Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

HE setup...not enough inputs on TV

• 22-07-2007 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭

I have a problem, as the tile suggests, with the amount of inputs on my tv.
    I have a 32in bravia (32V2000) with inputs, 1xHDMI, 1x Component, 1xVGA,
    1xS-Video, 2xScart.

So what I need to connect (and what way I have them connected)!
    Xbox360 - VGA (and staying that way)
    Wii - Component
    Cable box (dbox) - Scart (the smartlink one)
    Bose 321EX - Svideo (this is my sound but also has a dvd player hence connected to the svideo)
    Sony RDR-HX725 - This is the problem, I use this to record from my cable, via scart, but would like to connect it using component. The only connection I have left is scart, is there anything I can do?

What way would you people have it set up?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

buy a component switch box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Buy an expensive Amp that does video switching too. Via Remote.

John

you can get component switchers with remotes too..lot less than an amp if he doesn't need one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

what do you use more - the sony HX725 or the Wii??

which ever one you use most, connect that with component and the other with scart.

moe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

big_moe wrote:
    what do you use more - the sony HX725 or the Wii??

which ever one you use most, connect that with component and the other with scart.

moe

I think i'll be going with this in the meantime. The switching box would be a problem for my wife (she already complains about all the remotes :) ).
    The amp is a no unfortunately. I guess I'll just have to buy a tv with more inputs....and make it bigger at the same time ;).....never going to happen!

• Advertisement

that;s going to be a serious hit in picture quality in whichever is connected by scart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

You could always just buy a Wii s-video cable and let the Sony device use component (assuming your TV has an s-video input) that would be the most sensible thing to do and the IQ difference between s-video and component on the Wii is probably pretty minimal.

8T8 wrote:
    You could always just buy a Wii s-video cable and let the Sony device use component (assuming your TV has an s-video input) that would be the most sensible thing to do and the IQ difference between s-video and component on the Wii is probably pretty minimal.

Cool, will have a look at that, though the bose is connected by svideo, but I don't need its dvd player, only its sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

You should consider something like the component Joytech 245c, and a universal remote. I use a Harmony 525 remote and it does almost everything for me (PS3 excluded) but it means I can just one button to, turn on the units, change the video input on my TV, change the audio on my amp, change the switcher to the correct input and then that remote is set up for the task I doing (Sky/DVD/Xbox).

johnnyflav wrote:
    You should consider something like the component Joytech 245c, and a universal remote. I use a Harmony 525 remote and it does almost everything for me (PS3 excluded) but it means I can just one button to, turn on the units, change the video input on my TV, change the audio on my amp, change the switcher to the correct input and then that remote is set up for the task I doing (Sky/DVD/Xbox).

I didn't realise you could change a switcher by remote, thats interesting now.
    I have a Chamelon remote the big one that the display is touch sensitive. Couldn't get it working with all my devices, so it's just sitting there in the drawer.

Is the Harmony better?
    How much would component switcher with the remote capability be then?

• Advertisement

lafors wrote:
    I didn't realise you could change a switcher by remote, thats interesting now.
    ?
    didn't i tell you that 2 days ago?

mossym wrote:
    didn't i tell you that 2 days ago?

Doh! So you did :) I just remembered your first one about the switcher. :o

The switcher cost me €60 second hand (~€100 new), but it has switchers for optical and analoge audio, ethernet cable, composite video and component video. It comes in very handy when you've got plenty of boxes under the TV, I've got Sky HD and Xbox360 running through it at the minute.

The Logitech Harmony Remote is very handy, it's computer programmable so you can control almost any combination of devices you want, they'll vary a good bit in price depending on what model you want, the 525 is the lowest in the range, you can get it for €67 on komplett. I've had no trouble with mine and IMO it's well worth the money. It supports pratically all IR equipment you could possibly own, except PS3 and Wii.

One word of advice if you go down the remote road, you will need broadband and some technical know how. But if you spend a while setting it up properly initially you'll have no trouble.

johnnyflav wrote:
    The switcher cost me €60 second hand (~€100 new), but it has switchers for optical and analoge audio, ethernet cable, composite video and component video. It comes in very handy when you've got plenty of boxes under the TV, I've got Sky HD and Xbox360 running through it at the minute.

The Logitech Harmony Remote is very handy, it's computer programmable so you can control almost any combination of devices you want, they'll vary a good bit in price depending on what model you want, the 525 is the lowest in the range, you can get it for €67 on komplett. I've had no trouble with mine and IMO it's well worth the money. It supports pratically all IR equipment you could possibly own, except PS3 and Wii.

One word of advice if you go down the remote road, you will need broadband and some technical know how. But if you spend a while setting it up properly initially you'll have no trouble.

Cool will probably do this so :)
    No problem with the broadband (NTL) or the technical knowhow seeing as I'm an engineer ;)

Hey Lafors, there's a 245c for sale on adverts

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=29000&cat=50

If you were thinking of getting one, save your money on the box and upgrade the wires. The cables that come with the system are fairly rubbish.

Advertisement