Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

good first car?

• 22-07-2007 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

im looking at getting my first car by the end of the summer,and at the moment the VW POLO is wat sticks out to me,however im lookin at gettin a decent car,i heard micras are really good any other models ppl cud recommend? `(1l second hand cars by the way,around 2grand!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,467 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Micras are more reliable than Polos, and are usually better equipped, they're also more powerful, but less desirable.
    If you like the Polo, try the Ibiza too. similar but bigger and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭quigo

Just bought a Punto for my first car :D they are by most accounts great first cars. The insurance is higher than 1.0L cars tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

noddy2.gif

:D

On a serious note, go with the Polo there's nothing wrong with them.
    Did you do a search on carzone for the engine size and price range
    you looking for? And plug the details into 123.ie or insure.ie to see
    how the insurance prices up.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

in the same shoes as the op, thinking of a corsa though, Ive heard the polos are basic enough(no offense I like them myself:) ), and most people seem to recomend the 1.25 fiesta but Ive heard not a lot about the corsa, so anybodies opinion with experience of a corsa is welcome, cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

what is the car for ? learning, driving to work - what sort of cummute ?, social

have you price insurance / tax as they could eat in to the 2K easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

colm_mcm wrote:
    If you like the Polo, try the Ibiza too. similar but bigger and cheaper.

VERY fond of the polo myself, but bought an ibiza for my first car last week. :D

outsideiv8.jpg

Happy as a pig in shít

car1qc7.jpg

I see your next door neighbour has one as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

scruff321 wrote:
    im looking at getting my first car by the end of the summer,and at the moment the VW POLO is wat sticks out to me,however im lookin at gettin a decent car,i heard micras are really good any other models ppl cud recommend? `(1l second hand cars by the way,around 2grand!)

There's any amount of renault clio's out there as cheep as chips. 98'-00' ranging from 2.3k to 4k. I bought a 99' 1.2L for 2.8k ->

729339_20070627090642_2.jpg

Happy with it although the milage is 80k. Can't fault it otherwise. Tidy little car. NCT'ed until March 2009. Insurance is 1k (TPFT) and Motor Tax 252eur.

Clios aren't bad. they'll offer more equipment and safety than most others in this price range. no 1.0 engine though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

that ibiza is a nice car,how much did that set u back?wats the mileage and wat are they goin for in general? are they good and reliable?
    i wudnt recommend the corsa my mate had one and it was a lovely looking car but was a bit of a dirtbox..that clio aint bad either but the mileage is a bit high,yes the micras are supposed to b great but im only 20 and want sumthin wit a nicer shape then a granny car :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

If you're looking for reliabilty, you cant beat the japanese, so I would advise going with the micra or a toyota starlet. Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

scruff321 wrote:
    that ibiza is a nice car,how much did that set u back?wats the mileage and wat are they goin for in general? are they good and reliable?

In terms of reliabilty, SEAT were bought by VW in 1990, so most of the parts are vw/audi (polo engine I think, golf gear box) Not the best man to ask about that kinda stuff though.

Mate had it for three years and never a problem, Prolly the best thing I ever bought! (next to my 5.1 refurb I got on ebay 3 years ago for €100) :p

Ibiza was €2,700, 53,000 miles on the clock, it's an 01, NCT 2009, Mate traded it in against a corolla 4 weeks ago for €4,000 :D

Oh, and insurance is €1,700 with Quinn, which is OK, considering it's my first car, I'm 19 and on provisional.
    colm_mcm wrote:
    I see your next door neighbour has one as well!

yeah, prick has a Mk4, 07 to, nice and black!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Yeah, an Ibiza is essentially a close relative of the Polo, but will be probably be slightly better specced for the same money. I'd say the 1.25 Fiesta or the Polo/Ibiza myself, and would avoid older Puntos... Have been proven right about the head gasgets and other issues too many times to be comfortable. Nothing wrong with the Corsas, Micras and Starlets - just not for me ;) Micras are nice and reliable, and fairly cheap for what you get. I've never really been happy with any Corsa I've seen, and the 1.0 litre 12 Valve Corsas are to be avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ptashka

quigo wrote:
    Just bought a Punto for my first car :D they are by most accounts great first cars. The insurance is higher than 1.0L cars tho.

no offence, but puntos are crap!!!

drove 1 for about a year, Fix It Again Tomorrow is definitely true. Head gasket went, oil leaked, brakes real sh***. Crap steering, careful at the roundabouts! Also feels like you are sitting in a cardboard box when you get up to any sort of decent speed. Basically, i would refer to them as very unsafe. Mind ya, wouldn't know what the newer puntos are like (2002 onwards)

Dad, on the other hand drives a 1990 starlet. she would give any of the newer 1 L cars a run for its money!

Advertisement