Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Dirt Jumping Bike

Options
  • 22-07-2007 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Fancied gettin a bmx (haven't had one for 6 years) but need to get around town quite a bit, i remember my back would be wrecked after any distance on the bmx.

I'm considering going for a dirtjumping type hybrid bmx/mtb hardtail type thingy, not too sure what i'm talkin about.

Can anyone recommend something around the 500 euro range?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

There are lots of bikes in MBUK.
    I have this one (import from my homeland, the Czech Republic). The fork is sh*t, but what could you expect for 50 Euro fork? :-)
    There is a picture taken by my friend http://www.flickr.com/photos/fajitasgtr/493683114/in/set-72157600204433004/
    Yeah, the whole price was 450 Euros. What a bargain! And the name - COCAINE :D

If you want to ride it a little more, I could recommend you something more versatile than dirt jumping bike. Norco Sasquatch, thats the bike which could survive almost everything. Lots of fun, some riding and a lot of abuse. Just my frined's experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Ronan3345

Thanks, Sasquatch looks perfect,
    Giant stp2 might be more my pricerange tho'. D'ya think its a decent bike?

Do u know any good spots to ride in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I've been riding BMX for the last 7-8 years, so if you're looking for a BMX then check out www.theboardroom.ie . It's based in Kilcoole/Greystones and sells good quality bikes (from rider owned companies rather than big bike brands that mass produce generic bikes/frames/components). It'scheaper than getting quality stuff from the UK. I've got my last frame/bars/sprocket/pedals from the Boardroom and have no complaints. I think most of the kids in Bushy Park riding bikes got them there too.

Streetriding in Dublin has gone downhill a little in the last few years. With skating becoming more popular some of the regular old spots have become shut down. There are still a good few spots but it means a bit of cycling/driving between them. Then again street is what you can make of it!
    There are a good few skateparks around the city too, so going the route of BMX would easily allow you to start riding the parks.

Pete.

chainreactioncycles.com is my favourite shop, because I'm passing their premisses regulary - i.e. free transport :-)

Sasquatch has the same frame as BigFoot, but it has better fork. It is higher model. And you can use it as a bike. My bike is smaller so it is not nice to peddal when I am sitting.

I've been to Bushy skatepark and it was nice. There are some nice pavements and spots in Tallaght industrial estate (behind the Aldi in direction to hospital). I am there very often just to practice ballance and learning to jump properly. I mean to jump upwards :-)

Three Rock Hill is fantastic spot. There are lots of tracks, jumps and roots. Wonderful place in the country and woods and there are only bikers there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

ThOnda wrote:
    chainreactioncycles.com is my favourite shop, because I'm passing their premisses regulary - i.e. free transport :-)
    I thought they are in the UK :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

It's a controversial issue... (They're in Antrim!)
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    I thought they are in the UK :confused:

County Antrim. They are in Doagh, close to Ballyclare. It's easy to find them there.
    Their prices are very good.

And there is always e-bay.co.uk ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Having BMX'ed in my younger days (probably about 6 years now too!), I would recommend a bike that's light, rigid, slightly short, low top tube, big tyres. Go for chromo or titanium instead of Aluminium - alu will fail suddenly through repeated stress, whereas chromo will bend first. Suspension won't thank you for odd landings, and you won't thank it - forks can flex something horrific.

I've always liked the look of Kona DH and Dirt Jumpers;
    http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/COWAN/index.html

Not the best climbers, and probably not great for long-distance, but much better than a BMX :)

I'd prefere Stuff. It has the same frame, but it is more universal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

I remember reading somewhere that the specialized P forks arent up to much though i could be wrong. i'd go for a kona stuff too butits a bit pricey, most hardtails aren't recommened for long distance cycling anyway cause they're pretty much like a bmx with suspension. My mate has a GT chucker which has seemed ok, the brakes arent hydraulic though. Ive a cannondale chase, its great for jumps but not too good for cycling on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

BMX not for long distance......city centre to Greystones/Kilcoole to rider trails and back all in the one day!
    That was back in the day before anyone could drive though, and before we devised a 100% foolproof way to get our bikes onto the Dart.
    That cycle was neccesity rather than choice. we may not have been the fastest moving things on the dual carriageway but it certainly was fun!

Advertisement