Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ride-on mowers & disposing of clippings

Options
  • 23-07-2007 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

We have a half-acre garden, and while I use a good 6.5hp 21-inch mower, it still takes a long time to mow. And with the weather we're having, it's growing like mad, whilst the dry opportunities to mow are few!

I'm considering getting a ride-on mower, but I have some Qs. Firstly, how do I get one home? A vendor might deliver it, but then how do I get it back annually for a service? I presume you need a trailer? I don't even have a tow bar!

And also, what can I do with the grass? At the moment, I mostly use a mulcher because I can't work out what to do with the clippings. Last time I collected the grass, I had to empty the container over 40 times! :eek: I only do this every so often and throw the clippings into the neighbouring field. I hope the farmer doesn't mind, but I only do it 2 or 3 times a year. Rest of the time I leave the mulched clippings down.

But with a ride-on, I'd prefer to collect clippings, but don't know what to do with them. In addition, how easy would it be to throw them over the wall on occasion - could I even lift the full container?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If you have that much space, consider putting in a compost and a clippings bin. You aren't supposed to add grass cuttings to compost as it's too liquidy and needs roughage, but if you store the clippings in a seperate area, like a second compost heap, they will take care of themselves and break-down over a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Thanks 10-10-20.
    I've thought about that, but there's simply too much clippings for a compost heap. 30 - 40 containers every time I mow, multiplied by all the mowings in a year! :eek: And mowing takes me more than twice as long when I collect and empty.

I can't be the only one looking for a solution to this - anyone who has a septic tank has to half a half-acre plot minimum. What does everyone else do with their clippings?

My solution is to use the mulcher fitment on the mower, but that's far from ideal because it's returning all the weeds to the lawn (which are rampant). And I can't let the grass grow too long before cutting, or the mulcher won't do the job properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 hjsimpson

I have over half an acre of lawn and a ride-on and i always mulch even when its a bit long.........the weeds will go eventually , this is my second season and the weeds are less than last year even with the bad weather.
    Cutting and gathering leaves an awful pile of s***e that is no good even for fertilizer on its own. if you had a little trailer with mesh sides you could take the grass to a local farmer and add it to his manure pile....dont put it over the wall....especially if there are horses or donkeys...as lawn clippings can kill them.

This our 4th season and the weeds have been getting worse every year (as is the moss in winter), despite using 'Weed & Feed'. I've not used that this year though, as if the grass grew even faster it would kill me! :eek: I plan to just use spray weed killer for lawns with no fertilizer.

There are no animals over the wall except for some cows kept there intermittently, but I agree I can't be dumping stuff regularly - there would be a mountain by the end of the summer! :eek:

hjsimpson, regarding my question about servicing ride-ons: do you have to take it on a trailer annually to service it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Most modern ride-ons will mulch and collect.

I alternate every cut, and when I do collect I sprinkle the clippings around our flower beds and at the base of our hedging. Keeps the weeds down.

• Advertisement

prospect wrote:
    when I do collect I sprinkle the clippings around our flower beds and at the base of our hedging. Keeps the weeds down.
    What? :eek:
    Surely that would spread weeds around? That's the problem I have with mulching - it's putting all the weeds (seeds) back on to the lawn....

Anyway, around all of our beds we have plantex sheeting covered with pebbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Mulch acts to keep the weeds down by suppressing the light and air reaching the soil. So, it's a catch 22 for the weed seeds - they get spread around as nature intended, but suppressed by the method of dispersal...!

Don't treat grass-cuttings as bio-hazard - learn to utilise it effectively!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 hjsimpson

Yea I have a little trailer for mine but most people get the service guy to pick up and deliver back.......costs very little extra if anything

Thanks hj,
    I will enquire about that possibility when I go window shopping.

Anyone got any recommendations for what to look for in a good ride-on?

The Advertiser last week had mention of a sale at the dealer near Westside who is the only one in Galway selling Hondas - I presume that would be a good starting point, although I know there are other good makes. I've only ever looked at them briefly, but would be prepared to spend more to get the optimum power and size. No point in compromising when you're spending 3 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

hjsimpson wrote:
    I have over half an acre of lawn and a ride-on and i always mulch even when its a bit long.........the weeds will go eventually , this is my second season and the weeds are less than last year even with the bad weather.
    Cutting and gathering leaves an awful pile of s***e that is no good even for fertilizer on its own. if you had a little trailer with mesh sides you could take the grass to a local farmer and add it to his manure pile....dont put it over the wall....especially if there are horses or donkeys...as lawn clippings can kill them.

We have half an acre and loads of space over our fence for grass cuttings and we have a wheel barrow and dump them neatly under the hedging and it disintegrates over the winter. Sometimes there are horses in the field and the owner has no problem about they eating the grass cuttings. They love it. Then we don't add anything like moss killer or weed killer on our grass. During the spring we have primroses dotted here and there which is a sure sign of close on organic grass! But the horses come and go, and they are alive and kicking!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 djo

If you in Galway Harrys over in ballybrit also do some good deals (end of season is always good to get a deal ) I got a 15.5 hp castle garden for €2500 last year,
    Connaught Gold stores do a stiga for around that price too.
    Alot of the brands are all the same underneath just with different style Bonnets,
    they will deliver the mower as part of the deal, as to servicing ask them if they can do a pickup & return service & how Much €€

I believe Barna waste accept cuttings (for a price)in their recycling centre however you going to have to find a way to get them there. a towbar maybr required if y can borrow a trailer. :D

P.s. dont forget to factor in a shed to store your mower :eek:
    thx
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Gwynston wrote:
    What? :eek:
    Surely that would spread weeds around? That's the problem I have with mulching - it's putting all the weeds (seeds) back on to the lawn....

Anyway, around all of our beds we have plantex sheeting covered with pebbles.

Nope, not at all, it keeps the weeds down, a layer about 1"-2" thick, means no smell, and no weeds.

If you have plantex an pebbles that system is no much use to you. (Do you have perimeter hedging, can you spread it around the base of it?)

For those who have not yet gone to that expense, a nice even layer of grass cuttings does nealry as good a job, it is cheaper, and it is ahandy way to get rid of cut grass.

Advertisement