Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Internationals

• 22-07-2007 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I've come accross a couple of international shirts worn for and against Ireland in the 70's/80's. I'm trying to find out via the numbers on the back of the jerseys who they belonged too. I have a fair idea but would like confirmation and can't find any info on the web. Anybody got any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

You can get the lineups here:
    http://www.soccerscene.ie/sssenior/

Post up the details and we'll try and help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭William Gates

eirebhoy wrote:
    You can get the lineups here:
    http://www.soccerscene.ie/sssenior/

Post up the details and we'll try and help you.

Cheers mate, good site. I think that I have it narrowed down to the following games:

Ireland v. Germany (06.09.1989 Friendly) 1-1

Ireland v. France (30.03.1977 WC Qualifier) 1-0
    Ireland v. France (14.10.1981 WC Qualifier) 3-2

Ireland v. Argentina (16.05.1980 Friendly) 0-1

Shirt Details:

Argentina Home, No. 13, Adidas - not a clue who this belonged to.

Germany Home, No. 16, Erima (size Medium) - I think may have belonged to Pierre Littbarski.

France Away, No. 10, Adidas - I think (hope!) that this may have been Platini's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Argentina Home, No. 13, Adidas - not a clue who this belonged to.
    Would it not be Calderon's? He was the only sub to come on and back then I doubt they gave the number 13 to a starter.

Same goes for the Germany no.16. Why would the number 16 be given to a starter? If it was something like the world cup obviously the players keep their numbers but for friendlies I would have presumed it was 1-11 for the starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭William Gates

eirebhoy wrote:
    Would it not be Calderon's? He was the only sub to come on and back then I doubt they gave the number 13 to a starter.

Same goes for the Germany no.16. Why would the number 16 be given to a starter? If it was something like the world cup obviously the players keep their numbers but for friendlies I would have presumed it was 1-11 for the starters.

You could well be right, that's what I'm trying to find out. Basially the story goes that my Dad used to know David O'Leary's dad who knew that my dad was into his football so gave him a few of David's swapped jerseys over the years. We are talking about 20 years ago but those were the two names that my old man had in his head. I could have the games wrong as well, the Argentina one for example, I don't think that O'Leary even played in that one so i'm not sure how he got his hands on that one.

He also has an Irish away one from that era that he can't find at the moment but is trying to dig out for me. I wonder would the FAI have the info on file if I contacted them, would they waste their time replying though?

Advertisement