Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkour Meets?

• 23-07-2007 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi, I'm new to the whole Parkour and free running scene. Does anyone organise meets or set places for anyone interested to show up and do there thing? Surely It'd be a good way of pickin up new styles and tricks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Goat Mouth

yeah, we usually meet up at the Spire at 11:00am on saturdays (this sometimes varies, could be at 12 or 1. (you'd have to check pkire.ie for specifics)

tomorrow is kings of concrete, its a bigg get together with boarders, bmx, breakers, taggers and free runners, behind DCC in the amphitheatre! i'd say check it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Goat Mouth wrote:
    yeah, we usually meet up at the Spire at 11:00am on saturdays (this sometimes varies, could be at 12 or 1. (you'd have to check pkire.ie for specifics)

tomorrow is kings of concrete, its a bigg get together with boarders, bmx, breakers, taggers and free runners, behind DCC in the amphitheatre! i'd say check it out!
    DCC?

Dublin City Council. building.
    the building on the quays with the weird viking sculpture yolk outside...
    that's really all the points i can give about it. i barely know the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TheAppo

Soon i'm moving to Dublin so i hope to see you on one of your meets ;)
    I've trained 1y in Poland ( im Polish - 22y/male) but it was a long time ago ;)

Hope to see you there ;)

cool, keep in touch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Goat Mouth wrote: »
    its a bigg get together with boarders, bmx, breakers, taggers and free runners, behind DCC in the amphitheatre! i'd say check it out!

Tagger's as in graffiti

Gillo wrote: »
    Tagger's as in graffiti

yes

Kinda helps bring the sport into disrepute doesn't it, hanging around with a load of vandals.

Gillo wrote: »
    Kinda helps bring the sport into disrepute doesn't it, hanging around with a load of vandals.

:rolleyes: your ignorance on that issue is pitiable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Goat Mouth wrote: »
    :rolleyes: your ignorance on that issue is pitiable.
    Your ignorance of the boards.ie general charter is similarly pitiable. Tagging is an illegal activity, and isn't going to be tolerated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

he got his terms wrong, thats all. Graff has more place at kings of concrete than parkour does.

I have no beef with what has a place where, but it's illegal, keep it off the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

To the best of my knowledge it's in a specially designated area and they use wooden boards and large canvases. Not walls and public property, at kings of concrete anyway and it's all legal.

its just as legal as parkour at kings of concrete. Fact

How is tagging done legally?

Usually on a legal wall gillo. How is parkour done legally? Typically I've seen loads of free runners deliberately trespassing on property.

That would be the minority wrecking the publics perception of the sport for the majority. Everybody I know that does Parkour/Free Running, including myself, only practises on public property or property that they have permission to practice on (i.e their own property, specially designated areas for promotions etc.). Again, this is probably just a group acting the eejits and leading for all the practicioners of the sport to be tarred with one brush.

Just like Mirror and Gillo tar graff writers with the same brush?

Exactly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

• Advertisement

Right, whats the difference between a graff writer and a tagger? I honestly don't know, not trying to sound argumentative.

Explain to me why one is good and one is bad>

I'm not 100% sure but I'd assume that a tagger is someone who "Tags" walls, bus stops, other public property illegally, whereas a graff writer is someone who does it legally at events, or on large canvases, walls that they have permission to do so on etc therefore making it legal? I could be completely wrong but that's my understanding of it.

Kersmash wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure but I'd assume that a tagger is someone who "Tags" walls, bus stops, other public property illegally, whereas a graff writer is someone who does it legally at events, or on large canvases, walls that they have permission to do so on etc therefore making it legal? I could be completely wrong but that's my understanding of it.
    And I only took issue because tagging was mentioned, not graffing. I don't agree with parkour being practiced illegally i.e. trespassing or otherwise

Simply put, as long as it's legal, the more the merrier :)

Mirror wrote: »
    I don't agree with parkour being practiced illegally i.e. trespassing or otherwise

+1

not alot of tracuers do agree.
    I strictly will not train with anyone who trespasses.

I'd rather do it with a bit of both. Make it a little more exciting yo

yeah but the last thing you need is getting a bd name for it.
    Respect the authority and it will respect you back!

Who cares. Back in the day when I used to skate we had no option but to skate street. Being kicked out of places was a good buzz, or getting some dudes to distract the security guard at the back on baggot street so we could do the rails. Trespass is coooooooool.

It's an attitude like that that gets any sport a bad name, look at football hooliganism in the eighties a small few ruined it for everybody.

awww, sorry if i offended you safety boys.

• Advertisement

more logical reason than 'safety' reasons

Advertisement