got the same flashing ready light all over the weekend, hopefully will be fixed this evening when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 N_T_HELL

It's the same here in Clonsilla, Blanchardstown. My name isn't on the account but a friend of mine who lives across the road also has the same issue. He called ntl a few days ago. He said "..I got a call from them yesterday. Seemingly there have been problems in our area since the 18th of July. There is to be a temp fix applied this weekend which should last two weeks and then a permanent fix will be applied..". FYI I noticed no difference over the weekend. If I manage to run a speed test (irishisptest) I get 4% quality of service result. :confused:

What really gets me though is the lack of feedback or even a heads up from ntl. You wouldn't think there is anything wrong when you visit their homepage. Anyway, at least I'm not the only one.

P.S TV seems fine though... for now :eek:

• Advertisement

N_T_HELL wrote:
    It's the same here in Clonsilla, Blanchardstown. My name isn't on the account but a friend of mine who lives across the road also has the same issue. He called ntl a few days ago. He said "..I got a call from them yesterday. Seemingly there have been problems in our area since the 18th of July. There is to be a temp fix applied this weekend which should last two weeks and then a permanent fix will be applied..".
    Are you saying that they are only going to be putting a temp fix in this coming wknd (Aug bank holiday wknd?) and two week later, a permanent fix? If that's the case, that means I'm without BB + phone for the week? I'll be onto NTL this evening if thats the case.

aaf wrote:
    Are you saying that they are only going to be putting a temp fix in this coming wknd (Aug bank holiday wknd?) and two week later, a permanent fix? If that's the case, that means I'm without BB + phone for the week? I'll be onto NTL this evening if thats the case.

My friend got the call Thursday 26th July, so I assume it was the weekend just gone where this "temp fix" was supposed to be applied. But as I said I didn't notice any change Saturday/Sunday. It was still extremely slow and unresponsive. Yes he was told a permanent fix will be applied in 2 weeks, but I won't hold my breath.

{Update} It's 18:07, a couple hours since I posted this. Net seems a little better now, not as fast as it should be though. Ran 'irishisptest' and quality of service is now 25%, better than 4% I suppose.

Just in the door. Everything seems to be working perfectly now. No dropped packets. Ran speed test. Have my 3mb down and 300k up. 99% QOS. Lets hope it stays this way. I'll post updates during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

My ready light was blinking all day just to let you guys know. Its ok now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

My ready light was blinking all day just to let you guys know. Its ok now though.
    You really need a service call. You have all the sign of a line fault. Is it an upgrade area you live in?.
    On the transmit level it depend on the value of tap your fed from too. The higher the value of the tap the higher the modem needs to transmit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

ready light been ****ing blinking constantly since July 23 i as so fcuking pissed off. a guy called on the 25th and could fix it so they have referred it to the "NETWORKS DEPARTMENT" who take 7 to 10 fcuking days to call out!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

it took about 12 phone calls to talk to a team leader and I am still waiting for a call from the bleedin NETWORKS DEPARTMENT

DICK HEADS

in lucan

In one of my previous posts I said I wouldn't hold my breath about this latest "fix". Anyway, long story short I was surfing smoothly when I arrived home from work today, but the last few hours have been very very bad. Infact, this is my second attempt to post on boards.ie because my last effort dissipated to nothingness. Someone should ring Joe Duffy. ;)

okcomputer wrote:
    ready light been ****ing blinking constantly since July 23 i as so fcuking pissed off. a guy called on the 25th and could fix it so they have referred it to the "NETWORKS DEPARTMENT" who take 7 to 10 fcuking days to call out!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

it took about 12 phone calls to talk to a team leader and I am still waiting for a call from the bleedin NETWORKS DEPARTMENT

DICK HEADS

in lucan

I am in Lucan too and its been working ok since yesterday. I have to say I have only had 3 outages over the last year and 2 of them in the last 2 weeks. Was told by tech support that there are upgrades going on so thats what caused the problems. Hope you get it sorted soon.

