Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence renewal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I paid cash for my licence, each district might have their own policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Jonty wrote:
    They won't take cash. Any Cheques or postal orders should be made out to the superintendent of the local area. Please correct me if I'm wrong

I paid cash when I got my first licence in Jan/Feb 07
    The FO was only concerned that I gave him the exact fee
    so he would not have to give me change.

~B

Gardai never seem to have change. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Damn i hate this time of the year :mad: .

Didnt get mine in the post but have it paid anyway.

Just gotta pay insurance and club membership now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

I always drop in in person to renew as the Garda want to see club current club membership card on renewal if you have indicated that you are a member of a gun club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

yes ot mine today, some not sealed and some for guns that i had three years ago, this happens every year, anybody else get that?
    yep i got a renewal in the post for a firearm i dont have it was amended two years ago!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Got mine yesterday, all sealed with a loving kiss :D

Lads I recieved mine in the post this morning also and to be honest I'm more than annoyed with Headquarters, the reason for this is both letters came in envelopes which were not sealed!

Very shoddy.... Worth a mention because you don't know how many people now know you possess firearms.

TJ911...

Mine showed up this morning. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Trojan911 wrote:
    Got mine yesterday, all sealed with a loving kiss :D

Very shoddy.... Worth a mention because you don't know how many people now know you possess firearms.

TJ911...

The fact that they come in envelopes marked 'Garda Headquarters' around the 31st July would be enough IMO.

That's why it's best that you turn up in person to collect your licence, the Gardai will get to know you and make it harder for someone to impersonate you and collect your licence, though what use it would be to them is a bit of a stretch.

rrpc wrote:
    though what use it would be to them is a bit of a stretch.

They now have a free reign to buy ammunition for that particular firearm and sell it on to the unlicenced criminal fraternity....

TJ911...

• Advertisement

Trojan911 wrote:
    They now have a free reign to buy ammunition for that particular firearm and sell it on to the unlicenced criminal fraternity....

TJ911...

For how long?

If one of your renewals didn't turn up, and you then went to your cop shop and found that they'd handed over your licence to some criminal, how long before every gun dealer in the country was looking out for it?

Plus it would take some balls to walk into a cop shop with a renewal that wasn't yours in the hope that the cops wouldn't know the real licence holder.

rrpc wrote:
    For how long? If one of your renewals didn't turn up, and you then went to your cop shop and found that they'd handed over your licence to some criminal, how long before every gun dealer in the country was looking out for it?.

It does not matter how long. Even one visit to a shop to purchase a couple of hundred rounds of whatever calibre would be enough ammunition to keep a crim going.
    rrpc wrote:
    Plus it would take some balls to walk into a cop shop with a renewal that wasn't yours in the hope that the cops wouldn't know the real licence holder.

It would, but that is how some people work. The more balls you show the less likely you will be challenged.

TJ911...

Trojan911 wrote:
    It does not matter how long. Even one visit to a shop to purchase a couple of hundred rounds of whatever calibre would be enough ammunition to keep a crim going.
    Except one visit would only get you 100 rounds based on most licences and would get you nicely on CCTV.
    Trojan911 wrote:
    It would, but that is how some people work. The more balls you show the less likely you will be challenged.
    Make it nice and easy for the cops though, no need to get in the car to make an arrest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Keelan wrote:
    Got mine in the post today aswell.
    Im thinking of getting out of shooting, too much hassel with applications ect ect, just stick with me lurchers.
    Anyone wanting to buy them, plus loads of equipment, scopes, mounts ect, just PM me.;)

Keelan.
    You what??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Keelan wrote:
    Got mine in the post today aswell.
    Im thinking of getting out of shooting, too much hassel with applications ect ect, just stick with me lurchers.
    Anyone wanting to buy them, plus loads of equipment, scopes, mounts ect, just PM me.;)

Keelan.

