Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf surging

Options
  • 22-07-2007 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a 98 VW Golf 1.6 with 75,000 mls. on the clock. Timing belt recently replaced. Lately while at lights the car has been surging with the revs going from 750 to 1100 and back down again. It occasionally cuts out.

Is this related to carbon build-up in the carburetor as I have heard?

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

This happened on my old Golf. Sounds like the Mass Air Flow Meter (MAF). You may be able to fix it yourself by cleaning it out. Google is probably your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd start by cleaning the throttle body. Dirt build-up on the throttle body is the most common cause of the symptoms you describe on a 1998 Golf. If that doesn't work then I'd suspect the MAF but a faulty MAF will usually have bad power progression symptoms.

BTW, there is no carburettor on a 1998 Golf............but the throttle body is probably the closest thing there is to a carb.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Groucho10

Thanks for that lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭kim_eire

That happened mine, the revs went mad and the lights on the dash were fading, it was the altonator and the fan belt! If you have the same problem, i was advised not to drive it and had to get it sorted straight away. I have a 1.9 VW

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

is it petrol or diesal?

it could be a problem with the fuel air intake mix

is there air getting in when the heater plugs warm up?

this can be checked by taking out hte heater plug and checking the compression

• Advertisement

it's petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Check the airfilter is clean aswell.

Neilw wrote:
    Check the airfilter is clean aswell.

Unlikely. But to be sure you could remove the air filter and drive it for a while to see if there is any difference. The air filter would want to be well gummed up to cause the symptoms you mention.

My money is still on a dirty throttle body. I've seen thousands of VWs with these symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

crosstownk wrote:
    I've seen thousands of VWs with these symptoms.

Bloody hell! You must indeed manage some large fleets :)

Air filter is ok. Fan belt seems fine,I will get the throttle body cleaned.

Thanks for all your help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Had it happen my mondeo. It was the induction pack... might be worth checking out?

unkel wrote:
    Bloody hell! You must indeed manage some large fleets :)

Definitely in the thousands - but in nearly 15 years of exposure to VW/Audi products :eek:. Some of it is not pretty ;)

Advertisement