Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andorra - risky?

Options
  • 22-07-2007 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

So, I'm a little late getting this winter's holiday off the ground. Mostly because I went on a summer holiday for the first time in 3 years and I'm feeling the pinch financially. So my friends and I decided not to try anything too ambitious and are talking about going back to Andorra.

We were there in 2005 and I loved the place, I'd have no problem going back - however, other friends of mine were there in january of this year and, well, we all know about the lack of snow. Thankfully, we went to Livigno where conditions were near perfect.

I know this year was a bit of a freak, but it does worry me slightly. I'd like to go somewhere really high and more snow-sure, but I think Andorra might be all I can afford. Anyone else going?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Chances are if you go in Jan/Feb you will be fine. As you say yourself, everywhere was terrible most of last winter. Personally I prefer not to go to the same place twice, and if I were you I might look at Livigno. It is similiar priced in food/drink prices to Andorra, attracts a large number of first and second timers, and there are usually very good snow conditions there. I was there on my sxecond ski trip a few years back and it was a very lively resort with a decent range of runs for the 2nd timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

5starpool wrote:
    Personally I prefer not to go to the same place twice
    I'm the same! Which is why I'd rather go somewhere new, but Andorra is so damn accessible.
    if I were you I might look at Livigno.
    I did :)
    Thankfully, we went to Livigno where conditions were near perfect.

Livigno is lovely alright. Any other tax-free resorts around the place??

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Hmmm, maybe I should read posts more carefully, d'oh!!!

I don't know of any other tax free resorts aside from Livigno and Andorra, but if you are considering branching out then Austria is cheaper in resort than France in my experience, and Austria has short transfer times which are great as well. I am considering some different Austrian resorts for next years trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I was in Andorra Feb and Livigno March last year, both were fine even though the snow fall was abmissal

The snow was bad in Andorra the worst Ive ever seen it in 5 years going but thier were still plenty of runs open and loads to do

It wouldn't bother me at all to be very honest. Book away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

We went to Andorra 2 years in a row to Pal-Arinsal, I think it was 2003/2004. The place was cheap and the slopes were perfect, the second year it was slightly more icy but not bad. If you're approaching advanced in terms of your skills, then I wouldn't recommend it, the slopes are quite soft pretty much all over, though Pal does have a few nice difficult slopes.

In 2005 a mate went there with his family and afaik the snow was great. Thats about as much as I know though about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Hmmm thanks guys. I have my own gear and won't be getting lessons (for the first time, looking forward to a bit more freedom) so that will take a bit of pressure off me financially.

I'm going to look into Lillehammer one more time, and if the prices are steep we probably will go back to Andorra. There will probably be some first-timers in the group, so it's probably better for them. Plus, I don't mind that it's more beginner-friendly, because the adventures you can go on between resorts is fantastic (we were in Pas de la Cas and we trekked over to Soldeu, it was a brilliant experience).

Advertisement