Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about selling a website

Options
  • 22-07-2007 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

Hi, Sorry if this is not the right place i didnt know where else to put it

I have a small football site/forums www.letstalkfootball.com

I cant look after it anymore and was looking to sell it.

It's nothing major so i'm not going to pay a company mega money to sell it for me,

Does anyone know how i could sell it on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

how many members you got ?

the site its self is worth nothing as anyone can set up a forum site.
    design is very basic so adds nothing
    domain name..hmm not bad - someone may be willing to pay a few pound for that
    i suppose all hinges on the size of your active member db - if you have only a few then i would say its worthless (relatively speaking)

tnx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You could post it here:
    http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com/websites-sale/

There are a couple of other sites that do auctions, such as Sitepoint ...

A lot will depend on what you hope to get from it in terms of cash and what you are selling (ie. domain, vbulletin license etc)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

how many members you got ?

the site its self is worth nothing as anyone can set up a forum site.
    design is very basic so adds nothing
    domain name..hmm not bad - someone may be willing to pay a few pound for that
    i suppose all hinges on the size of your active member db - if you have only a few then i would say its worthless (relatively speaking)

tnx
    His 2000-odd members might be worth something if there weren't less posts than members :/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Would any of your existing members be interested in taking it off your hands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

NeVeR wrote:
    I have a small football site/forums www.letstalkfootball.com

I cant look after it anymore and was looking to sell it.
    As has been mentioned you've got very little activity there, with fewer than 1,000 threads and an average of 2.85 posts per thread - not making for serious community involvement. The domain has a certain value, but this is limited. The actual site (which is just a slightly modified version of vBulletin) is worthless in terms of sellability. In short, you have something there, but it's not a Hell of a lot.
    It's nothing major so i'm not going to pay a company mega money to sell it for me,
    If it's nothing major a professional company wouldn't be interested in selling it for you as commission would be a major part of their renumeration, so your point is moot.
    Does anyone know how i could sell it on?
    First thing you need to do is collect some user metrics - page impressions, unique visitors, posts per member, day/week/month and any demographic info you can glean from their subscriptions.

You might try existing football fan sites, in particular those without an existing noticeboard facility, as they may be interested in absorbing your users and/or kick starting their own noticeboard with them.

I genuinely would not expect to get more than a few hundred Euro at most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

thanks for the info I'll check out that site.

Advertisement