Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence renewal

Options
  • 22-07-2007 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone get the notice yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Bond-007 wrote:
    Anyone get the notice yet?

Nope got nothing yet. Hoping when I do get this years
    one that they will be able to up the limit from 100 to 500.
    When I first got my licence the local FO wouldnt let me increase it.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Still waiting here as well... I reckon Monday or Tuesday.....

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

im hoping i get mine after payday!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

bullets wrote:
    Nope got nothing yet. Hoping when I do get this years
    one that they will be able to up the limit from 100 to 500.
    When I first got my licence the local FO wouldnt let me increase it.

~B
    What is the procedure to get the limit changed?

Bond-007 wrote:
    What is the procedure to get the limit changed?

I guess one of those grey areas again.
    Have been told I need to let the Gardai know a few weeks
    before the renewels are out and I have been also told its a simple
    thing where the local garda will simply scribble over the 100 and put
    some larger figure in and stamp it there and then for ya!!!!
    I dont know the official truth on the matter....its probably so grey
    that it differs based on your local super or FO.

Personally when I go shooting I reckon I shoot around 100 Rnds an Hour.
    If you travel a few hours to your "local" club you are going
    to be spending the day there... so its gonna be more than an hours shooting.
    Dunno how the local Gardai think that a meesly 100 rounds is sufficient for
    even a full days shooting at the range. Youd swear we were
    firing some sort of anti-tank kinda ammo. It may be different for the folks
    that hunt and may use bigger stuff than myself where they generally
    use less ammo than a rim-fire.

~B

• Advertisement

You can buy rounds at the club I would assume, so it would not be that big of an issue?
    I know that some people have a 500 limit and some even have 1000. When I applied for my licence I was told that 500 would be no problem and was entered on the form but when the licence came thru it had 100 on it. I wonder what the criteria is for the number of rounds allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

You have to request the increase in your allowance in writing to your local station. Give reasons as to why you need the increase.

Increase to 500 is fairly standard. Should be no problem. Normal reason is for training purposes: i.e. you use 150 to 200 rounds per training session and you train three times a week, so it's impossible to manage that on a 100 round allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Try shooting IPSC with a 100 round limit:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

Section 11 1964 Firearms Act should be applicable

11 1964 1

Change of firearm to which firearm certificate relates. 11.—(1) Subject to subsection (3) of this section, the Minister may substitute for the description of a firearm in a firearm certificate granted by him the description of another firearm and, upon such substitution, the certificate shall have effect in relation to that other firearm and shall not have effect in relation to the first-mentioned firearm.

(2) Subject to subsection (3) of this section, the Superintendent of any district or any member of the Garda Síochána in any district duly authorised to do so by the Superintendent of that district may substitute for the description of a firearm in a firearm certificate held by a person residing in that district the description of another firearm and, upon such substitution, the certificate shall have effect in relation to that other firearm and shall not have effect in relation to the first-mentioned firearm.

(3) A substitution under this section in a firearm certificate shall not be effected unless the rate of excise duty chargeable in respect of a renewal of the certificate after the substitution does not exceed the rate chargeable immediately before such substitution.

cantona wrote:
    Section 11 1964 Firearms Act should be applicable

Eh? No it doesn't, it is applicable for the substitution of one firearm for another. Nothing to do with ammunition.

In fact there is nothing in law that says how much ammunition you can hold just that you can't hold any more than is specified on your certificate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

Has worked for me in three different districts.

If you go in with a basic knowledge of the Firearms Act(however basic) and quote sections and acts, chances are that you will get what you want.

My own 2cents worth.

cantona wrote:
    Has worked for me in three different districts.

If you go in with a basic knowledge of the Firearms Act(however basic) and quote sections and acts, chances are that you will get what you want.

My own 2cents worth.

