Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drugs Laws

• 23-07-2007 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey Im living in a student house, typical, everyone in the house is renting. Some of the people in the house sometimes bring in drugs like hash or other smokable drugs into the house, I take no part in this, in fact I want to ignore it, but I dont think i can. If the people were caught smoking these drugs in the house, would I face the same legal punishments as they would, just because I also live in the house and may or may not know what they are doing?

Any help help or advice on this would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Section 19 - Misuse of Drugs Act 1977

http://193.178.1.79/1977/en/act/pub/0012/sec0019.html#zza12y1977s19

19.—(1) A person who is the occupier or is in control or is concerned in the management of any land, vehicle or vessel and who knowingly permits or suffers any of the following to take place on the land, vehicle or vessel, namely—

( c ) the preparation of cannabis for smoking,

( d ) the smoking of cannabis, cannabis resin or prepared opium,

shall be guilty of an offence.

Penalty as amended in 1984 Act:

http://193.178.1.79/1984/en/act/pub/0018/sec0006.html#zza18y1984s6

(2) Subject to section 28 of this Act, every person guilty of an offence under section 6, 7, 16, 17, 19 or 20 of this Act shall be liable—

( a ) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding £1,000 or, at the discretion of the court, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding twelve months, or to both the fine and the imprisonment, or

( b ) on conviction on indictment, to a fine of such amount as the court considers appropriate or, at the discretion of the court, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years, or to both the fine and the imprisonment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sun_flower

Thank you for that information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

there was a case on this, cant remember the name of it, it was to do with a female school teacher, if i remember ill post it up lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

You can also be done for constructive possession of the cannabis and be convicted under s. 3 MDA for possession.

Advertisement