Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading a Dell

Options
  • 22-07-2007 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Well basically I bought a dell dimension 8400 about 3 years ago and I was wondering if anybody here knew which type of processor do I need to upgrade it....like is it an Intel socket 775 or an Intel socket 479 and also would this graphics card be compatible with my computer:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=326956

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

well it is PCI-E compatiable I dont think it would have any problems.. someone might be able to make this more clear.. I just did a quick google search

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Not a hope upgrading the processor to a intel core duo in a 3year old dell wouldnt have the right chipset your best hope is upgrading the graphics card depending on wattage of your psu, and ram thats about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Devil5434

Not a hope upgrading the processor to a intel core duo in a 3year old dell wouldnt have the right chipset your best hope is upgrading the graphics card depending on wattage of your psu, and ram thats about

Well yeah ok but could I buy a new motherboard and then use the new processors?, and if so then what motherboard would be compatible with this, if ya know...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

You will probably run into the same problem I did when I went to upgrade my XPS. Dell use proprietry Motherboards so an ATX board will likely not fit in the case. I had to buy a new case, PSU and motherboard just to upgrade the CPU.

Advertisement