Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brake Pads

Options
  • 23-07-2007 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am driving a Renault Megane 2003 and the brake pads are scraping like mad when i brake - i have a service booked in for 10 days time - should i get this looked at in the mean time. I will need to drive 200+miles in the mean time....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Get them changed now. The shoe will scratch the crap out of your brake drum, and it will reduce the life of any pads you put on in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Duiske_Lad wrote:
    Get them changed now.

Yep - get them replaced ASAP. If you don't you could end up needing new discs as well as pads. This will cost a whole lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭aido123

how much would new pads be? My service in 10 days have parts and labour free (the garage is in limerick - i am in dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Brake pads aren't service parts, so you'll be charged extra for them anyway.

TychoCaine wrote:
    Brake pads aren't service parts, so you'll be charged extra for them anyway.
    all parts and labour are free for first 12 months i have been told by the garage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If it's a main dealer you'll be looking at about 120-150 euros for the pads fitted.

Unless you got some sort of "special servicing deal" when buying, neither the brake pads nor the service will be covered by warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

New pads should be approx €70, plus 0.5 hour labour IMO. Don't use cheap pads either or they'll be squealing like mad!!

I woulds recommend doing them straight away, if you don't you could risk scoring the discs & then you'll have to be replacing them too.

Any mechanic should be able to do them, I would specify OE pads (i.e. Renault) or alterna\tively pick them up yourself at a main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

aido123 wrote:
    all parts and labour are free for first 12 months i have been told by the garage
    .... except consumables.You'll find that stuff that is expected to wear out over time will be specifically included.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

There is a metal tab that sticks out of the brake pad that causes a rubbing noise when the pads are worn to their minimum level. Chances are that is the noise you are hearing at the moment. You need to get the pads changed soon but you aren't damaging the discs (yet!), provided it hasn't been like this for a period of months.

As said, use decent pads, as your brakes are the one area you shouldn't skimp on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

I'd reccomend gettin them done before you go in. If you go to advance pitstop or similar big chain like that it'll be way cheaper than gettin them done in a dealership

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

if the sound you hear is more like grinding then it is too late for the discs. New Pads and discs are the correct and safe way to deal with this and need changing immediately!!
    If it is a light sound then the wear tab that is on some cars may be giving you a warning.
    you don't mess with tyres brakes or suspension.

sundodger5 wrote:
    you don't mess with tyres brakes or suspension.

Or steering.

new brake pads and discs - 320EUR :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

That's what my last set cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

aido123 wrote:
    new brake pads and discs - 320EUR :(

do you have to replace the discs as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

sundodger5 wrote:
    if the sound you hear is more like grinding then it is too late for the discs. New Pads and discs are the correct and safe way to deal with this and need changing immediately!!

You must be joking! Even if you do score the disc the worst that will happen is that braking will be impaired until the new pads wear into the score lines. So long as you are not a muppet, this isn't a problem. (Stand on the breaks a few times from 60mph and you wont be long sorting matters...)

If you are the ultra cautious type then by all means put on new discs/get them reground... but it isn't necessary.

Dunno about a Renault, but a new set of genuine ford pads are about €40.

Sounds somewhat expensive. Not too far of a the main dealer price, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I remember one of the lads at work had a 2004 Megane and the car was recalled because of squeeky brakes. Apparently the wrong type or size of brake pad were originally fitted to the car. They were replaced by Renault on a number of Meganes, mostly saloons afaik. Might be a long shot but maybe worth checking with Renault to see if your car was affected and if so the pads were replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

What's important is: is your car still braking effectively and safely?

If it is then you have no major concerns.

As others have said *some* pads have an audiable warning feature: you may just be hearing this. The pad is running low.

If not, the backing on the pad is starting to rub against the disc (braking surface is worn away completely), and with time it will score the disc. Unless really very badly scored, which would take some time, this is not a problem.

Either way don't worry about it. 200 miles is ok (as long as your car still braking effectively and safely).

New front pads are around 25 euro a set, and armed with a socket set and a G-clamp take 20 mins to replace.

JHMEG wrote:
    What's important is: is your car still braking effectively and safely?

If it is then you have no major concerns.

As others have said *some* pads have an audiable warning feature: you may just be hearing this. The pad is running low.

If not, the backing on the pad is starting to rub against the disc (braking surface is worn away completely), and with time it will score the disc. Unless really very badly scored, which would take some time, this is not a problem.

Either way don't worry about it. 200 miles is ok (as long as your car still braking effectively and safely).

New front pads are around 25 euro a set, and armed with a socket set and a G-clamp take 20 mins to replace.

the pads were worn, i drove about 200 miles on them (from Mayo to Dublin and some dublin driving) because the pads were worn, they damaged the discs, i got a price from the main dealer and it was similar. I got mine in advance pitstop

320 fitted - the discs were 195

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Any scoring on the discs is a problem. as i said in my post the correct way is to change both.
    scoring will cause higher rate of wear to pads, uneven braking due to variation in surface area. etc.
    most discs have a limit of around 2 to 3mm of wear and scoring them will make short work of that.
    you usually see 2 sets of pads to 1 set of discs being the wear ratio.
    not many take the time to measure the wear of the discs. i have seen not doing so cause some fairly serious brake failures. and i only get to see the lucky ones who don't crash.
    you can cut corners if you like but.....

Brake discs can handle a certain amount of scoring, but too much scoring will have a negative effect on braking performance. The only way to say for sure is to inspect the disc. But hey, it's brakes so better safe than sorry - eh?

Advertisement