Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disk clean up.

• 22-07-2007 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi the past few days every few hours or so a window keeps popping up to tell me that the memory on (C:) is running out, and I could delete some unused things to make more room on it. One of the things that it suggested I delete on the list was the recycle bin among a few other things. How do I know what I can and should delete.

Its really getting on my nerves as I cant seem to listen to music or copy cds on my computer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Use this program, it's the best and won't delete anything you need.
    http://www.atribune.org/content/view/19/2/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭beer4life

Ok Ive downloaded it but I still dont know what is ok to get rid of and what I have to keep.
    (This was the reason I put up a thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It shouldn't delete anything of importance or that is vital to the system.

Run ATF Cleaner there, click Main at the top.

You can check all the boxes there, if you check Cookies then the username and passwords for sites will be erased, so don't check that if you don't know all your passwords. Click empty selected then.

If you use Firefox, click on Firefox at the top. You can check everything there, don't check Firefox cookies though if you don't know all your passwords. Click empty selected then.

That should clean up some space for you.

Edit : Ruu said it best actually.

Ok so I will clcik all the options it shows me? Including recycle bin? Do all computers not need this? Sorry for what might seem like terrible questions I'm just terrible with computers

• Advertisement

your best bet is to just clean everything, I guarantee it wont delete anything you need.

So run ATF Cleaner, click Main, click "Select all", click "empty selected".

Do the same for the Firefox option. Tell us how much that cleans.

For the main one it cleaned 180.684 mbs

And cant remember the firefox one cause I had it done before I read your post.

Is that gonna annoy me again or whats the story?

180.mbs isnt a lot of memory is it?

Also is it my hard drive that is running out of memory?

180mbs isnt too much, but its better than nothing. You will get that annoying message again, you really need more hard drive space. I suggest deleting some movies/tv shows/music, or putting them on a dvd or something.

Check how much space is on your hard drives, so do this :

Double click My Computer, right click on your hard drive(s), should be C:, click Properties, click on the General tab, post here with how much used and free space you have.

Used 7.30 Gb
    Free 566mb Ha ha I know I have an old computer with the worst memory.

I was sure my friend put in a 13gb hard drive recently for me but obviously not. I dont understand how all that space is taken up though as I only have a few albums o it. Do you reckon it might be photos that are taking up room?

I'm probably ****ed either way with such a crappy hard drive

Free 566mb
    That is crazy!! Your PC won't perform as good with such little hard drive space. I recommend running ATF Cleaner once a week to try keep as much space as you can.

Photos can take up a lot of room sometimes, they do on my PC. Try uninstall some programs you don't need, or delete some photos/music/movies you don't want. To be honest, you should invest in an external hard drive, they are cheap and last for ages, and hold a lot of space. You can get a 500 gig hard drive from between 200-300 id say. Think of all that space :)

Although a smaller hard drive might suit you better, check out www.komplett.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Grab an external hard drive if you are worried about having to install an internal, you can get a big one for peanuts these days, as suggested check Komplett.ie and looking for the Western Digital MyBook range. They will connect via the USB port on your machine.

Ya I see one there for 100 with 500gb of space. Great value for money. Oh and I have an extra Hard drive here which was originally in the computer but m friend took it out and said the one he put in had more than the one I had in it. There was not room for the two and no power source or something.
    Might just put the extra money towards my laptop. And I should be moving out soon so I wont be using this piece of crap much anyway!

Would it be advisable to go to my computer - properties and do another disk clean from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

Holy Shee!t freed up 1.7GB
    Thanks guys.

Any recommendations for a duplicate file finder/remover?

Would it be advisable to go to my computer - properties and do another disk clean from there.
    Yes you can do this, it might clean up some more space. Will be no harm in doing that.
    Holy Shee!t freed up 1.7GB
    Thanks guys.

Any recommendations for a duplicate file finder/remover?
    Yeah ATF Cleaner is pretty good :)
    This might be a decent program for a duplicate file finder
    http://www.download.com/Duplicate-File-Finder/3000-2248_4-10506816.html?tag=lst-0-1
    Just be careful what you delete

Yes you can do this, it might clean up some more space. Will be no harm in doing that.

Yeah ATF Cleaner is pretty good :)
    This might be a decent program for a duplicate file finder
    http://www.download.com/Duplicate-File-Finder/3000-2248_4-10506816.html?tag=lst-0-1
    Just be careful what you delete

Thanks, found that not impressed with it to be honest.
    I'll see if I can't find something a little better.

Beelzebub wrote:
    Thanks, found that not impressed with it to be honest.
    I'll see if I can't find something a little better.

This duplicate file finder is better:
    http://www.tucows.com/software_detail.html?id=373411, better interface anyway.

Advertisement