What's the craic with these upgrades? Which areas are they upgrading? I know they are upgrading in Rathfarnham and now Lucan. Are they upgrading D15 area too? Any info on what the upgrades will bring to us home users?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

both NTL broadband and TV have gone in bloody finglas today :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

upgrade is the new tech support words for sh1t service! or an oversupplied to node! I've been told upgrade works in d15 for the past 4 months! its not possible to be this slow at laying a few hundred meters of coax cable?

sent em this email last friday. Apparently they are calling me towards the end of this week , i'll "remind" them tomorrow....i cam going to demand a full months refund including refund for TV if no one calls out this week:

NOTE: THE NAMES OF STAFF IN THIS EXAMPLE HAVE BEEN CHANGED

FAO NETWORKS SECTION

Hi

I would like to register a complaint against the delays in fixing my broadband connection

I understand that it can take time to fix issues, but something simple such as a standard network issue should not take 3 weeks to fix. It is not my problem that network engineers take 7 to 10 working days to call out, and that inhouse technicians do not have the expertise to fix network problems. I would expect a faster turnaround than 7 to 10 days and I am not happy with that

I have various issues aswell

1. Why did the inhouse technician /or NTL not inform me on Wednesday that he couldnt fix the issue? Why did I have to chase it on Thursday?
    2. Why was I told on Thursday that I would get a call from a team leader that day, I mean , I was assured I would get a call
    3. Why when I ring this morning after you as an organisation have failed to ring me not let me speak to a team leader/network section, surely that would be reasonble?
    4 Why did Roger, who was very nice and understanding but something of an exception I am finding, apolgise and agree to get someone to ring me this morning, and then no one follow through with that
    5. Why when I ring at 12:30 after you as an organisation have failed to ring me not let me speak to a team leader/network section, surely that would be reasonble?
    6. Why did Maria completely backtrack on what Roger said and say "network department would call me when they would call me"
    7. Why when I ring at 3pm after you as an organisation have failed to ring me not let me speak to a team leader/network section, surely that would be reasonble?

Please can someone escalate this so I dont have to suffer this 7-10 day working day nightmare
    Please can I have a contact name and phone number in the networks section so I dont have to bombard the poor creatures on the main helpline who now cannot do anything anymore,as they keep telling me

HELP PLEASE

Hugh

NTL broadband still not working in Lucan , maybe 2 weeks later, I must have rang about 20 times :(

My wonderful BB is gone again since Sunday. Fourth wknd in a row. I've had enough. Called their tech support again and they said they have no reports of a problem in the area and that they'd look into it. Can anyone point me towards a contact email address or phone number of anyone with a bit of authority in NTL? PM if you like. I've got a long list of complaints to make.

okcomputer wrote:
    NTL broadband still not working in Lucan , maybe 2 weeks later, I must have rang about 20 times :(

What part of Lucan are you in? Mine has been working fine for the last 2 weeks.

Do you get the flashing Ready light all the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

aaf wrote:
    My wonderful BB is gone again since Sunday. Fourth wknd in a row. I've had enough. Called their tech support again and they said they have no reports of a problem in the area and that they'd look into it. Can anyone point me towards a contact email address or phone number of anyone with a bit of authority in NTL? PM if you like. I've got a long list of complaints to make.

Same issue here.(We're in the same area) Just came back on there during the day. I'm fed up of it, happening too often. No TV or Broadband services for the bank holiday weekend.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 28 penfold944

I used to have massive problems with my NTL tv service - every day I had to unplug the digital box and power it up again....

When I eventually got through to a script monkey, they came up with this ridiculous suggestion of boosting the signal to the box ( I have 2 of them - so how they could boost the signal to the one they told me to plug out... ).

Strangely enough I've never had a problem with it since...... Their TV service is so rubbish - I couldnt even think about using them for broadband....

qwytre wrote:
    What part of Lucan are you in? Mine has been working fine for the last 2 weeks.

Do you get the flashing Ready light all the time?

yes flashing ready.....they say there is low levels in the area and the elusive Networks department (who cannot be contacted) need to call out. I dont believe them. What area are you in? I am in Esker Woods

okcomputer wrote:
    yes flashing ready.....they say there is low levels in the area and the elusive Networks department (who cannot be contacted) need to call out. I dont believe them. What area are you in? I am in Esker Woods

I'm just around the corner in elmbrook walk, have to say its strange that its working ok here. I suppose they wont expect you to pay for this extended outage? Fair enough if the broadband goes down for 1 or 2 days per year but this sounds pretty bad.

qwytre wrote:
    I'm just around the corner in elmbrook walk, have to say its strange that its working ok here. I suppose they wont expect you to pay for this extended outage? Fair enough if the broadband goes down for 1 or 2 days per year but this sounds pretty bad.

i'll be asking for a lot more than just compensation for the outage period, will start at 3 months free internet and tv...and then settle for maybe 2 months but this is a flippin disgrace

2 and a half weeks and counting

fixed now, i threatened a month free for every day outside of service , I dont know if that made a difference

Advertisement