Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I drive on the continent?

Options
  • 23-07-2007 4:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

I'm waiting on my full license to arrive in the post. I'm going off travelling in a few weeks. Seeing as though my license will only be a few weeks old, will this still be ok for driving on the continent?

And while I'm here, what should I know regarding insurance etc if I was to buy a car while abroad?

All help appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Check with your insurance to be safe, but usually most policies will let you drive abroad for a limited time. Your insurer will tell you exactly what the time limit is and what other restrictions are imposed. Don't forget to tell your insurer you have a full licence too! I don't see why a new licence will cause any trouble, unless you're renting a car etc.

As for buying a car, again check with your insurer. Not sure how that'll work, but most will allow you to transfer your insurance to a foreign car based on the chassis number of it, provided you're going to re-register it over here...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I know some car rental companies insist that in order for you to rent a car from them you must have held a full driving license for at leats 12 months. Not sure if it's the case for all rental companies though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah rental companies probably won't talk to you but if you're bringing your own car you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Thanks for the replies,
    I should have been clearer in my OP sorry. I intend on going travelling for quite a while and seeing as though I have a full license now, possibly buying a car while I'm abroad (a cheap 'ol thing most likely) and driving myself around the place. I dont think I'll be renting a car. I dont have an insurance policy here at the moment - my car was stolen a while back and there wasn't much point in buying a new car since I would be going soon. So if I'm buying a car over there, will I need to set up an insurance policy over there too or how will it work?

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

When I got my car insured in France I had to provide the following, driving licence, passport, proof of previous insurance for no claims bonus, vehicle details, proof of local address. Be aware that in France at least you must give your insurance company a minimum of three months notice in writing, registered post of course, that you intend to lapse the policy at the end of its term or if you wish to go to another insurance company. If you don't, they are legally entitled to renew your policy for another year. I don't know if this is the same in other countries. HTH.

• Advertisement

Dyou know if I can get a policy over there that will cover me for the whole of Europe (and possibly beyond), rather than having to set something up for each country I go to?

Not sure. AFAIK my policy covers me for driving outside France for up to 30 days. I have been told that the cheapest place to buy second hand cars is Holland. I have no idea how true this is but if you search for the local equivalent of Buy & Sell or Car Mart it should give some indication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Hagar, people don't buy cars in Holland. It's all bicycles there.

Although the largest engine I sawe on the road there was a 1.4 litre.

I'm starting off in Holland :)

This Dutch link might be useful.

I'm chasing a 4x4 for myself at the moment. If I get any results I'll let you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hagar wrote:
    I have been told that the cheapest place to buy second hand cars is Holland

Not for RHD cars ;)

Depends on age as well. The Netherlands have a tax called "BPM" which is similar to the Irish VRT. This makes it one of the most expensive countries in the EU for new cars. Older second hand cars (4+ years) get to be increasingly cheap. Anything common over 10 years old is virtually worthless

I thought the OP wanted a cheap LHD car that would last just about long enough for his European Tour. If so an 8 to 10 yr old Dutch car would have suited. Maybe I missed the point.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

TBH I can't see how he, as a non-resident, would be able to get through all the paperwork involved in taxing and insuring a car in the Netherlands without a permanent Dutch address and a bank account. There's no such thing as a tax disc, for example, that you can go to an office somewhere and buy .. everyone pays their car tax directly to the Belastingdienst (=Revenue) by bank giro transfer. You'd also need a Dutch address to do the car ownership transfer to when you bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hagar wrote:
    I thought the OP wanted a cheap LHD car that would last just about long enough for his European Tour. If so an 8 to 10 yr old Dutch car would have suited. Maybe I missed the point.:o

No, no! You were spot on. Older mainstream cars are very cheap in the Netherlands. Not like France e.g. where even old bangers seem to be worth a couple of grand :)

Plenty of eastern Europeans buy cars at auction in the Netherlands and drive them back home

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Hows about getting an EU licence. I found the website before, but you ARE definitely entitled to drive in the EEA with a full Irish driving licence

Advertisement