Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a quiet DVD drive

Options
  • 23-07-2007 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭

I'm so sick of my NEC DVD burner and LG DVD reader. Everytime either spins up to read a disc its like a dodgy old washing machine starting its spin cycle. I was thinking of building a HTPC and putting one of these drives in it but I couldnt stand listening to the DVD drive whirring and groaning every 5 minutes while watching a DVD, so my question is do quiet DVD drives exist?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Plextor drives are the answer, not sure if you have to buy Plextools Pro after which is a lame catch but either way in Plextools there is the ability to set the read speed in the firmware of the drive thereby keeping it under control at all times.

Samsung drives also have a speed control utility although I do not know if it works on all their models but Samsungs are generally quiet.

Last option is a software one that controls the speed but this can be fairly quirky in use unless you disable auto insert notification but even then disc detection can be a bit odd. Also outside of Windows the speed will not be controlled.

So my suggestion would be to get one of the PX-800 or PX810's drives from Plextor & then get Plextools Pro XL if the drive only comes with the basic version.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

8T8 wrote:
    Plextor drives are the answer, not sure if you have to buy Plextools Pro after which is a lame catch but either way in Plextools there is the ability to set the read speed in the firmware of the drive thereby keeping it under control at all times.

Samsung drives also have a speed control utility although I do not know if it works on all their models but Samsungs are generally quiet.

Last option is a software one that controls the speed but this can be fairly quirky in use unless you disable auto insert notification but even then disc detection can be a bit odd. Also outside of Windows the speed will not be controlled.

So my suggestion would be to get one of the PX-800 or PX810's drives from Plextor & then get Plextools Pro XL if the drive only comes with the basic version.

Excellent stuff. I see now looking at the price of plextor drives compared to others that you have to pay a premium for silence.

Advertisement