Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of changing networks: 3 or O2 ?

• 23-07-2007 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm currently with Meteor, on the €60 per month package.

I live in Leixlip, and since Meteor started to piggyback off Vodaphone (they were previously with O2) the coverage is brutal.
    I have contacted Meteor about it, but there is pretty much nothing they can do about it.

As a result I'm gonna switch.

So I'm looking at O2 or 3.

I'd like to give 3 a go as I've never been on the 3 network....Is their coverage OK ?
    Also, My parents are down the country in Westmeath, so I'd be worried that the 3 coverage might not be up to scratch there...

What would people recommend ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Common misconception that since 3 are new their coverage wouldnt be the best

In fact 3 have the best network in ireland, in places like leixlip your guranteed full 3G coverage, and probably most of the time in Westmeath

also there 2G coverage covers over 99% of the country because it uses the vodafone network (dont worry you still pay 3 prices. nothing changes)

So there is no were in ireland were you will have no coverage with 3 in ireland

Ive been with 3 for two years now, im on the talk and text 100 which costs me €25 a month and i get 100mins and 100 texts a month, but check www.three.ie and you can look at all the price plans and which one would suit you best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maxitwist

there coverage seems to be exactly the same as Vodafones where I am (country in galway) always have normal coverage and 3g comes and goes (mostly goes!) but the same with vodafone, whenever one of my friends with vodafone have 3g coverage, so do i. Strange. sorta.

02 have much worse coverage than vodafone & 3 but better that meteors though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

3 are good for coverage. Check www.callcosts.ie to see which network gives you the best value. Its more than likely three. They have some very good value packages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

cooperguy wrote:
    3 are good for coverage. Check www.callcosts.ie to see which network gives you the best value. Its more than likely three. They have some very good value packages
    i wish people would stop quoting that site. it only takes into account the most basic tariff info, no special offers like meteor and vodafone's free texts on pre pay for example. its pretty much useless tbh

if you make no calls and send 5000 texts, on both meteor and vodafone it'll cost you €20. callcosts says it'll cost €444 and €526 respectively. useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

also there 2G coverage covers over 99% of the country because it uses the vodafone network
    Hmmm.....

Tempted by 3 now, but seeing as you say they use Vodafone network I'm skeptical.
    Meteor also piggybacks on Vodafone network when there is no meteor coverage, and the reception is terrible in Leixlip (Well in my house anyhow) with Meteor,; I'm afraid that I'd also have that crap coverage with 3 then.....

The only way I'd find out is to try them......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

deadl0ck wrote:
    Hmmm.....

Tempted by 3 now, but seeing as you say they use Vodafone network I'm skeptical.
    Meteor also piggybacks on Vodafone network when there is no meteor coverage, and the reception is terrible in Leixlip (Well in my house anyhow) with Meteor,; I'm afraid that I'd also have that crap coverage with 3 then.....

The only way I'd find out is to try them......
    I thought meteor are now piggybacking on the o2 network.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭massivemagumbos

in my opinion with them and my sister and friend with them, their customer services is hopeless once something goes wrong.

Also, they advertise that their talk 400 is 49euro when vodafone perfect fit 400 is 69 euro. both have 400 minutes included in the bundle. However, 3 fail to mention that u get free vodafone to vodafone calls. and with 3, u get free 3 to 3 calls. I think free calls to over 2million people on vodafone is worth a little more than 20euro a month.

3's prepay texting is flawless, 5c every type of message. but still, hopeless service and very poor service infrastructure.

OH, and their "mobile broadband" is the most garden walled piece of kit i've ever seen in my life!!! its horrible!!

I thought meteor are now piggybacking on the o2 network.
    They were up to a few months ago, and my coverage was perfect, but then they switched their piggybacking to Vodafone

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

OH, and their "mobile broadband" is the most garden walled piece of kit i've ever seen in my life!!! its horrible!!
    It used to be but not any more.

deadl0ck wrote:
    They were up to a few months ago, and my coverage was perfect, but then they switched their piggybacking to Vodafone
    I thought it was the other way round. That they were piggybacking with vodafone and are now doing it with o2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

It used to be but not any more.

I can second that. They have their own content, which is fine, but if you have the broadband bundle, you can look at anything you want. I use Opera Mini as it stores the last few pages in memory to flick back to whereas with the Nokia browser, you have to wait to reload the page each time.

Also, I am using AFT on 3 to send my texts. They cost me 1c each through SMSdiscount. To anywhere in the world.

I have used both Vodafone and 3 in the past. Vodafone are awful. I have used 3 customer service quite a bit and if you have no problems with an indian accent then they are great.

Also, I am using AFT on 3 to send my texts. They cost me 1c each through SMSdiscount. To anywhere in the world.

What's AFT ?

I assume this is SMSdiscount ?

All sounds interesting - any further info you could provide would be great.

What type of handset do you have ?
    I'm looking at the Nokia N73 as I need something that can sync with Lotus Notes for work.

deadl0ck wrote:
    What's AFT ?

I'm looking at the Nokia N73 as I need something that can sync with Lotus Notes for work.

This is it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

deadl0ck wrote:
    What's AFT ?

There are loads of posts on here about AFT. I think it is maybe a guy called dal or donutface who has set it up.

I have an N73 which is brilliant.Really good speakers. I am a Nordie and I can use the Real Player and mobile broadband to listen to Radio Ulster when I am out and about. Also you can listen to Radio 5 Live on it for the football matches or any other BBC Radio station for that matter, even those that aren't in English.

I cannot endorse 3 mobile with a Nokia N73 and AFT enough.

3 offer 200 texts for €9.99 per month. But it is an add on so you don't have to take it. I cancelled my text, spent the 9.99 on mobile broadband and that is what AFT uses to link in to SMSDiscount.

You have to deposit €10 with SMSDiscount through paypal and I think there may be a 1.50 charge to do that. But it definitely works out cheaper. Especially as I have friends in the UK and US who I text.

Sounds good !
    Thanks for the info :)

Thanks to all for the advice.

I went with 3, Talk400 and 250MB Data package. Only have it a few days but I'm VERY impressed so far.

Just waiting for my MicroSD card to arrive now so I can install a few more apps !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

deadl0ck wrote:
    Thanks to all for the advice.

I went with 3, Talk400 and 250MB Data package. Only have it a few days but I'm VERY impressed so far.

You'd be even more impressed if you had a HSDPA phone:D

Advertisement