Which tells you all you need to know about the Gardai's knowledge of the firearms acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

They arrived today :D

Nothing here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

got mine today too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Got mine plus another letter from the local Sgt stating all guns will have to be presented at the station and no renewal will be taken by post this year (didn't know this was a option !)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

the hunter wrote:
    got mine today too :)
    Me too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Got mine in the post today aswell.
    Im thinking of getting out of shooting, too much hassel with applications ect ect, just stick with me lurchers.
    Anyone wanting to buy them, plus loads of equipment, scopes, mounts ect, just PM me.;)

Keelan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Yep, same here. Both renewal applications arrived today ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Keelan wrote:
    Got mine in the post today aswell.
    Im thinking of getting out of shooting, too much hassel with applications ect ect, just stick with me lurchers.
    Anyone wanting to buy them, plus loads of equipment, scopes, mounts ect, just PM me.;)

Keelan.

Are you serious???

• Advertisement

Terrier wrote:
    Got mine plus another letter from the local Sgt stating all guns will have to be presented at the station and no renewal will be taken by post this year (didn't know this was a option !)
    They can do that from time to time. Just a check you have the actual guns you are licensed to have.

They must have forgotten to send me a notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Got mine today also, no letter asking me to present anything to the station however, they mustn't trust ya Terrier ;):D Usually come to the house here to have a quick look at the serial number.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Mine normally turn up in the Sergents hand and are exchanged for a cuppa and some bickies.:rolleyes: so i'll wait patiently as usual till he comes knocking.:D

Yep mine arrived today too.

As this is my first time needing to renew a licence
    can I goto the station pay and get the new licence
    there and then while I wait ?

Or do I have to goto the station Pay and then wait
    for it to arrive in the post or wait for notice to collect
    a new one?

Also does it have to be the local FO I need to meet
    or can it be any Garda at the station? That will just take
    my money and issue the new cert? Someone mentioned
    they would be printed already.

Will need to take time off work to try and get to the station,
    or will have to wait to go on a Saturday so if the local FO
    is not there dont want to be wasting my time.

Am sure glad I did not get a letter saying I had to present my rifle
    at the station as I dont drive and it would put me in a pretty
    odd situation having to strap it to my back and cycle a few miles
    through a kinda roughish neighbourhood!!!
    (Joking of course I would not do that)

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

bullets wrote:

Yep, that's how it works.
    You can just send in the signed renewal form and fee by post if you want, but I like to turn up in person and check the new certificates against the old in case of 'clerical errors.'

edited to add:
    The new certs will be at the station desk, and whoever is there will handle the transaction at whatever hour of the day or night you decide to go in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I got it in the post yesterday. Went into the station today and asked to renew.
    The guard says, they aren't out yet. I told him I got it in the post yesterday. He says oh right are they?
    And then tells me to come back in a week. :confused:

Rovi wrote:
    Yep, that's how it works.
    You can just send in the signed renewal form and fee by post if you want, but I like to turn up in person and check the new certificates against the old in case of 'clerical errors.'

edited to add:
    The new certs will be at the station desk, and whoever is there will handle the transaction at whatever hour of the day or night you decide to go in.

Sweet! Yeah bit like yourself I would like to turn up in person rather
    than having to wait for the post in order to check if the details are right.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭patrick2007

Lads I recieved mine in the post this morning also and to be honest I'm more than annoyed with Headquarters, the reason for this is both letters came in envelopes which were not sealed!
    As you all know they come in brown envelopes the window in the front and in the top left hand corner it states " If undelivered please return to Garda Headquaters etc" Given that the letters have passed thru many hands to arrive at my door I'm sure someone out of curiosity has had a sneeky peek (I cant prove it obviously but human mature being what it is...)
    I think it is a ridiculous situation that the Garda require some of us to have safes and monitored alarms etc yet they post out renewals in open envelopes!! Only in Ireland could something this backward happen!
    Have any of you recieved your renewals in the same state?
    Does anyone know who I can complain to? I know the local is an obvious but is there a dept in headquarters?

P

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

yes ot mine today, some not sealed and some for guns that i had three years ago, this happens every year, anybody else get that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

bullets wrote:

~B

They won't take cash. Any Cheques or postal orders should be made out to the superintendent of the local area. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Advertisement