Don't leave the b@*tards break you down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kiwijbob

Went in yesterday to renew my licence (for the first time), paid my €25,
    I expected to get my licence there and then but was told something
    about them all having to go through the supt, when I asked if it would
    be posted to me he just said something about them all having to go
    through the supt again:confused:

Should go no where near the super again. Normally a Sargent is appointed to do the renewals. The renewals may not be signed yet by the Sargent and they will post yours out when they are signed.

Went to my station today only to find that they
    did not have the licenses yet! Paid the 38 Euros
    and got a receipt though.

Bad form. Wasted my time traveling there. Could
    of rang before hand but Today was the only day I
    could get there.

Further got annoyed when went to the Local fishing/shooting
    store to find they had NO ammo for me even though they
    knew they were out of stock 4-5 weeks ago and knew
    I would be looking for more. Convinced the guys there
    have Zero interest in Shooting and only care about fishing.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Sargent doing renewals in Clifden too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Ive changed my address since last year. Informed my local as soon as. Only got one of my renewl forms sent out to my new address. Guess where I found the other? My old address. Luckly it was my home place not some strangers. Yet again a half ar$ed job done by our protectors :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

chem wrote:
    Ive changed my address since last year. Informed my local as soon as. Only got one of my renewl forms sent out to my new address. Guess where I found the other? My old address. Luckly it was my home place not some strangers. Yet again a half ar$ed job done by our protectors rolleyes.gif

You haven't got two pulse numbers by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kiwijbob

I haven't received my licence yet, handed my payment into
    the local station on the 26th of July but still nothing in the post,
    I'm worried that I'm now in possession of a firearm without a
    current licence.:eek:

it's my first renewal so maybe this is 'normal'?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭GilGrissom

I am in the same boat. I posted my form and money off to the station 26th of July and nothing back in the post yet.

GilGrissom wrote:
    I am in the same boat. I posted my form and money off to the station 26th of July and nothing back in the post yet.

There have been reported delays in sending out licence renewals this year. I believe shortage of staff is partially reponsible.

kiwijbob wrote:
    I'm worried that I'm now in possession of a firearm without a
    current licence.:eek:

it's my first renewal so maybe this is 'normal'?:rolleyes:

Was in a similar situation to yourself. and I expressed
    my concern about not having a valid licence after the expire date.

They told me not to worry bout it and I wouldnt be the first
    person in Limerick to be going round the place with out a licence
    for a gun. (Had to Laugh at that one)

it took me 4 trips to the station
    before I walked out with the bit of paper, and I need to go back again
    to get it amended.

In fairness I have not had any trouble so far getting what I wanted
    just needed to write letters to say what I wanted rather than saying
    something verbally. got my moderator permission without any hassles other than a wait, and the Garda I was dealing with has always been friendly.

~B

The problem is if you are dealing with sub stations it is very hard to find a garda there to transact business with. You are not allowed to deal with the district HQ. The people making the decisions are 20 miles away and do not know you from adam. Sub stations should have set opening times at this time of year to deal with licence renewals.

GilGrissom wrote:
    The problem is if you are dealing with sub stations it is very hard to find a garda there to transact business with. You are not allowed to deal with the district HQ. The people making the decisions are 20 miles away and do not know you from adam. Sub stations should have set opening times at this time of year to deal with licence renewals.

If it's just a renewal, you could always drop the lot into their letterbox and ask them to phone you when it's ready. Alternatively you can phone the district office and ask them to let you know when someone is going to be in the sub office. They usually get on the radio to the Gardai concerned and will tell you there and then when the station will be manned again.

I was away over the end of July so I simply stuck the renewal form and a money order in an envelope and posted it to the local sub station.

I take it that no one will supply ammunition until I has the new licence?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Thats mad my station (which isn't 24h and is a small substation) had everything ready to roll when I went in the door. They had a file there with the licences all grouped together by name. They pulled them out worked out the total I owed and did all the signing. In and out in 10mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Still dont have my renewel-paid 3 weeks ago - FO is new and she doesnot seem to reply to messages I have left.

Advertisement