Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia 6111 on O2 (Toronto, Canada)

• 23-07-2007 12:04am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

A friend of mine is going over for a week to Toronto Canada and would prefer not to leave her phone behind. She is currently on O2 who claim its not possible to use her phone on any network (even if you bought a sim card over there) while in Toronto. Is this normal?

What are her options?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Sully wrote:
    Hey,

A friend of mine is going over for a week to Toronto Canada and would prefer not to leave her phone behind. She is currently on O2 who claim its not possible to use her phone on any network (even if you bought a sim card over there) while in Toronto. Is this normal?

What are her options?

Cheers.
    if she's on pre pay she won't be able to roam but she should be able to put a canadian sim card in it no problem. according to this page:

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_ca.shtml

all the networks operate 1900 MHz masts which the 6111 can use. but when my gf went to america, she had to spend $100 to get a cingular sim card. i'd assume its the same in canada so its not really worth it for a week.

i don't know for sure that the sim cards cost $100 dollars in canada so there's no harm bringing the phone and trying

and make sure the phone is unlocked first by putting a vodafone or meteor sim card in it. if it says "phone restricted" when you turn it on its locked so post back up here for the unlocking code

edit: also, if she's on bill pay she'll have no problem using her phone with her o2 sim card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭lushballs

I am visiting Toronto right now and I have a Nokia 6234 Prepay. I have not been able to send Text messages because i am prepay and phone is locked. Bought a Rogers sim card for $25. I have been going to phone shops to get it unlocked but to no avail. How do i unlock phone? Do I have to ring Vodafone to unlock it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nah you can reply here with you IMEI number. Either by;

1) Removing the battery, and you will see the serial number undernath,
    2) *#06# on your mobile will produce the serial number.

Post your serial number, phone model and make here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=304061 :) O2 can do it also, depending on how much you have spent since going with them.

Also, Rogers should unlock it for you - a friend who lives there said they do.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Commander Vimes; Just so you know - I asked a friend who lives there. Sims shouldnt cost more then $50USD -- and as you can see, one person got one for $25 of Rogers (who apparently are very good).

Advertisement