Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crisps

• 22-07-2007 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

Ok I have to say I have been a Tayto lover all my life. But for the last few years I have noticed that Tayto have increased their prices and lowered the amount of crisps and flavour in every packet. Now when I open my packet of Tayto, it no longer feels full of crisps, just AIR. And all the crisps have been squished and stay in 1 corner of the bag. The flavour is no longer the same and I just don’t get the same satisfaction from Tayto anymore. They have huge packets that hold the minimum amount of crisps. Used to be you bought a packet of crisps and you enjoyed them. But now I find you buy a big packet of Tayto and all you do is lick your fingers and stick them in the corner of the bag trying to get some flavour out. What a bummer Tayto!:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

history repeats itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Yeah I've noticed that also, i used to love their Salt and Vinegar crisps but now the taste is so week in them they are more like plain crisps. Much rather King.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moved from AH.

Regarding the size, maybe you're buying the ones from the 6packs that some supermarkets sell loosely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

King crisps ftw, tayto never tasted as nice and usually have a lot of burned crisps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Ermm not sure what ftw = tbh or AH.. (Old guy here ok :)) I never buy 6 packs for that same reason you said. And yes King Crisps (singles) Have that flsvour I used to love from Tayto. And yes I did notice a LOT of Burned crisps in Tayto lately. But what kills me most is the AMOUNT of Crisps Tayto actually put in their packets at the moment. Are they for real or what? LOL!

OHP

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,322 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

FTW - for the win, i.e something that the poster approves of
    TBH - to be honest
    AH - the After Hours forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ftw = for the win.

tayto used to be real nice until they changed them about 3-4 years ago.

hate to say it but i'm either a walkers or hunky dorys guy now. or them king luxury crisps that you get in country pubs, now they are tasty.

Thanks lads. I know I should have asked my kids. But that would make me REALLY R E A L L Y Old LOL! :D

Cremo you seem to on the same line as me. This last 3 or 4 years Tayto have changed and just gotten worse and worse. And your right!! I am such a junky on Tayto and Loyal to the last... But Damn it!! Tayto seem to have been taken over by... well you fill it in. But they aint the same Tayto. We used to get Quality and quantity and now all we get is crap!..... Sorry but that is it. :(

OHP

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum lads.... :(

OHP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Terry wrote:
    Regarding the size, maybe you're buying the ones from the 6packs that some supermarkets sell loosely.

A lot of packs in 6 packs say "not to be sold individually" on them. I imagine the portion/weight control process is lower on 6 pack crisps. It means a machine can probably run faster filling them with very rough amounts, then they weigh up 6 packs to get the right amount. i.e. in a 6 pack for every half full bag there should be one with the missing half as extra. I have often got bags totally jammed with crisps, but you remember the empty ones more.

Many changed from the old oz/28g bags down to 25g, instead of going up to 30g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Without doubt Hunky Dory crisps are the tastiest, packed with flavour, with just the right crunchy texture. This is not just my opinion, it's scientifically proved objective fact, of course! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Hunky Dory's does it for me. Tayto are just burnt chipping of spuds, horrible things, never liked em myself ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

tayto are a shadow of their former selves. At least the'ye not as horrible as walkers!
    Hunky dory's ftw also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Another Hunky D's fan in the house.

Ok I have to admit that my most favourite snack is a Cheese and Tayto Sandwich + a Cup of Bovril. But I have tried almost all the crisps in my Cheese Sarnie and well. I think I have gone off Crisps now. Hunky are really nice but just not the same. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lola_run

Crisps are not the best of snacks. (Unsalted) nuts are much healthier.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Lola_run, this isn't the place for giving people health tips. This forum is for people who love all types of snacks, from healthy to those the provide instant coronaries. Please refrain from giving unsolicited advice about how to be healthier. There's no judgements in here for what people eat.

Lola tbh Faith is actually right. Us people that eat Crisps are DOOMED! But we will go down Happy! LOL! :D:D

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MemEmee

Rick O'Shea on RTE 2fm is running a compeition for people to make a Tayto sandwich and put it up on YouTube...

info on his blog...

http://ricksbreakfastblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/how-to-make-tayto-sandwich.html

http://ricksbreakfastblog.blogspot.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 -avey-

Hmm cant beat Hunky Dorys, either S&V or C&O, havent had tayto in a long time..used 2 b a fan of d northern ones with d yellow packet :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

-avey- wrote:
    Hmm cant beat Hunky Dorys, either S&V or C&O, havent had tayto in a long time..used 2 b a fan of d northern ones with d yellow packet :p

Agreed Hunky's are the best but I beg to differ on the flavour. Salt and Vinegar used to be the best, until they brought out Buffalo flavour, mmmmm...completely addictive! :p

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hunky's Worcester Sauce were lovely! Alas, they've been discontinued, around the time a lot of nice foods had some dodgy additive or flavouring.

For now, Hunky's Buffalo are lovely, and can't beat a packet of King C&O.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

Mega Meanies there're my new favourite, not bad in a sandwich either.

Tayto have gone to hell recently, especially the multi- packets almost inedible:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Aldi have nice Bacon Bites. They are like rancheros but with more bacon and monosodium glutimate on them. Yum.
    I love bananna and bacon bites/rancheros sandwiches . You have to eat them quckly though as the moisture from the bananna makes the rancheros go soft if you dont munch quickly.

McCoy's flame grilled steak crisps are hard to beat. Does anybody here still make the old crisp sandwich?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Treble Crunch are good. Are Ghosties still around? They were a tasty snack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

cazzy wrote:
    Aldi have nice Bacon Bites. They are like rancheros but with more bacon and monosodium glutimate on them. Yum.
    I love bananna and bacon bites/rancheros sandwiches . You have to eat them quckly though as the moisture from the bananna makes the rancheros go soft if you dont munch quickly.

"bananna and bacon bites/rancheros sandwiches"

Now that sound's tasty,i know what am having for breakfast in the morning now:) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Okay, first things first. Hunky Dory crisps and Tayto crisps are owned by the same company.

Secondly you can't compare the two. Hunky Dory are in the same market as McCoy crisps, a thicker, crinkled crisp. They are not in the same market niche as Walkers, Kings and Tayto.

Thirdly, I agree, Tayto have declined over the years but they are still far tastier than Walkers imo (imo = in my opinion).

It's funny but I always thought that King crisps had a burnt flavour compared with Tayto...but I formed that opinion bak in the days when a pack of Tayto cost 5p so things probably changed but I was a diehard Tayto fanboy at that stage :)

• Advertisement

McCoy's chargrilled steak flavour. Great.

Advertisement