Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Securing Willow screen

Options
  • 22-07-2007 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

can anyone tell me what is the best way to secure a willow screen to battens that are secured to a concrete wall?

The willows are about 8-10mm average thickness each and the screen is 1.5m high and up to 4m long

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭chabsey

Lex Luthor wrote:
    can anyone tell me what is the best way to secure a willow screen to battens that are secured to a concrete wall?

The willows are about 8-10mm average thickness each and the screen is 1.5m high and up to 4m long

If you mean one of those willow screens that comprise of willow sticks woven through a wooden frame then you'll have to most likely attach the wall batons to concide with where the willow frame uprights are placed. Then you drill a hole through the frame where you want to screw it in, and do this two or three times per upright for a good tight hold.

If, on the otherhand you're talking about those willow screen that rolls out, then that's a different thing. You should probably use those U shaped metal nails and just tack it up a good few times wherever there's a baton behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

chabsey wrote:
    If, on the otherhand you're talking about those willow screen that rolls out, then that's a different thing. You should probably use those U shaped metal nails and just tack it up a good few times wherever there's a baton behind it.
    ya its one of those....

Vertical willow sticks with metal wire running horizontal about 10cm apart from top to bottom.

Was thinking about securing it through the wire....can you hire a pneumatic gun to take these u nails? would make the job a lot quicker as I have a good bit to put up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭chabsey

Lex Luthor wrote:
    ya its one of those....

Vertical willow sticks with metal wire running horizontal about 10cm apart from top to bottom.

Was thinking about securing it through the wire....can you hire a pneumatic gun to take these u nails? would make the job a lot quicker as I have a good bit to put up

Well I did it by hand, didn't take that long cause you can hammer in those U nails really quickly, I don't know if a nail gun can take them though. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

probably want a staple gun for that....the sort of u nails you use for wiring etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

GreeBo wrote:
    probably want a staple gun for that....the sort of u nails you use for wiring etc...
    I have one of them but the largest u nail it will take is 11mm which I don't think is long enough to get enough nail into the batten to hold it securely

• Advertisement
Advertisement