Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best value cable BB, that works

Options
  • 23-07-2007 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

what's the best value cable BB? don't want a phone, just the BB.

with ntl at the mo, but it's always on the blink, good price, €30 a month for 3meg line, but it just don't work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only UPC does cable BB (ex Chorus/NTL), unless you live in CaseyVision land (Dungarvin?).

Your only other options are DSL/Metro/Wireless/3G/DigiwebMobile depending on your location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

ah krap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

What about Magnet? Are they not in certain areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

brim4brim wrote:
    What about Magnet? Are they not in certain areas?
    They aren't cable though, fiber/adsl2.

ok, i guess wireless is ok..... just no phone line, don't need a phone, so see no need to pay line rental.

is anyone with imagine?

• Advertisement

alienhead wrote:
    ok, i guess wireless is ok..... just no phone line, don't need a phone, so see no need to pay line rental.

is anyone with imagine?
    Your going to need a phone line with imagine. Where are you based? might help in giving you advice as most services that don't require phone lines are only in certain areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Imagine aren't Wireless, they re-sell eircom ADSL.

For wireless the only decent option seems to be Digiweb Metro. Clearwire isn't worth talking about, likewise Ripwave. IBB Breeze doesn't seem to have any complaints lately.

Before you decide which would be the best you should first check what's available. With sparse coverage from all the wireless operators you may not have any choice at all.

in raheny. i'll have a look at digiweb.....

ok, here's the digiweb that would interest me,

3Mb
    €34.99
    (€28.92 ex VAT)
    €99
    (€87.22 ex VAT)
    Yes
    yes
    Yes
    30Gb
    36:1
    Yes
    1 Static

in your opions, would this be a better deal than ntl's 3meg line, which is €30...... €5 less, but worth it if it works, also, you get a phone.......... which i don't really need, but incoming calls could be handy.

alienhead wrote:
    in raheny. i'll have a look at digiweb.....

ok, here's the digiweb that would interest me,

3Mb
    €34.99
    (€28.92 ex VAT)
    €99
    (€87.22 ex VAT)
    Yes
    yes
    Yes
    30Gb
    36:1
    Yes
    1 Static

in your opions, would this be a better deal than ntl's 3meg line, which is €30...... €5 less, but worth it if it works, also, you get a phone.......... which i don't really need, but incoming calls could be handy.
    Digiweb over Ntl definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

According to others posts here, Metro's phone isn't all that great but VOIP works great over the Broadband for some reason. So their own service isn't as good as Skype/Blueface/whatever.

I use Breeze and like I've said in a lot of threads here, we are getting what we pay for. The vast majority of the time it is working at 240KB/s for a 2Mbps package with unlimited downloads. I download a lot and use Xbox Live on top of tv series downloads for my movie player for my commute and I'm sharing with 3 other guys who all use Youtube and tv-links.co.uk and it works fine. I have spotted it running at 50KB/s once or twice but I'm not sure who else in the house was online at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Well for most people the metro phone works better than Blueface or Skype. A few people on 2 dublin bases seem to be having problem. But elsewhere it seems fine. But in any case you only pay for calls you actually make. I only find Skype useful for PC to PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I haven't heard of any resold products, but I do know Magnet use LLU and offer speeds of up to 10 Mbps, now for businesses only. They also use fibre in apartment developments. The only money they give eircom is the €14 odd per month for the use of the customer's phone line.

The fibre and the TV service they provide, would be effectively similar to digital cable TV, though I don't know if it's good or bad.

Advertisement