Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legally speaking.....

Options
  • 22-07-2007 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

I apolise for my complete ignorance on the topic but I'm just wondering if it is illegal or legal to download a book that you already own so that you can read it on a PDA, laptop etc...

I thank you in advance for this info.

PS: I did search on google but I just got stuff about music and stuff, even though I searched for info on books. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I don't think the fact that you own the book has much bearing on the issue tbh.
    To be legally allowed to depends whether of not the piece in question is in the public domain, i.e. that no one currently can show that they still own it (through copyright or etc.) Usually books that have been written 125 years ago (in the US iirc) generally fall in to this category, as do a lot of others. An example of most books in this category are in the Project Gutenburg database.
    My $0.02.

Try posting here in the Legal Discussion Forum for a proper answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Thanks ZorbaTehZ.

I'll post there now......

I'm kinda expecting the answer to be illegal but I may be pleasantly surprised...

Advertisement