Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piri Piri sauce

• 23-07-2007 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Where can I buy this and what is in it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Key ingredient - South African / Portuguese birds-eye Chillies. Then there's typically other stuff like herbs, spices, lime, that kind of thing.. Best place to buy it Portugal or South Africa, but failing that, you'll find variants in most well stocked supermarkets.

There's a food chain called Nandos (not in Ireland sadly) that sell PiriPiri marinades and dipping sauces, that are usually available in most mainstream supermarkets (Try Tescos).. It'll usually be stocked with their tabasco sauces, chilli sauces etc., though I've noticed they don't carry Nandos as much as they used to.

Usually (but not exclusively eaten with chicken).

But don't take my word for it, look it up: here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

got a jar of piri piri marinade in M&S a few weeks ago.
    quite tasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

When oh WHEN will we have Nando's in Ireland??!

I think we should start a petition.

BTW - you can get Nando's sauces in Superquinn (I think, or maybe Tesco, or both?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭che81

i also bought that piri piri relish from m&s. it's a relish, not the actual sauce that you would add to chicken. i have been using it in sandwiches. in portugal you can buy a chilli sauce that's called piri piri, but that's more for spicing up food at the table, than for cooking. great for chicken wings.

anyway Piri Piri is quite easy to make. it's basically a marinade for chicken or prawns.

this is my family's recipe. it's very easy to make.

2 garlic cloves
    2-3 birds eye chillis
    tbsp salt
    1 dried bay leaf crushed
    4 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp vinegar (or lemon juice)

take the first 4 ingredients and make a paste in a pestle and mortar or food pocessor and then add the oil and vinegar. pour over chicken and let sit for 2-4 hours, or 30 mins on the prawns. then either bbq or oven cook (finishing off under the grill) basting with the marinade every so often.

the one i got is a marinade. they must have two kinds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,322 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This place stocks Nandos Piri Piri sauce, they're at 4 Strand Street Great, near Capel Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

I have piri piri seasoning from Schwartz. Think I got it in super value

Sprinkle it over chicken breasts and grill. Mmmmmmmm and hot, hot, hot :cool:

actually, the one i got from m&s is "tequila, piri piri & lime marinade".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭che81

sorry about that nice1franko. i was in M&S yesterday and i noticed that marinade. i bought nando's once and it was fine, but the marinade is so easy to make from scratch i wouldn't really bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I got the M&S relish one, very nice. I think I have seen other piri piri stuff in the filipino shop in dun laoghaire, opposite walters pub

Advertisement