Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Clubs that take on new adult members

• 22-07-2007 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a GAA club around Waterford that would let me train/play with their lowest standard Gaelic team? I've never played for a club before but as a primary teacher I'd like to have a decent knowledge of the game.

A friend of mine told me to look for a club that has a junior B or C team.. something where the players can only run for 10 minutes and they spread that 10 mins running over the duration of the match. That way I'll look like I know what I'm at!

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I'd imagine you will get the urine forcefully extracted big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'd imagine you will get the urine forcefully extracted big time.

Im 26 and want to start playing Gaelic.. Im well prepared to be gawked at.. I just want to be able to look like I know what Im at when Im coaching the fearsome under 10's.

Anyone have any info on clubs that take newbies then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'll ask one of the lads in work for you and let you know. He plays for Gaultier but he'd have a good idea of the clubs around the place.

kensutz wrote:
    I'll ask one of the lads in work for you and let you know. He plays for Gaultier but he'd have a good idea of the clubs around the place.

Great stuff. Thanks a lot.. Im physically fit enough so hopefully I could play at a fairly low level and not be too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

Trotter wrote:
    Does anyone know of a GAA club around Waterford that would let me train/play with their lowest standard Gaelic team? I've never played for a club before but as a primary teacher I'd like to have a decent knowledge of the game.

A friend of mine told me to look for a club that has a junior B or C team.. something where the players can only run for 10 minutes and they spread that 10 mins running over the duration of the match. That way I'll look like I know what I'm at!

Any help appreciated.

first where do you live, waterford City dungarvan, lismore, tramore, dunmore east etc,with this informaton you can be pointed in the direction of your nearest GAA club.

second it is only a game, of enjoyment, and fun so why would you care how you look??

• Advertisement

first where do you live, waterford City dungarvan, lismore, tramore, dunmore east etc,with this informaton you can be pointed in the direction of your nearest GAA club.

second it is only a game, of enjoyment, and fun so why would you care how you look??

Im on the Dunmore Road.. and I dont care how I look but I know that Im not going to walk into training with a senior team so to cause minimum hassle I'd like to give it a shot with a lower end team. Its purely for the exercise and knowledge of the game that I want to give it a shot. Some people might not like the idea of an adult who knows little about the game turning up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

I don't think location should come into the equation. If you're determined to play you'll go anywhere, just like me playing cricket. I go to Lismore twice a week maybe 3 times depending on matches to train and play because I enjoy it and the 45mins to 1 hour trip isn't too bad.

kensutz wrote:
    I don't think location should come into the equation. If you're determined to play you'll go anywhere, just like me playing cricket. I go to Lismore twice a week maybe 3 times depending on matches to train and play because I enjoy it and the 45mins to 1 hour trip isn't too bad.

Exactly.. I've no problem travelling to a club that hasnt got anything against adult newbies. I suspect that might be hard to find though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

BEWARE

Junior B hurling and football is lethal.

/BEWARE

Mossy Monk wrote:
    BEWARE

Junior B hurling and football is lethal.

/BEWARE

What would you suggest so Mossy? GAA coaching course or something like that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

Trotter wrote:
    Im on the Dunmore Road.. and I dont care how I look but I know that Im not going to walk into training with a senior team so to cause minimum hassle I'd like to give it a shot with a lower end team. Its purely for the exercise and knowledge of the game that I want to give it a shot. Some people might not like the idea of an adult who knows little about the game turning up!

For convenience only!! the nearest club is ballygunner, or Passage,Gailtier,and mossy is right junior hurling is lethal.

Now there also De La Salle, Mount Sion, Roanmore, all on our side of the town that is st pauls parish (Waterford shopping center.)

Advertisement