Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea run to Glasgow - is it worth it?

Options
  • 23-07-2007 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

We're going to be moving into our house soon and, though we have most of the major furniture (beds, sofas and so on), are going to need lots of small things - bathroom accessories, kitchen things, crockery, bedside tables, lamps and what not. We thought of going over to Ikea in Glasgow (on a €40 Ryanair flight) and doing a big shop.

Has anyone done this recently - and is it worth it? What's the quality like? Are the prices better than, say, Argos or Dunnes for what you get? And has anyone had a delivery done - was it ok?

Any opinions appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

You can be sure that charges for extra luggage won't be long ramping up the overall cost. What about getting a ferry? Better still, what about a trip to Ikea in Belfast?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think he meant have it shipped over, by Ikea.

I thought it was only Ikea Edinburgh that delivered here? There was an article about it a few weeks ago in one of the Sunday Times pullout magazines.

Or if you're prepared to wait until November or so you could do as ethernet suggested, Belfast Ikea should be open by then...

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en is their website, and their catalogue is in there somewhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

byte wrote:
    I think he meant have it shipped over, by Ikea.

I thought it was only Ikea Edinburgh that delivered here?

I know Glasgow dodeliver, not sure about any others.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

We moved in to our new house this year and we made one trip to IKEA in Cardiff. I borrowed a large van from a friend and my wife and I and my 18yr old son went over from Galway on a thu. shopped in Ikea fri. and came back Sat. I reckon we saved at least 3 grand. Example we bought three beds, 2 double and one K. size. The 3 matresses cost 750 sterling.(Sultan) A walk in wardrobe fro 250 s. Had a tiler in after fitted and he reckoned he'd seen one for 1800Euro. The instructions that come with them are completely idiot proof as well. The savings are after having deducted travel and expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

What is the quality level of the IKEA stuff, poor, moderate, good, very good ?

baud.

• Advertisement

bauderline wrote:
    What is the quality level of the IKEA stuff, poor, moderate, good, very good ?

baud.
    We kitted out three bedrooms completely and I thought the quality was very good. We have a fitted kitchen which cost us 15gs and I know someone who bought one from IKEA for 3. The difference in quality is minimal, material wise practically the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

I was in Glasgow IKEA on Saturday. Ordered a load of stuff (2 palletes). They said it would be up to 2 weeks but then I got a call yesterday saying it will arrive today so I'm working from home today waiting on the delivery. Delivery cost is £190. I've ordered a 3 door wardrobe, 2 nightstands, a 7 drawer chest, and 3 big shelving systems with storage boxes. Its all made from wood. I've seen their stuff in situ in apartments in Italy, Sweden and Scotland and its the business. Go over for a midweek break, get to IKEA early. Know what you want, eat in the restaurant and have a nice evening out. They are going to p1$h all over the Irish competition when they arrive here!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

They are going to p1$h all over the Irish competition when they arrive here!
    That's if we can get into the place! They aren't allowed open doors till after 10:30/11:00 AFIK!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I saw this thread when it was just posted, I haven't had a chance to reply till now.

My brother and sister in law got stuff from Glasgow. I was roped in to help assemble it.

My opinion. Don't bother. Quality is dire. Cheapo old stuff. Mdf, formica type cheap laminated wood chip. Dreadful. Maybe I'm an idiot, but it's hard to assemble!

Brutal stuff. Pretty soon, everyone's going to have the same old sh!te anyway, I don't get it. I've not been to an Ikea so...that's to be taken into account.

You can get similarly cheap quality stuff already in Woodies, Atlantic Homecare, Homebase or B&Q.

I definitely wouldn't bother meself at all.

I'm sorry to say you must be an idiot. A friend and I assembled the stuff we got from IKEA, we both work in the media so hardly cabinet makers. The only time we got in to trouble was when we didn't follow the instructions. As to quality, it is at least as good as if not better then anything you will get in Ireland, and by the way, most of the stuff you buy is mdf anyway. Even the fitted kitchen we bought in Ire.for 15k had mdf backing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

Got my stuff last night. Put together 3 storage box/chest type things in no time, doing the rest tonight. They were all made of solid birch, no MDF or Ply.
    If you buy crap it will be crap. Look at what it is made from, thats what I did. They describe the materials used in the catalogue. Its not hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I lived on the continent for many years before coming here, and so have amassed some Ikea stuff over the years. I've got some old Ivar pine shelving units and a pine coffee table that were bought in 1980 that are still being used, and my home office furniture bought in 1993 is still going strong and looking as good as new despite being dis-assembled and reassembled 3 times since then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

lived in california for 6 years, have a bunch of ikea stuff. for secondary rooms, bedrooms, it's fine, but i won't buy there again. After a few years the furniture just started to look cheap to us. and things like shelves on runners started to break as the ball bearings fell out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Four years ago I bought three wordrobes, 1 QS bed, an l-shaped sofa bed, a kitchen counter top, a couple of shelves, two dressers and other stuff I can't remember. We have a busy house including two kids that love to jump in beds and slam drawers, but all the stuff still looks great. Would I do it again? You bet!

Advertisement